Crested gecko gone vicious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crested gecko gone vicious?

My crested gecko (Stevie) has recently gone less friendly to say the least. I've had him for just over 2 years now and I recently started feeding him live food but now whenever he sees my had he goes for it, even when I haven't given him live food. When he goes for me I try not to flinch but the idea of him biting me scares me. He's bit me once resulting in him making a break for it and nearly running up the walls. After that I haven't really been able to handle him. He never used to be like this and I'm starting to think giving him live food was the worst thing I've done for him. I just don't know what to do because it's now getting to the point where I'm constant on edge when I have to change his food. I hope someone can help 😊

I don't think he's being vicious. If you've been feeding him bugs by hand or putting bugs in his cage with your hand, he probably associates your hand with food. I have a couple who even launch themselves at the glass whenever they see something moving on the other side. One thing you could try is offering bugs with a pair of long handled forceps or tweezers. Then he may learn to associate the food with the forceps instead of your hand. Another option may be to feed him bugs in a separate container.

Comment

If you've only started doing the live feeding recently, what I've found useful is to feed more bugs at each feeding so he doesn't seem as anxious for them. He's not being mean, he is just bug hungry! I've had most cases of that settle down after a few weeks of heavy bug feeding. But don't do it often and don't forget CGD is very important and he should be eating that most of the time.
      Specializing in Crested Geckos
      Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
      Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
      Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

How many insects should I feed him at a time and how often? I'm just curious but what insects do you recommend?

Comment

I have been using bright blue feeding tweezers which are easier to feed him but as soon as he sees my hand I still think he thinks it's food.

Comment

I would dump in 6 appropriate sized crickets from a cup and walk away. It is enough to fill up your gecko and allow it to hunt for the food, rather than getting a handout. My little ones associate the popping of the kk top door with food because I always feed them through it. When I pull the whole lid off to do routine maintenance... no associaton or response. Maybe try tapping on the top of the enclosure right when you put the food in. After a while the association may be made and then you can reach in without tapping and get a different response. Hope this helps.

Comment

Okay I'll try that. Thanks

Comment

No problem. It shouldn't take too long to condition them... just don't expect everything to change in a day.

Comment

if only it did happen over night things would be so much easier currently he keeps going for any thing that moves in or near his viv including my hand so I don't know how to carefully get his food out to change it without bothering him to much.

Comment

Working...
                  X