Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it safe to have a crestie with four cats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it safe to have a crestie with four cats?

I have four cats, and I recently have been thinking of getting a crested gecko. Is it safe to get one?

My cat has never noticed that there is a gecko in the tank....he just wanders by....but that's mine, not sure about yours.

Comment

Just make sure the tank lid is secured in a way that the cats can't open it themselves, and obviously never leave the cats near it unsupervised when it's out.

Comment

If you have laid back cats that are used to other animals then it will probably be fine, if you are unsure of how they will act towards a gecko then keep the gecko in a room that the cats can not get into. Also make sure the enclosure you get is very very secure.
        1.1.6 Crested geckos
        -Alduin-
        -Gidget-
        -Meriadoc--Peregrin--Setsuna--Hotaru--Siren--Naiad-

Comment

One cat noticed the cage, inspected and that was it. I don't think either of them knows there's a gecko- even when it's in my hand inches from their faces

Of course, all cats are different. Yours might or might not react

Comment

It can be a hazard. This post was just made: http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...-gone-too-soon were her/his cat knocked over the enclosure and then ate the two crested geckos inside. If you can keep your geckos in a room the cats aren't allowed in its better as there have been a lot of posts about cats breaking through the screens on tanks etc and killing the geckos inside.

Comment

You must take precautions to prevent the cats from perching on screen lids if the cats have access to them. Cat here will sleep on the screen lids if given a chance.

Comment

I have four cats, but only one is a problem. She's one of my Sphynx, and is obsessed with anything smaller than herself. She should have been Dr. Evil's cat. She opens cupboard doors, she has ripped through the top of one small exo terra screen top cage and killed the tarantula inside. When I look after the geckos in the evenings she follows me around to each cage and sticks her head inside or snatches at the gecko if she gets a chance. One of my geckos is in a clear acrylic cage, this drives her nuts. The gecko inside actually tries to pounce on her if she gets too close. I have to cover the cage at night and place a big rock on top to keep her from pulling the cover off. I've tried everything from compressed air cans with motion sensors, to spray bottles, to spikey mats that are supposed to keep them off. Nothing works on her. I put boards on top of the screen cages, and the smaller cages that she can knock over get shut away out of reach when I'm not around.

Strangely, she doesn't bother with my roaches or any crickets I'm keeping. She's learned to leave my rabbit alone (rabbit growls and chases her!) and my axolotls (she fell in one of the tanks while I was cleaning it).

Comment

It depends on the cats, I have a cat and 2 geckos and haven't had a problem yet. However I do keep the geckos in a separate room that the cat isn't allowed in to avoid any possible problems since the mess on the top of their tanks probably would be much of a barrier for the cat if she really wanted to get into the tanks. I even have my geckos out in the same room as the cat and she's learned to stay away from them if they are out (as in they are sitting with me not free roaming or anything like that), she'll watch them but won't get too close, that being said I would never leave them unsupervised.
                  Two female cresties
                  Okeg and Chomper

Comment

There have been many, many accidents with cats and geckos. Cats can and do knock over tanks. If you don't have a room to keep the tank where the cats could be locked out of, I would be aware that something bad could absolutely happen.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Creptileroom

Comment

Don't forget that escaped geckos are also a possibility, and the odds of survival are lower with cats in the house. I've opted to not keep cats because of the risks.
                      Specializing in Crested Geckos
                      Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                      Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                      Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Keeping the geckos in an enclosed room decreases the chances of them being caught by a cat since I hear they tend to stay in the same room. I had one lost in this room for about two weeks. I blocked off the bottom of the door and left water out.

Comment

I have one and 4 cats. It may stress him out if they constantly crawl on top of his cage and stuff, but I just kick my cats out of my room or spray them with water lol. I honestly don't think my gecko cares. Just don't let the cat eat him

Comment

Two of our geckos have lost their tails to my cats when we kept our enclosures in a public part of the house!! We've also had multiple instances of the cats getting the geckos out of their cages, and I count us incredibly lucky that no one died or was permanently lost, honestly. At least one of my geckos was mauled, and again, I think we're incredibly lucky that he didn't die of his wounds or the shock. Obviously, some of the other keepers on this thread haven't had any problems with their (laid-back) cats and their geckos cohabiting, but I would urge you to be extremely careful if you do decide to bring a crestie home.

We eventually moved all of our enclosures to the bedroom and instituted a no-cats rule. That did minimize the incidents we were having, but both of my monsters know that the geckos are in there, and will try to get in and get at the lizards whenever they can. Just last night I walked in to go to bed and found Binxie, who I would have sworn was outside, laying on the mesh top of one of the vivs with the screen ajar. Lucky again-- both of the gecks in that cage were still inside and apparently hadn't been bothered. But it easily could have been a story with a different and much sadder ending!

So if you want to keep a crestie with your cats, the byword really needs to be CAUTION. I really wouldn't recommend it unless you have somewhere in the house that you can keep your cats out of-- even the most laid-back cat has the capacity to surprise you when its prey drive gets activated.
                            3.3.3 Crested geckos (Dirge, Thrust, Cheetor. Hijack, Crita, Quakke. Rung, Blackout, Dragstrip)
                            2.0 Domestic shorthair cats (Riffraff, Binx)
                            0.1 Australian shepherd/chihuahua mix (Luna)

Comment

Working...
                            X