OPEN DISCUSSION #4 feeding from ledges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPEN DISCUSSION #4 feeding from ledges

What are your thoughts on the use of feeding ledges. Do you think they promote exercise over feeding from the ground? Do you use them? What benefits are the for crested geckos by using ledges?

I used to make my own stands out of polycarbonate to feed from raised platforms, but with the use of magnets, like those used in the Pangea feeding ledge, I find it much easier for the hobbyist to utilize this method of feeding. I have heard some people gripe about the price point, but if you understand the material and labor involved, it is really not too bad. I find that ordering one or two, every time I pick up food, is a good way to go and it isn't too rough on the wallet. With having geckos confined to enclosures, I find that it is a great way to promote activity by moving them around and having the geckos actively seek out food, rather than eat out of the stationary ground troft.

I use the one offered by the store with the magnets. About the price it doesn't bother me back ill use them for tge adults, an the one that sit on the bottom of the cage for juvenile an babies. As for activity i usally move it around to different areas of the tank or tub. Sometimes i put a stick to get to it others no.
    Crested geckos 4:5:15
    Chewie. 0:1:1

http://www.facebook.com/cjgeckos

Comment

I like ledges because it helps to keep the dishes clean, especially if you have substrate.. you don't want dirt to get kicked into the dish or water.
      I also use the ones in the Pangea store (the .5 oz cups). I felt the prices were fair.. though I'd like to find some bowls that are washable ceramic instead of just disposable plastic.

Petrie also seems to like eating on a ledge.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	10277472_10207311753420591_2933398815421582025_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1067867

Comment

I prefer the feeding ledges. I also find it easier to feed them from ledges VS putting the food dishies on the ground. This may be due to mostly housing them in fish tanks with screen lids.

Comment

I also prefer feeding with a ledge. I have the Pangea ledge. I second the vote for ceramic dishes. I wish I could find some that fit. Disposable plastic cups are bad for the environment. I recycle the used ones, but not everyone does. I'm searching for ramekins that fit the ledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree on reusable cups...maybe when I get back into ceramics I can make some.

Comment

if anyone finds .5 oz ceramic cups, please let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by DracoKat View Post
                if anyone finds .5 oz ceramic cups, please let me know!
                The dollar store could be your friend! That's where I get my ledges (clear plastic soap dishes with large suction cups) and my tiny ceramic food dishes that fit on the soap dishes. The dishes are normally used for dips or sauces, and come in different shapes. The soap dishes can be removed from the suction cups for cleaning.

Re feeding on a ledge vs. the ground. A couple of my geckos will only eat on the ground. I occasionally put dishes in different spots to see if it affects the gecko's eating. The big issue I find with the ledges is that they try to sleep on the ledge and spill the food everywhere. My "ledge sleepers" get their dish on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Creepella View Post
                  The dollar store could be your friend! That's where I get my ledges (clear plastic soap dishes with large suction cups) and my tiny ceramic food dishes that fit on the soap dishes. The dishes are normally used for dips or sauces, and come in different shapes. The soap dishes can be removed from the suction cups for cleaning.

Re feeding on a ledge vs. the ground. A couple of my geckos will only eat on the ground. I occasionally put dishes in different spots to see if it affects the gecko's eating. The big issue I find with the ledges is that they try to sleep on the ledge and spill the food everywhere. My "ledge sleepers" get their dish on the ground.
                  lol, good idea! Though I am picky. I like to have my set up natural looking as possible. Maybe I'll find some soap dishes that looks like stone or something..

Comment

The clear soap dishes (in fact, all plastic soap dishes) have holes or slits in them. I string plastic vines through them, or use a bit of fishing line to tie plants to them. McGyver should have been my middle name.

Comment

I haven't got a *feeding ledge* yet as i could not afford it... however i bought 2 *gut loading jelly pots* one for the bugs and one to tip out to use as a food dish... what i did with the *food Dish* was open my *split vine* a bit and put it in the gap that opened... when i got him hoe he *inspected* it but has not yet used it And thank you for the PM reply about that Tom
                      If all you want from life is *Roses* and life gives you Roses... Then how are you going to smell anything else?

Comment

A quick recommendation regarding the washable ceramics - some glass candle holders are small enough to fit into the feeding ledges. I have not had any ledges fall due the weight of the glass - way to go on those magnets, Pangea! I tested this using cgd, water, and even dubias.

I avoided having geckos messing food up on ledges by just giving them more than one elevated ledge-like area. If the ledges that don't act as feeding stations are better covered by leaves or places they can wedge into, they tend to choose those for sleeping and let feeding ledges be feeding ledges :-)
                        iherp

Comment

I make my own feeding ledges. Very simple to make if you have access to a band saw, silicone and magnets.
                          I used to keep dish's on the ground, but they were often flipped over by the little fatty's I got.
                          Also, I found the chances of them defecating in their food was much lower with the dish's in/on a ledge, rather then below on the ground.
                          I use the little disposable dish's, used and recycled.... or Vitamin water bottle caps for the young 'ins.

Trevor
                          Grippin Geckos Canada
                          4.7.1⚥? - Correlophus Ciliatus
                          1.1.0⚥? - Mniarogekko Chahoua
                          0.1.1⚥? - Rhacodactylus Auriculatus... and MORE...

http://www.grippingeckos.com/
                          https://www.facebook.com/Grippin-Gec...9775225992793/

Comment

I'm admittedly a total newbie, but I've been using these with some success! $6 at PetSmart. Click image for larger version

Name:	pPETNA-5011361_main_t300x300.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1067900

Comment

Originally posted by Grippin Geckos Canada View Post
                              I make my own feeding ledges. Very simple to make if you have access to a band saw, silicone and magnets.
                              I used to keep dish's on the ground, but they were often flipped over by the little fatty's I got.
                              Also, I found the chances of them defecating in their food was much lower with the dish's in/on a ledge, rather then below on the ground.
                              I use the little disposable dish's, used and recycled.... or Vitamin water bottle caps for the young 'ins.

Trevor
                              Funnily enough, I have the opposite problem. I find poop in the food dishes on ledges with way more frequency than I do the dishes on the viv floor. Interesting!

That said, I do like my ledges, and I quite like the idea of offering food on multiple ledges to encourage the geckos to move around. I might have to build up my stock of ledges and give that a try!
                              3.3.3 Crested geckos (Dirge, Thrust, Cheetor. Hijack, Crita, Quakke. Rung, Blackout, Dragstrip)
                              2.0 Domestic shorthair cats (Riffraff, Binx)
                              0.1 Australian shepherd/chihuahua mix (Luna)

Comment

Working...
                              X