new gecko chit chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new gecko chit chat

I just got my first and tiny crested gecko the day before yesterday.

Her (?) name is Saoirse but it's pronounced seersha. Anyway, I am a little obsessed. I noticed that the guy at the store said that she wouldn't hang out on the floor of the terrarium but she seems to really like the floor. Is that common or are they all just different or is she unusual?

I was really happy because I bought her a mango today and she was really into it.

I haven't handled her yet other than taking her into a tub to hunt for crickets. I'm having a bit of trouble picking her up just for fun. Maybe it hasn't been long enough yet. I'm trying to lead her onto my hand but there's so many bushes in the way that I end up scaring her. Hopefully as time goes by she will get more used to it.

She is very small for her age... it was hard for the people at the store to believe she is one year old already. I hope I can keep her well into my 40s.

Anyway I just felt like introducing myself and it will be lovely to meet all of you. I know I don't have any real questions it's just the family is sick of me talking about Saoirse.

Caitlin

you should do what the reptile house does with my crested whenever i go to handle him (until he old enough to bring home in 2 weeks) if there are too much shrubs in the way, move them every time you want to get him/her out, this will be easier on the gecko too (you will lower the risk of picking up wrong or grabbing tail), if your shurbs are live then it will be difficult
    If all you want from life is *Roses* and life gives you Roses... Then how are you going to smell anything else?

Comment

OK thank you so much!

Comment

you are welcome... and as you only got her the other day it is recomended not to handle them for at least a few days (unless, as you say, it is for feeding time) after a few days you can introduce handling slowly (five minutes a day and slowly increase to no more than 30 minutes a day... That's what the official advice says anyway), others here may hate me for this, but the reptile house who is holding onto mine until he is big enough to come home in 2 weeks has said as long as i was gentile and it did not aggrivate him, i could handle him until they told me to stop... 20 minutes later... we know (beleive) he was fine with that ammount of time, because each time we put him back in his viv, he says *Nope, not gonna happen!!! i want my daddy!!!* and tries to jump back to me.

Please understand i woudln't have handled him for that long unless a professional said it was ok... The owner has been keeping and breeding all kinds of reptiles for at least 10 years, so i trust him with Xilas's life!
        If all you want from life is *Roses* and life gives you Roses... Then how are you going to smell anything else?

Comment

I managed to handle her for about 4 minutes this afternoon. She seemed to really like it! I think she trusts me more and more. She is such a little bitty thing and likes to crawl up my arm and do hops. (obviously) I am excited that she's doing well.

Comment

as i said, she just needed to settle in (give her a few more days and she will be loving you in no time )

Comment

Working...
            X