• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arojas7112
    replied

Leave a comment:

• arojas7112
    replied
    It can be expensive! It's just funny something as inexpensive and simple can go a long way for them. I use paper rolls in all my enclosures for hatchlings to breeders to just pets that I don't plan on breeding and a lot of the time I can find them hidden inside these things! I have a couple KK that were given to me with cresties and I just use smaller paper rolls for those enclosures. Doesn't look natural in a nice viv but you can just cover them in plants and your gecko will still find its way inside.

Leave a comment:

• Graham Barnfield
    replied
    yes i was thinking that for his viv (cork can be quite expensive i have seen) but as i say, bit by bit

and thanks for the confidence

Leave a comment:

• arojas7112
    replied
    Nobody is gonna hate you Granham! What you're doing is perfectly fine! Just make sure that you have whatever crested gecko diet you are gonna feed your gecko ready in hand! Your gecko is gonna be happy living inside the enclosure you've set up. What I would recommend is you get either a toilet paper roll or the roll from paper towels and cut it in half. Geckos love to hide in rolls as it makes them feel safe. You'd be giving him many options to choose from to feel comfortable!

Leave a comment:

• Graham Barnfield
    replied
    Do we not have a *delete thread* option like most forums? (i think this thread should be closed now?) thank you

Leave a comment:

• Graham Barnfield
    replied
    Sorry, i created a new post about this itself (you can see it near the top) sorry for any inconvenience guys

But thank you

Leave a comment:

• InventorReptiles
    replied
    The cheap hydrometers and thermometers aren't very reliable. I recommend buying a digital or more expensive set.The tank should dry out during the humidity cycle as otherwise you'll get mold.

Leave a comment:

• Graham Barnfield
    replied
    hi guys... 2 updates:

1... i think the analouge therm and Hygrometers are broken??? Basically i have kept it going today as well... came back home just now, the temp will not rise above 23 (celsius) and the humidity wont go above 51%... Is this bad? or in the safe levels (Xilas is not with me yet, its just a dry run)

2... a bit annoyed that the reptile house won't let me take him for another 2 weeks, although i can understand this, it is a bit annoying because i have read (and even most of you guys seem to say) that i can take him now... but i guess its down to his current owners really?

Leave a comment:

• Graham Barnfield
    replied
    update: I have checked the results of the *dry run* this morning... and everything looks normal??? (hygrometer reads 54% temp reads 23C (thats 73 farenheit, JUST under the requried minimum... is this ok? I can make it hotter if needed of course i have underfloor heating)

And thank you for everything guys

Leave a comment:

• Creepella
    replied
    No need to worry too much about special cages, as long as you give your gecko places to hide, food/water, he will feel secure.

You'd laugh if you saw my collection. Sizes from new hatchlings up to full-grown breeder adults, and cages to match. I tend to err on the small side when it comes to cages. I'd rather they had easy access to food and climbing/hiding areas. They seem to do fine, and I'm sure your new gecko will, too. For cages, I use everything from small deli cups to KK's, to full sized glass cages by Exo Terra etc. I collect and reuse decor from cages for my other species (amphibians, inverts, other reptiles). Even small scraps of plastic plants make fine jungle gyms for tiny geckos. I save clear plastic containers and use them as cages. I keep plastic bottle and jar caps, and use them as food/water dishes. My double-sided gecko cage used to be a 50 gallon bowfront aquarium. I call it the MacGyver approach, but my crew all seem pretty happy.

Final note about KK's. They do tend to dry out fast. You just need to check the humidity every day. If dryness becomes a problem, you can cover part or all of the KK lid with plastic wrap.

Leave a comment:

• Ciocioy
    replied
    Yep ia true thw geckos will run under paper towel during day ....but they will find the way out when night is comming .....this is what my geckod did when she was younger and stayed in one enclosure like that just watch him if he found the way out ...if not try to add some little black stones for acvarium from pet shop in all 4 corners and 2 in middle to keep the paper towel

Leave a comment:

• InventorReptiles
    replied
    Overall it looks good! I do recommend flatting out the paper towels and/or just using one sheet as geckos will climb in/under paper towels which can be an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Graham Barnfield
    replied
    oh and i don't know if you can see it well (yes, i cut the climber... i had two anyway ... also because i though it would be nice, when he moves into his viv, to have different hieghts )

anyway, this is the *Front*

Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20150610_014606.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1067799

And this is the *back* (you can see the back of the hygrometer gauge...) i thought i would do a *dry run* to see if i could match the temp and humidity levels in something that small

Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20150610_014623.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1067800

Leave a comment:

• InventorReptiles
    replied
    That was my bad on the wording. I meant don't use the reptile branch/climber as those are generally expensive and not worth cutting for temporary housing. Than with the leafy vine you probably only need part of it, its hard to judge how much you'd need by the photo but 1/2 to 1/4 should be enough.

Leave a comment:

• Graham Barnfield
    replied
    thanks inventor... i just don't want to be seen as a *cop-out* or that i don't care (for me... before i saw the videos and read info and talked to you guys as well... i personally thought keeping them in such a small box for ANY time would be harmful... thank you for putting my mind at ease)

EDIT: do i put the WHOLE fake climber in? wouldn't that overwhelm him? should i cut it to size? ( mean the leafy thing)

Final Edit: ahhh... i think you mean with that *leafy thing* to just save it for later? or did you mean the reptile branch? thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X