Housing Xilas (almost time :D )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housing Xilas (almost time :D )

just wondering, i am a bit confused as to how to house my guy as soon as i get him home... i hear a lot of you guys say that for a few weeks (month at most) he will be fine with a KK? he will be roughly 8 weeks when i collect him... and i was just wondering is a KK size one of those *carry cases* that has vents on the plastic lid and is for taking something like a hamster/gerbil to the vet? (i don't have a web cam working, but its big enough for a rodent to run around in) the reason why i am confused is because the reptile house said when i get home to transfer him to the viv as soon as i do... other people have said that he needs to be in this small sized tub for a few weeks before thinking of introducing him to his viv...

What do i do? thanks
    If all you want from life is *Roses* and life gives you Roses... Then how are you going to smell anything else?

this is a great how too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idpztqZoJf8
    5.6.1 Crested geckos
    1.1.0 leos
    1.0.0 Gargoyle

Comment

When they are that small the reason people say to put them in a kk is because it is much easier for them to find their food dish. If you do put him in a large viv right away, just make sure you put multiple food dishes and then once you figure out where they eat from, place the food there. Also the KK and paper towel substrate is great for little guys so you can see their poop so you know that they have been eating.

Comment

ahh right oh... thank you
        If all you want from life is *Roses* and life gives you Roses... Then how are you going to smell anything else?

Comment

The reason for smaller housing is so they feel more secure and finding food is easy. Plus its easier to monitor if they are pooping etc. It doesn't really matter if you use a plastic shoe box or KK, both work fine. A plastic shoe box is cheaper but a KK is more transparent. Once a gecko is around the 10 to 15 gram mark they can usually be moved into an adult sized tank.

Comment

adult size? is a 30x30x45 cm (i don't know what the transistion to inches would be but apparently it is a *medium* sized viv) or is that too small for one crested?

Comment

i don't want you guys to hate me for this (this is only so i can bring him home early... but i can survive another week ) i was thinking about getting him this Thursday when i pay for him (i was going to pay the final ammount Thursday anyway), because i have a KK, a fake *climber* and a reptile branch i can trim down to fit the KK, i can also get his food and calcium at the same time (otherwise i wouldn't be thinking this!!!), and will put paper tissue down for him as well...

(as you know, i have read and heard that a KK will be ok for up to a month, im only planning on doing for a fortnight max)... I know it is down to me at the end of the day what i do, but i dont want to sound like a &%^$... Of course, if it is going to harm him in anyway then i will not do this

(he is currently 8 weeks old) Thank you for your advice in this matter, and please no *haters* as i say, i want the best for him, but i also want him to get used to being here as soon as possible, thank you again

Comment

In case you are worried, i got my web cam working (loose wires), this is the cage i am on about... Is it too small for an 8 week old for 2 weeks?

Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20150610_004517.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1067796

Name:	WIN_20150610_004530.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1067797

Name:	WIN_20150610_004614.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1067798

Comment

That looks fine to me. You probably don't need to use/cut the vine as just the plants is enough, especially if its for such a short amount of time. Save your $$$ and just use the whole vine in the adult tank later.

Comment

thanks inventor... i just don't want to be seen as a *cop-out* or that i don't care (for me... before i saw the videos and read info and talked to you guys as well... i personally thought keeping them in such a small box for ANY time would be harmful... thank you for putting my mind at ease)

EDIT: do i put the WHOLE fake climber in? wouldn't that overwhelm him? should i cut it to size? ( mean the leafy thing)

Final Edit: ahhh... i think you mean with that *leafy thing* to just save it for later? or did you mean the reptile branch? thanks

Comment

That was my bad on the wording. I meant don't use the reptile branch/climber as those are generally expensive and not worth cutting for temporary housing. Than with the leafy vine you probably only need part of it, its hard to judge how much you'd need by the photo but 1/2 to 1/4 should be enough.

Comment

oh and i don't know if you can see it well (yes, i cut the climber... i had two anyway ... also because i though it would be nice, when he moves into his viv, to have different hieghts )

anyway, this is the *Front*

Name:	WIN_20150610_014606.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1067799

And this is the *back* (you can see the back of the hygrometer gauge...) i thought i would do a *dry run* to see if i could match the temp and humidity levels in something that small

Name:	WIN_20150610_014623.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1067800

Comment

Overall it looks good! I do recommend flatting out the paper towels and/or just using one sheet as geckos will climb in/under paper towels which can be an issue.

Comment

Yep ia true thw geckos will run under paper towel during day ....but they will find the way out when night is comming .....this is what my geckod did when she was younger and stayed in one enclosure like that just watch him if he found the way out ...if not try to add some little black stones for acvarium from pet shop in all 4 corners and 2 in middle to keep the paper towel

Comment

No need to worry too much about special cages, as long as you give your gecko places to hide, food/water, he will feel secure.

You'd laugh if you saw my collection. Sizes from new hatchlings up to full-grown breeder adults, and cages to match. I tend to err on the small side when it comes to cages. I'd rather they had easy access to food and climbing/hiding areas. They seem to do fine, and I'm sure your new gecko will, too. For cages, I use everything from small deli cups to KK's, to full sized glass cages by Exo Terra etc. I collect and reuse decor from cages for my other species (amphibians, inverts, other reptiles). Even small scraps of plastic plants make fine jungle gyms for tiny geckos. I save clear plastic containers and use them as cages. I keep plastic bottle and jar caps, and use them as food/water dishes. My double-sided gecko cage used to be a 50 gallon bowfront aquarium. I call it the MacGyver approach, but my crew all seem pretty happy.

Final note about KK's. They do tend to dry out fast. You just need to check the humidity every day. If dryness becomes a problem, you can cover part or all of the KK lid with plastic wrap.

Comment

Working...
                              X