No announcement yet.

crested gecko food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so proud of her... She is an amazing hunter!

Comment

To answer your original question: Pangea Fruit Mix is not complete and needs bugs, but he needs to be eating the mix too. Crickets tend to be more fun than liquid food, but the food has critical nutrients that the crickets do not. There are multiple varieties of Pangea Fruit Mix Complete which does not require live food as a supplement. What kind of Pangea do you have?

Generally crickets/live food is only advised 1-2 days a week and ONLY if the gecko is eating its powdered diet. Some geckos will hold out for crickets if they know they're getting them in a day or two, and thus will only eat crickets and not get the balanced diet they need. That's usually how the horror stories about MBD and development issues begin. I personally do not feed any of my Cresteds live food, but many have bug days once or twice a week to promote faster growth.
      Crested Geckos: I lost count :| 60-some last time I checked | Gargoyles: 1.1 | Leachianus: 1.1.1
      Chahoua: 1.0 | Sarasinorum: 0.1 | Leopard Geckos: 0.2 | Robert Mertens' Day Gecko: 1.1
      Russian Dwarf Hamster: 0.1 | BUNNEHS: 0.2
      [-| iHerp |-]

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I did indeed order the Pangea Complete Diet. Sounds good.. thanks for letting me know about the necessity of the powdered diet.

Comment

Awesome! My kiddos live off of that exclusively (minus a few roaches if my girls are looking thin) and I've had very good luck with it. My 2g hatchlings take well to it and my 215g male Leachie inhales it in a disturbingly quick manner; it's gotten good reviews from all gecko sizes!
          The diet is complete and balanced, but a couple crickets now and then never hurt anyone
          Crested Geckos: I lost count :| 60-some last time I checked | Gargoyles: 1.1 | Leachianus: 1.1.1
          Chahoua: 1.0 | Sarasinorum: 0.1 | Leopard Geckos: 0.2 | Robert Mertens' Day Gecko: 1.1
          Russian Dwarf Hamster: 0.1 | BUNNEHS: 0.2
          [-| iHerp |-]

Comment

Another question! Which are the exact vitamin powders used with the crickets? I want to make sure I give her the right ones.

Comment

OK, looked around and I am just going to dust them with calcium

Comment

If you feed live more often than 2-3 once or twice a month then you need calcium with vitamin D3 added. My preferred brands are Repashy Calcium Plus and Sticky Tongue Farm Miner-All both of which includes a variety of nutrients that tend to be lacking in most captive diets.
                Specializing in Crested Geckos
                Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

So apparently I have to wait till monday until my pangea food arrives. In the meantime, how often should I feed the little guy crickets?

Comment

i would say what the reptile shop told me... 3 ever 2-3 days (thats if it has the CGD as well but as you don't (im no expert at all) but i would say 3-4 each day? (please someone say if im wrong, i'm just going by ratio here)
                    If all you want from life is *Roses* and life gives you Roses... Then how are you going to smell anything else?

Comment

I generally recommend as many as they will eat in 30 minutes once or twice a week. Sometimes they get used to bugs and will not eat the CGD. It's especially hard to see if little ones are eating the food. Some alternate feeding bugs and the CGD, but I've seen some wolf down some bugs followed by a hearty helping of CGD.
                      Specializing in Crested Geckos
                      Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                      Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                      Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Working...
                      X