Youngling food schedule confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youngling food schedule confusion

My youngling eats only CGD (nothing else, no bugs) How often should I be feeding my 7 month old? I've been changing/replacing his cgd everyday as recommended for young guns, but I noticed that my 7 month old will touch his food as soon as it gets dark and the food has been sitting for 20-24 hours based on the lick marks I'm seeing. I don't see any lick marks when his food has been sitting for less than 20 hours. I've been noticing this trend after I switched his food from Repashy to Pangea. He never finishes his food though, so I'm having to throw it out replacing it everyday.

How often do you change your younglings food? Should I change it every day or every two? is it bad for him to be eating Pangea CGD that has been sitting for 24+ hours? How long should I let his food sit for before replacing?

Also, I noticed that Repashy leaves a sour scent, changes color (darkens) and totally dries up after it's been sitting for much less than 24 hours while Pangea does not have any fouls odors, stays the same color, and stays the same consistency after 24+ hours. Anybody else notice this?

I've always fed my young ones same as my adult ones, new food every other day and re-wetting it the night in between. Some geckos like fresher food, some like it the second night better, sounds like your guy likes it better older.
    4.2.4.1.1 Crested Geckos: Lutta , Ghile , Namara , Nyne , Faol├ín 🌈 😇 , Kalyer , Butterworth Hatchlings: Rooster, Ducky, Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by 321Chuck View Post
      Also, I noticed that Repashy leaves a sour scent, changes color (darkens) and totally dries up after it's been sitting for much less than 24 hours while Pangea does not have any fouls odors, stays the same color, and stays the same consistency after 24+ hours. Anybody else notice this?
      Yup, totally noticed that myself, when we made the change from Repashy to Pangea for our critters. It's one of the reasons we stuck with the Pangea, since we only feed our group every other day. Honestly, I think at 7 months you're probably safe enough to start feeding him every other day, I don't think you need to be replacing his food every night-- especially since he seems to like his CGD aged! (A thought: possibly it's a consistency thing? Maybe yours likes the consistency a little thicker than you've been preparing it, which I bet it would be after drying out for a day. Just a thought, though!)

I wouldn't let it sit for more than a day though; after that you definitely want to discard any leftovers and give him some fresh food.
      3.3.3 Crested geckos (Dirge, Thrust, Cheetor. Hijack, Crita, Quakke. Rung, Blackout, Dragstrip)
      2.0 Domestic shorthair cats (Riffraff, Binx)
      0.1 Australian shepherd/chihuahua mix (Luna)

Comment

You can try putting left over in the fridge. Like if you make some and have a little extra then it could thicken.
        Currently have 4 fertile eggs and 2 adults.
        Picture is my male and female cuddling in a paper towel roll.

Comment

Working...
        X