Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking correction/advice for my crestie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking correction/advice for my crestie.

So, gunna try and be as informative as possible. 3g flame crestie, no idea of age due petco not getting hatch dates. Not too terrible jumpy, have had Indo for 1 month/9 day now. Has a diet of only cgd, was going to try throwing some crickets in a critter carrier to see how Indo reacts, and he/she is housed in a 12x12x18 for the moment. Have no actual "hides" in there as he seems to love his leafy vines. Only heat source is a 25w red mini halogen reflective dome light that I use at night because my air conditioner is generally on 62 when I sleep. Careful attention is paid to make sure it stays between 70 and 80. Mist two-three times a day. Has elevated water bowl/food bowl magnetic ledge touching his vines so he can crawl on to it when he can't stick well nearing shedding time. Only problem is, he seems to hide/not move when I'm around. Like will not leave his vines to eat or anything until I'm like dead asleep. Happened to wake up randomly and looked at him, immediately went back to his vines when I was seen to be alive. I hand walk him about two times a week and have never attempted just grabbing. Usually just foot touch til he's on my hand. Also won't really hand feed the cgd. Flees from my hand a bit when trying to gather him, but that part I understand; but hiding because I'm in the room?? Had a Leo and beardie that didn't give a faunk if I was there or not. Wandering time is wandering time. Just would like to see the guy hop around a little or at least move. Advice?

It's instinct that are driving the response. They sleep during the day, wake for night time and hide from any potential danger. Gotta figure we are huge in comparison! I have a girlie Garg that runs and hides whenever she sees me. She's a sweet mellow girl otherwise. Just shy...

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
    1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

Guessing maybe he will grow out of it somewhat, hopefully, as he gets a lil older? I know he's still just a wee thing right now. Just never had experience with their behavior until I got him.

Comment

Most of my crew have gotten bolder with time and patience. Some are absolute purists that watch everything I do! Their little personalities are a lot of fun to watch bloom!

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

Comment

Have you tried taking your little one out during the day and let him hang out on an indoor plant? This has mellowed my crew out quite a bit. Sometimes I forget and leave them there for hours only to find them fast asleep. I'm usually on hand in the kitchen cooking while they explore my Bay tree. The sun comes in through the window and settles on them. They love it!
          4.24.0 Crested Geckos
          0.2.0 Leopard Gecko

FB: Geckos by Design

Comment

Savannah, they havent left the plant and explored the rest of the house?

Comment

I've done this, too. Because the geckos naturally sleep during the day, they tend to stay put. They do like to smell new smells, walk on live plants, etc.
              3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Originally posted by smaugy View Post
                Savannah, they havent left the plant and explored the rest of the house?
                Nope! Not during early to mid afternoon and often in the mornings. They start becoming active at around 6pm. I just watch them to make sure I know where they are. The furtherest they've ventured is pot level. I do play dates like this too; Soliana and Porkchop are now roomies and transitioning them this way has made the change tolerable.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5743.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1067016Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1998.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1067017Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4553.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1067018
                4.24.0 Crested Geckos
                0.2.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

that's pretty cool savannah!

i sit and watch mine an hour or 2 each night most of the time. some are very curious and others are not at all, and are quick to hide. A couple of them launch at my shadow as i pass by their tank thinking it is a bug - one in particular does this ALL the time. she is very buggy i guess. i have another that seems to be doing more of this lately - she is usually pretty shy, but i moved my finger outside her tank and she launched at it. this was VERY unusual for her as she is a little hit or miss when i feed crickets and tends to be my most shy gecko...she was also attacking her paper towel substrate when i first came in to feed them.

sorry to say i don't really have much in the way of suggestions, just pointing out that each individual is just that...an individual. spending time around and in their sight is probably the best thing you can do even when not holding them. try using indirect lighting or low lighting to observe at night when you want to watch your gecko. bright light definitely deters movement.
                  3.4.13 crested geckos!!

Comment

Originally posted by savannah blue View Post
                    Have you tried taking your little one out during the day and let him hang out on an indoor plant? This has mellowed my crew out quite a bit. Sometimes I forget and leave them there for hours only to find them fast asleep. I'm usually on hand in the kitchen cooking while they explore my Bay tree. The sun comes in through the window and settles on them. They love it!
                    How large is the Bay tree Savannah? I might have to get one and give that a try.
                    5.4.9 Crested Gecko
                    1.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko
                    1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko

Visit My FB page - Candy Box Geckos. Please give it a "LIKE" and mention you stopped by and I will visit your page as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugwinkle View Post
                      How large is the Bay tree Savannah? I might have to get one and give that a try.
                      I bought it when it was maybe 6 inches and has been growing indoors over the last 2 years. It sits on a pedestal in front of a west facing window. It's now about 3 feet in height

Here is Marley on it this morning
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0190.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1067023
                      4.24.0 Crested Geckos
                      0.2.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

Regarding putting geckos on plants. Be sure the plant is in a fairly open area. Not by a jammed bookcase or cluttered area. That way if they do venture your more likely to find them

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

Comment

Working...
                        X