HNNNG! How do you guys do it?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HNNNG! How do you guys do it?!

How do you keep yourself from buying your dream gecko because you know that even if you have the space and the money, it's not the right time?! I eventually want to breed red geckos, like.. specifically red geckos. Red creamsicles, harlies, dalmations... etc. (but mainly the high cream contrast with the nice deep rich red) and... pangea has a male that is like............... omg perfect. Like he couldn't be more perfect!

http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/n...-0213-cn3.html

-cries tears of pain- I easily have the money the space and the time, but I have to sit here and groan in frustration because it's not the right time and I have to keep telling myself "You'll have more chances. There will be more red/cream geckos in the future, this isn't the ONLY gecko you're ever going to find." to keep myself from hitting that buy button LOL.

(not to mention currently staying with my dad while i finish college... can you imagine what he'd do if he found out I spend $700 on a lizard? LOL not a pleasant convo.)
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Originally posted by Mechanical8Dragon View Post
    How do you keep yourself from buying your dream gecko because you know that even if you have the space and the money, it's not the right time?! I eventually want to breed red geckos, like.. specifically red geckos. Red creamsicles, harlies, dalmations... etc. (but mainly the high cream contrast with the nice deep rich red) and... pangea has a male that is like............... omg perfect. Like he couldn't be more perfect!

http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/n...-0213-cn3.html

-cries tears of pain- I easily have the money the space and the time, but I have to sit here and groan in frustration because it's not the right time and I have to keep telling myself "You'll have more chances. There will be more red/cream geckos in the future, this isn't the ONLY gecko you're ever going to find." to keep myself from hitting that buy button LOL.

(not to mention currently staying with my dad while i finish college... can you imagine what he'd do if he found out I spend $700 on a lizard? LOL not a pleasant convo.)
    Do it? You're kidding, right? I usually find a way to justify it to myself and get the gecko. That's where the user name came from....

Let's see, you can justify it by telling yourself that they live for about 20 years, and when you need that gecko's bloodlines, you won't have to search, he'll be right here. Or you can tell yourself that he/she was meant to be yours, and how much you'll love looking at it. I have lots of excuses, just PM me if you need more.

On the other hand, your education is something that's much too valuable to jeopardize with an impulse purchase, and I agree, $700 is a lot of money. Matt has nice geckos and he'll probably get the asking price, but that's still a lot to spend. You can try to breed your own. I bred my crowned creamy blonde male to a red bicolor and got a creamy bright red male who is very nice. (No, he's not for sale.) It can be done.

You've got to realize that you're posting on a forum loaded with gecko enablers. I'm one of them. But your education needs to come first, and then there's the dad factor. He probably wants to see you graduate and start out in a good career. This may not be the time, and there will be more gorgeous reds in the future.

That being said, I need you to talk me out of a gecko on someone's web site, too.
    Boston Terrier 1.0, Stetson R.I.P. 8/15/2015.
    Rough Collie (rescued) 1.0, Teddy
    Crested Geckos 9.11.12
    Pine Isle Chahoua 1.0.1 Hunter, Cami
    Leopard Geckos 1.2 Confetti, Snowdrop, & Beauty
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Jayden

Comment

LOL yes.. lots of people to tell me to just go for it! XD

I actually have been contemplating of breeding my own high creams just because I feel it would just be more... accomplishing (?) I guess you could say. heh.

But yeah... especially because this year that I'm waiting for residency I may have to start paying my loans until I start up again next fall, so I have to tell myself "That's going to be pretty much 200-300$ a month which is pretty much what I make in a single 2week paycheck." which means even though I've saved up some money if the few months I've recently started working here in WA it's like... should I really be throwing down that much money when... in reality I won't even be able to start breeding until i'm at LEAST done with school and AT LEAST in my own place? which could be 3ish some years down the road. Obviously I'd have no problem just having him as a pet for right now, but I have 3 geckos and a cat already. It's one of those "I so totally could, easily... but should I?" moments.

And i know my dad would rather see me save up money to help pay my loan back... not to mention i'm going to be getting my own internet soon (cus his is crap... and he blocks a lot of ports so I can barely do anything because he's super paranoid about hackers -_-; but i don't want to make him feel he has to change HIS internet that HE pays for... for me because I want to livestream artwork and play online games like a nerd LOL)

lol but yess, those are all good excuses xD
      Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
      Sovereign Reptiles

Comment

O my I liked that's one also. Would go great with the lady I have but man the money. I look every day for a new gecko but it's hard not to get 1.
        Crested geckos 4:5:15
        Chewie. 0:1:1

http://www.facebook.com/cjgeckos

Comment

Ya I have about zero will power. Though I AM selling some... so that means I can get more, right? And the fact that I'm selling fancy stuff means that I can get more FANCY stuff, correct? Lol
          Mary Frizzell
          Check out my Facebook page at "Good Luck Geckos"

Comment

Honestly, seems a bit high for that gecko. He’s nice, but not $700 nice, maybe $4-500 nice. IMO. Remember Whiskey from the Harlequin Hoard, worst $500 I didn’t spend.

I try to memorize all the prices of “morphs” of geckos I’m interested in and mentally average them in my head.

I’m interested in geckos just like him too but I know I’ve seen similar ones for sale from the $300-500ish range, so that’s what would stay my hand.

Maybe try writing down all the ones you see and average the prices together on a piece of paper. Then, you just need to be patient.
            Fired Up Geckos

I'm making a lot of wildlife and reptile art here!

Comment

Yeah on average I see reds sitting between 300-500. The 700$ price tag does kind of make me do one of those "that's a lot whistle" and other than that high cream idk what would bring that price up that much.
              Sovereign Reptiles

Comment

The gecko is listed as out of stock, so now you can take a deep breath and concentrate on your studies.

Unless--You did resist the temptation, right?
                Crested Geckos 9.11.12

Comment

LOL!!!!

I did resist. Yes. Hahaha
                  (But someone else didn't lol)
                  Sovereign Reptiles

Comment

Congratulations on your superior willpower!

Hopefully whoever is getting him will use him as a breeder. He's too nice to be just a pet. And who knows--you might end up with one of his grandgecks in the future!
                    Crested Geckos 9.11.12

Comment

I go through the same thing every time I see a gecko I really want, I feel for you

Comment

Grandgecko children. Yes plz! Haha
                        Sovereign Reptiles

Comment

Paying the better half of a grand for a gecko is some people's thing, but that kind of money makes me break out in hives! Some big name breeders will spend that kind of money because it makes sense for them business-wise, but I have seen some incredible geckos sold for half this :/ It just really depends...
                          Come say hi on the Shaky Tail Exotics FB fan page and don't miss out on our fun Instagram account!
                          Instagram
                          iHerp Account
                          Pintrest

Comment

I agree i bought 2 for that price an are from a great breeder.
                            Crested geckos 4:5:15
                            Chewie. 0:1:1

http://www.facebook.com/cjgeckos

Comment

Working...
                            X