Mold Growth in Terrarium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold Growth in Terrarium

Basically there is green and white mold that grows on everything made of wood in my terrarium. I've tried almost everything to get rid of it. It appears within four days of completely cleaning everything in the terrarium. I have also tried keeping the humidity lower for longer periods of time and using sandpaper to get the mold of but nothing is working. I don't want to get rid of the wooden stuff I have cause my crested gecko loves the logs and they look nice. What should I do?
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko

Idk really how to help stop it but I just went threw the same thing and had to throw everything away cause it kept coming back.

Comment

Are you speaking of branches in the cage, or is the cage got wood trim or something? If it's branches in the cage, not all types of branches marketed for reptiles work in a humid environment. Grapewood doesn't work and will mold, but mogopani (sp?) and cork are OK for crested geckos. There are a few other types that work as well.
      Come say hi on the Shaky Tail Exotics FB fan page and don't miss out on our fun Instagram account!
      Instagram
      iHerp Account
      Pintrest

Comment

it's pretty normal for wood to grow mold in gecko tanks, you want to either treat the wood, or purchase isopods to keep it clean for you.

What worked for me was taking the wood out and soaking it in boiling water, others bake it but that makes me uncomfortable. Let the wood dry out for a day or so, and then put it back in. I haven't had any mold growth on my wood since doing that.
        Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
        Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
        1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Comment

Well there is a grapefruit log and a wooden hide.
          1.0.0 Crested Gecko

Comment

Yeah, I had to remove a grapevine piece because it not only molded, but smelled bad too. I put it in the Leos tank and all is well. The wooden tunnel ones aren't great for the moist environments either. Mopani, cork and bamboo have been the best for me so far. I use extremely hot water and vinegar to soak and clean these items and dry out to stop any molding.

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
            1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

All try boiling the wooden stuff and letting them air dry.
              1.0.0 Crested Gecko

Comment

It doesn't really matter how "clean" the wood is. If the spores are present in the soil, air or water, it's going to regrow if the wood is not the right type. I've had endless issues with the cheaper sand-blasted grapevine and "ghost wood", even in a non-naturalistic setting. Those type of woods are not for a moist environment, they are desert reptile decor. I've had great luck with mopani, corkbark and manzanita branches. Some other hardwoods are good as well. Try poking around dart from forums and see what they recommend. If it stands up to the humidity there, it should work for cresties, chewies & rhacs.
                Specializing in Crested Geckos
                Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

That sucks. I really like the setup I have now.
                  1.0.0 Crested Gecko

Comment

I had one pieces of wood that would mold up on me. I baked it dry each time I washed it. No mold issues since then.

280 degrees F for 40 mins,
                    Fired Up Geckos

I'm making a lot of wildlife and reptile art here!

Comment

So is cork the only thing that won't mold in a Crestie's terrarium? I have some bamboo that I had been letting dry out for over a year in our home. We cut it in half (length ways) for extra drying and yet we are noticing after like 6 months of having it in the terrarium (the humidity usually stays around 80) that it is molding. Green and white mold to be exact. If I clean this wood and treat it, what should I treat/seal it with that won't hurt my gecko (Sheila)?

Comment

I personally just let wood naturally decompose in the enclosure. If you have a good bio-active setup, and don't have a large amount of mold or psychedelic colors of mold, I don't think you'll have a problem. I've never used sealed wood so I can't give any advice on that.
                        Specializing in Crested Geckos
                        Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                        Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                        Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Is there any need to call mold remediation company for the removal of mold from the wood or it can be removed easily by DIY steps?

Comment

So I've had the extact same problem! BUT WAIT DONT THROW AWAY YOUR DECOR JUST BECAUSE OF MOLD! I've had my babies for less than a year so I was new to all this too I bought my geckos branches, and a wooden hide from the pet stores in the reptile section so I assumed they wouldnt have that problem and I also had wooden logs and branches I got from outside hiking. Let me tell you the ones I bought from the store were the main ones to grow the most mold on them! It was like it started growing as soon as I put anything wooden in there and my temps were fine everything I was doing was fine and I just didnt know why the mold was growing so quick. I decided to put my branches and logs in the oven. I was very worried of doing this at first with the "what if" thoughts of the wood catching fire. So my thing was to make sure I cleaned the geckos cages COMPLETELY OUT [EVERY 2 WEEKS] so each time I'd take out all the wood and wash all the mold, dirt and poop off I would do this in ONLY very hot water with a rag, rinse it off and I would take everything out the oven and just lay a piece of aluminum foil over the rack and place ALL my wood pieces in the oven between 200-250 degrees and let them bake for 30mins to 1hr then let them cool a bit and set their tanks back up. In the beginning months I noticed the mold kept coming back within days of me doing this but because I literally did this every 2 weeks over time they started to grow less and less mold now they dont even really get any mold. There is some here and there at times but it's not a lot or no where near as much as it use to grow. I've notice when I get new wooden items they tend to start molding but as i continued to bake my logs they get better in time. It may seem inconvenient to clean their tanks every 2 weeks and everyone doesnt have the same set up or necessarily may have the funds to go buy new eco earth/reptibark or whatever they use to set their tanks up with so it's all up to how you find your way of going about it but I can tell my cresties love to explore a new set up everytime i change it up on them. Good luck with ur mold problem I hope this can be helpful to you or anyone else.

Comment

If you're just starting a setup, remember that grapewood or grapevine will almost always mold. I don't use it anymore. I use cork, jungle wood, or mopani, manzanita is also good if you can find the right size. I also use T-Rex Aqua Vines and Aqua Roots - they are made for aquariums, so can withstand the humidity. I am also using some box elder branches from some trees in our backyard. I baked those one time, and they have worked out extremely well.
                              Eileen
                              TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
                              Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Working...
                              X