Biting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biting!

So yesterday I ha Francis out like usual and over the course of about 5 minutes he bit me like 3 times for no reason. At first I thought it was because I had just eaten ice cream (for some reason he gets kind of crazy over ice cream and a couple of other non gecko foods *sigh*) so I washed my hands thoroughly and he still went for me!

He's never bitten me before this. Could he just have been in a bad mood or could it be because I handled the baby gecko. It's really not like him! He even bit me and squealed at me at one point! It's so odd as he's usually so calm and nice. I'll take him out again tonight to see if he's still being mean I hope he was just in a bad mood.

Could be growing hormones, food aggressive or the scent of the new kid. Be sure to wash well between handling. Don't overlook the quarantine process and safety ever. And sometimes they are just little buggers!

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
    1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

I wash my hands every time but he's still so moody! I went to put his food in about 2 minutes ago and he threw a real tantrum! No squeaking but lots of jumping and head shaking. I hope he grows out of this I miss my friendly little bug! He's still great to handle but he seems really agitated and angry! Maybe it is growing he has his a growth spurt finally!

Comment

Hi! I just joined here and I am a new crested gecko owner (LOVE them! I'm hooked )...but this thread kinda made me laugh because it reminded me of a video posted on a facebook page (by some crestie breeders). In the video this girl is holding a male crested gecko. He makes this funny little chirping sound and starts biting her fingers like crazy, lol. Turns out he was wanting to mate with her hand! lol! So my guess after watching that is, maybe he just wants a female and is frustrated and confused? I'm thinking hormones too like JumpinJewels mentioned, lol. Here is the video, hopefully this link works! It's the only video in their video album! Is this how yours is acting? https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1126992&type=2

Also...does the biting hurt much? I'd like to know in case my boy starts acting up, lol. He's about a year old and 3 inches nose to vent.

Comment

You got a new gecko Armin, right? Maybe Francis is jealous and thought he was your only gecko.
          Follower of Jesus

Comment

They can go through phases. Usually they grow out of it. I have several who won't hesitate to nip if I try to catch them when they jump out of their tubs. Adults are usually a lot better but even then I have some that I think twice about grabbing if I don't have to.
            Specializing in Crested Geckos
            Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
            Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
            Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Does it hurt when these little guys bite? lol I have been bitten by a handful of lizards in the past but not a crestie...yet, lol.

Comment

P.S. I apologize for "lol"ing so much in this thread..I just find such a cute, and small creature biting as kind of funny XD....

Comment

Baby bites are nothing. When they get to 10 grams, it's a bit of a pinch but not too painful. Adults can vary a lot in bite pressure, some of mine have drawn blood but most do not bite at all. I have a couple of feisty gecko lines, apparently.
                  Specializing in Crested Geckos
                  Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                  Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                  Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Ye it doesn't hurt at all even when my garg bit me it didn't hurt and she has a nice set of chompers that drew blood. Has anyone else noticed when they do draw blood it tends to bleed for ages?

Comment

Working...
                    X