Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

There is something wrong with my crestie. I fed him about 3-4 crickets and then cleaned his terrarium around 6 today and ever since he has been really fired up. He's not moving much or breathing and I'm worried.. Any ideas what I could do to help him??

What do you mean by not breathing or moving much?

If he's fired up after crickets, he's probably just thinking about how yummy they were.
    Boston Terrier 1.0, Stetson R.I.P. 8/15/2015.
    Rough Collie (rescued) 1.0, Teddy
    Crested Geckos 9.11.12
    Pine Isle Chahoua 1.0.1 Hunter, Cami
    Leopard Geckos 1.2 Confetti, Snowdrop, & Beauty
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Jayden

Comment

His breathing is slow.. he'll take 2 breaths and then won't for a minute or two. Normally he breaths a lot faster. it's 11:30 now..that was hours ago. He's normally more active so it's weird.

Comment

Some geckos are fired up a lot without a particular reason.
        If you are feeding crickets in the enclosure they could be stressing the gecko out which can cause a fired state.
        Stress will usually also show a more rapid breath.
        Do you feed a complete crested gecko diet to the gecko along with bugs or just bugs? Insects do not provide proper nutrients on their own for these geckos.
        How long have you had this gecko and what is the setup?
        What does the fecal waste look like? Formed or loose...
        Pictures would be helpful with more information on your husbandry practices.

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
        1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

He may be just feeling like, "Ugh, I ate too much!" It doesn't sound like anything is seriously wrong.
          3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

The slower breathing means he's more calm - the rapid, chest-heaving you see during handling actually indicates stress. Geckos and other reptiles don't have the same breathing requirements. You can see their throats bob sometimes to indicate they are recycling the air they take in ever minute or two. If he was struggling for breath or wasn't getting oxygen, he'd probably already be dead. He's probably just relishing his live food and relaxing. Possibly very full.
            Specializing in Crested Geckos
            Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
            Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
            Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Working...
            X