No announcement yet.

Recommendations on Crested Gecko Egg Laying Substrate and Incubation Substrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on Crested Gecko Egg Laying Substrate and Incubation Substrate

Hey guys, I was wondering what you substrate you breeders are using for egg laying substrate in a lay box and an incubation substrate when the eggs hatch out. I'm planning to go for eco earth as the egg laying substrate, but any ideas and opinions are welcomed

Eco earth in the lay box can stain the eggs. I use a mix I make up of organic peat moss and chopped sphagnum moss. it keeps moist well and fluffy. I use Superhatch for my incubating material which is a clay medium you only have to moisten one time. You can find a similar product for ponds. It's really nice not having to worry about the humidity changing or eggs drying out. I am having a very good season thus far

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
    1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

Do you think these products from amazon mixed together will provide a perfect lay box?:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037AP20I/...I3CE242HWD1MS3
      http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019J2MA2/...I3LOKCK2GK85MZ

Comment

Both of those look safe to use, yes. When you get the moss you will want to cut it up so it is fluffy when mixed with the peat miss. Be sure and wet the moss prior to cutting so you don't inhale the dust and spores. Use some good scissors. I use 50/50 and put about four inches in the lay box for the gecko to lay her eggs in. They like to dig and bury the eggs all the way down. Keep the lay box moist and welcoming and your set. I stir the lay boxes weekly to check humidity and add water if needed. Good luck! You can find these items at most grocery and garden depts too.

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
        1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

Working...
        X