Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion on lineage and what is expected with it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion on lineage and what is expected with it...

Hello, I have been reading a lot about how important it is to know the geckos lineage.
    What is expected to be known exactly? The parents, grand parents, farther back?
    Or, is it to know the breeder and their reputation in the hobby?
    For instance: If you know a gecko is from Breeder "A" and they have pictures of the parents, how
    do you know that the parents were from a good breeder or another pet store animal?
    How much information is necessary to qualify your geckos for a higher monetary value? Other then obvious structure, morph etc.
    How many generations do you think are needed?
    Thanks in advance, I hope to hear lots of input here!
    (I am not knocking geckos from pet stores, there are some beauties. This is in regards to breeding)

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
    1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

For me, I would want lineage as far back as possible to make sure I'm not inbreeding. Otherwise, I would only pay a higher amount for a direct offspring or a grandkid of a gecko I feel is very worthwhile. I care more about the animals than the breeder, once the animal is out of the original breeder's ownership, so the only reputation I would care about is who is selling the animal directly to me. I wouldn't pay more for a gecko from a famous breeder, unless I'm buying directly from that breeder. The quality of the animal is what matters if I'm buying "second hand" (not to disparage doing so, breeding plans change). So to get the same price as the original breeder would, the breeder selling an animal would have to have a really stellar animal (bought as a baby and turned out better than expected) or have improved upon the line by their own pairings. A breedable female or a cornerstone male would be higher, but that's really based on their own merits and not lineage.

As an example, the Castellano X Crescenza (formerly Pins X Uno) pair owned by JB was a fairly sought after pairing a few years ago before she put them with other partners. I have a direct daughter and a grandson and feel that it's a great lineage. I feel that once you get beyond the grandparent stage, it's good to say from the pairing's line, but by that time the geckos are pretty far away from the original pairing that produced such good, reliable results. At that point, as a breeder you should be emphasizing what you've done to improve upon the line as your own.
    I prefer to use "line" in reference to a known pairing or a single stellar parent. If the direct lines aren't known, then say from which breeder's "stock" you have. Many times it is unknown, but more and more geckos are getting famous! People are keeping & sharing better records. Most breeders involved in forums, facebook or other social media groups will let you know who is in the lineage of the geckos they are selling. More old school breeders who only sell at shows might not have all the info.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Thanks for your input Spyral. It feels like the reference to lineage is tossed around so casually these days.
      A lot of times I am seeing "produced by" as opposed to "from the lines of..." I think it is misleading in a sense.
      It doesn't qualify the animals involved, yet some jump on those particular animals based on that info alone.
      I have a lot of respect for the breeders that keep the lines clean and clear for the future of species. Unfortunately,
      not all breeders uphold those standards and do aggressive inbreeding. I will see some of these breeders selling
      a gecko at a high high price stating that one of the parents is "so and so" and produced by" and the other parent is unknown...
      Does that suggest it's a pet store gecko or a rescue? Perhaps the second or third owner for whatever reason.
      These are the issues that press me to learn more...

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
      1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

Working...
      X