No announcement yet.

Whats the Scoop on this Kind of Poop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL! Thanks! We do worry so much that sometimes we end up not enjoying our time with our pets. Similar to parenting... The first child makes more peremptory visits to the pediatrician and the third child is told 'you'll live'. I do think the cresteds seem to pull more concern too for they are so small n fragile looking. Plus they are so sensitive to their environment. Which increases our awareness of their needs.

I figure it will be at least another 6 wks before we establish a routine n comfort level as he will be moved again in three weeks when his live viv has begun its cycle. Like Yoda said 'Patience young Skywalker, patience!'

Comment

TaDa! Another present! So one last night and one this afternoon! This one looks even better so I feel very relieved...as I am sure Petrie does too! (no pun intended).

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1066795

Thank you all for your encouragement and humor!

Comment

That first 'good' poop brings back fond memories. At last, proof positive we are good parents! Congratulations on a job well done-meaning finding the treasure and photographing in high definition. I wonder if a photo thread on gecko excretions, both solid and liquid would help allay some anxiety for new keepers? At the very least it would be loads of fun to see!
        4.24.0 Crested Geckos
        0.2.0 Leopard Gecko

FB: Geckos by Design

Comment

Congrats on finding poop! If that was fresh poop, it looks a bit hard. You might want to check on humidity or provide a water bowl if you aren't already. Fresh poop should be firm but much more moist. Gross talking about it, but poop is an indicator of health and hydration. Hard poops can indicate a diet change, especially if feeding bugs, or dehydration. Nothing to worry about as long as there is access to water, as they will drink and soak as they see fit. Good luck with your gecko!
          Specializing in Crested Geckos
          Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
          Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
          Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

That may not be a bad idea actually! To have pix of healthy to questionable poops! It would definitely help folks know what to look for.

Comment

Not too fresh....but it was within the afternoon. He did poop again last night, on my leg, and that one had some moisture to it. It was funny too...he was crawling down my leg and stopped suddenly when he noticed my foot at the end with the red toe polish. Not sure what went through his mind, but he froze for a moment. Then he slowly lifted one leg, then the other, and then his little butt and plop...out it came right on my leg. Feeling satisfied with himself he then scooted his butt down my leg marking it the way my dogs, much to my disgust and irritation, like to scoot on the carpet sometimes. I took no offense in his actions and was glad to see the poop. If marking my leg made him 'own' me then that was alright with me. Nothing a little paper towel couldn't wipe away.

Just curious...do other reptiles 'mark' this way? My beardie Rocky has never done that. He usually poops and tries to run as far away to the other side of the tank as he can! I don't blame him either because the smell is pretty pungent and overwhelming, I'd run away from it too! From what I understand it is a survival instinct for poop draws predators so it is better to drop and run.

Comment

A lot of reptiles will poop in response to being handled. Or at least try to - that's where I think the musking thing comes from. Sometimes all they've got is some pee/urates. I have a number of geckos who do this. I have chewie that does seem to mark her territory with her vent, no visible poop, and I've read that leachies do this also. I think it's mostly defensive, from excitement or our body heat during handling that makes them go. Otherwise they do seem to like to poop on their glass - maybe it's a form of marking.
                Specializing in Crested Geckos
                Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Working...
                X