Mopani wood smells awful even after sanitizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mopani wood smells awful even after sanitizing

Just curious as to whether its supposed to smell like old fast food and sweaty arm pit even after baking it in the oven around 200F for a few hours? I expected the smell to dissapate after a little bit but it still kinda reeks. The gecko sleeps on it all day long, so it seems that it doesn't bother her or else I'd think she'd stay far away from it but I am tempted to just remove it and try boiling/baking it or something to see if that helps.
    Come say hi on the Shaky Tail Exotics FB fan page and don't miss out on our fun Instagram account!
    Instagram
    iHerp Account
    Pintrest

This is the first time hearing about this. I really haven't had problems with my piece of wood . I just usually wash with hot water and dish soap. I've never have had a smell or anything.
    Crested geckos 4:5:15
    Chewie. 0:1:1

http://www.facebook.com/cjgeckos

Comment

Huh. This swampy smell is a classic for freshwater aquarists. Even after boiling and/or baking, when the wood is fully submerged, the swampy smell lasts a few months. It's not harmful, but you can pretty much expect the wood to still give off a swampy smell every time it gets moist.

If you don't like this smell, sell the wood to a freshwater aquarium enthusiast.
      3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Thanks; I was a little worried that the smell hadn't dissipated terribly much after a few weeks, but if that's not unusual then I won't worry about it. I actually do have some freshwater tanks myself and have some chunks of wood in them that never gave off that smell but where the same type of wood.

I don't care about the smell personally, just wondered if maybe I sanitized it wrong or something so good to know!
        Come say hi on the Shaky Tail Exotics FB fan page and don't miss out on our fun Instagram account!
        Instagram
        iHerp Account
        Pintrest

Comment

I clean my woods and cork with extremely hot water and vinegar. You might try the vinegar out. It doesn't leave a residue. Of course soak and rise well and let dry. It does have a scent when misting, but not offensive at all...

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
          1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

Working...
          X