Help Identifying if Male or Female? Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identifying if Male or Female? Thanks

Hi I've had her/him for about 9 months now, I'd say it he/she is around 9-10 months old. I've tried to find out myself if it is a male or female, I assumed female but am not fully convinced. Attached pictures, any help would be great, thanks
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	1093151Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1093152

Can you give us a weight? The pictures are hard to tell, because we need pore shots. I personally can't call it based on the bulge, because females do have fat pads there, and they can look pretty big. The pictures are too small to be able to see any pores, as well
    8.7.6.10 Crested Geckos
    1.0.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0.1 Axolotls
    3.0.0 African Dwarf Frogs
    1.0.0 Betta
    Thumb Hugger Geckos

Comment

The photo doesn't show the area clear enough to look at the potential pores. What does concern me is the black spur on the gecko. Is that an injury?

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
      1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

Originally posted by JumpinJewels View Post
        The photo doesn't show the area clear enough to look at the potential pores. What does concern me is the black spur on the gecko. Is that an injury?
        I think that might just be a dal spot, haha! One of my males has then same little spot too.
        Beantown Geckos

Comment

Concerning the sex of the gecko, like everyone else has been saying, it would be better to have a shot of the pores up close.
          Beantown Geckos

Comment

I'm no expert but I'm guessing male because of the bulge. Topaz is about 8 months and her vent area is completely flat.
            0.1.1 Crested geckos (Topaz & Gemini)
            2.0.0 Dogs (Dylan & Devon)
            8.0.0 Fish (Brady, Brayden, Casey, Cody, Landon, Luke, Skye & 1 nameless)
            2 Mystery snails

Comment

Originally posted by crestie_mommy View Post
              I'm no expert but I'm guessing male because of the bulge. Topaz is about 8 months and her vent area is completely flat.
              Many a female has been called male because of the fatty pad they can have. My Peach included. Yah, I have four eggs and two hatchlings currently from the Male crested gecko I once purchase She has a very fluffy bottom! Unless the gecko is 20 grams or larger, no way to gaurantee.

Don't be shy about getting in and up close to take the pictures, zoom in the best you can. Gotta be a gecko perv to get the good pics

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
              1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

So if topaz was a boy how long could it take for the bulge to drop? She's 10g and about 8 months. Honestly though I'm pretty sure she is definitely a girl. Just my gut telling me that. I hope so.
                0.1.1 Crested geckos (Topaz & Gemini)
                2.0.0 Dogs (Dylan & Devon)
                8.0.0 Fish (Brady, Brayden, Casey, Cody, Landon, Luke, Skye & 1 nameless)
                2 Mystery snails

Comment

I've heard that up to 20 grams, they can still 'look female.' I would think, maybe, that you might see some pores at least when getting closer to 20. One of mine, at a little over 6 grams, has very visible pores and bulge (he's a very manly little guy, I guess.)
                  Come say hi on the Shaky Tail Exotics FB fan page and don't miss out on our fun Instagram account!
                  Instagram
                  iHerp Account
                  Pintrest

Comment

Yes your guy is most definitely manly if you can tell at 6 grams! I still can't figure out if Lizzie is a male or female. One day I think male, the next I think female. If Lizzie is indeed a male, sadly I think he should have been a girl. He certainly isn't well endowed.
                    5.4.9 Crested Gecko
                    1.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko
                    1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko

Visit My FB page - Candy Box Geckos. Please give it a "LIKE" and mention you stopped by and I will visit your page as well.

Comment

Haha, yeah I can see pores really easily already on him; future Big Ol' Gecko Balls FB group pinup model? Well, at least I know where I stand with the gender thing already. I have 3 others who I'm keeping an eye on, as they are too tiny to tell yet.
                      Come say hi on the Shaky Tail Exotics FB fan page and don't miss out on our fun Instagram account!
                      Instagram
                      iHerp Account
                      Pintrest

Comment

Working...
                      X