ID:	1091593Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140516_183536_547.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1091594Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140516_183547_744.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1091595Hello all! I have 9 crested geckos, but I am very concerned about my male crested gecko named Stitch.

Background information:

Stitch has some rather severe calcium deficiency (despite being offered a well rounded diet of repashy and dusted crickets) causing his rib cage to resemble the curvature of an S. His tail is a series of S's and he has NO calcium sac on the left side, only the right. I don't know if this was caused by the deficiency, or if it is causing the deficiency, as I purchased him when he was a juvenile and am unsure of which came first. Other than his extreme aggression, he acts like a normal gecko. He has no issues moving or eating, and he has a VERY strong jaw despite his calcium issues. He is currently being given extra calcium through an oral syringe to help his bones develop better. When I attempted to breed him, he bit the sh*t out of the girls and doesn't even aim for their crests (he's an f-ing maniac). They refuse to mate with him, which is understandable considering his psychotic approach. As a juvenile, he would nip at me when annoyed and would shake his head while "grumbling"/"squeaking", but he wasn't a complete nut about it.

Aggression issues (began 3 months ago):

Currently, Stitch is just over a year old and weighs 31.5 grams. I've owned him for 7 months. The entire time I've been writing this, he has been lock jawed on my finger. He hunches, gapes, lunges, attacks, etc. He is EXTREMELY aggressive and attacks me every single time I open the cage. He is completely psychotic, biting me and refusing to let go for as long as 15 minutes. He lunges at my hand as soon as he sees it, mouth as wide as he can get it. He'll bite anything that moves. He does that little pulsating bite thing (almost like chewing), and sometimes shakes his head as he bites. And while I'm aware that most geckos bites don't hurt, his bites hurt (due to pressure/tension in jaw) and he gets skin and blood as well. What's wrong with him? Is he in pain due to the calcium deficiency? Does he have blue balls from the female's rejection? Or is he just a big jerk? Hey, he finally let go of my finger, wonder which finger he's going to bite next. What a shocker, he is now biting the same finger again.
    Attached Files

It may just be due to spring. I have a male who will lunge for me every time I open his cage right now. He grabs on and will not let go, then tries to mate with my hand. He's usually the sweetest guy, but not for the past while.

By what I read, (I may have read it wrong) it sounds like you're trying to breed him, even though he has a bad calcium deficiency? It may very well be a problem that can be passed on, so I really wouldn't recommend breeding him!
    4.2.4.1.1 Crested Geckos: Lutta , Ghile , Namara , Nyne , Faol├ín 🌈 😇 , Kalyer , Butterworth Hatchlings: Rooster, Ducky, Sparrow

Comment

I had attempted to breed him previous to my realization of how severe his deficiency was. I am no longer trying to breed him, I am just concerned that it may have been the cause of his aggression. I hope it is only a seasonal phase, thank you for your input.

Comment

Well it looks like he has MBD. Could his aggression be due to the mdb hurting? I wonder if he is in pain.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkeye714 View Post
          Well it looks like he has MBD. Could his aggression be due to the mdb hurting? I wonder if he is in pain.
          I too wonder if that's the cause. his back has gotten straighter since using the calcium supplements, so that's a plus, and as i said, other than his aggression and oddly shaped rib cage and tail, he acts like a perfectly normal gecko.

Comment

Is he vocalizing at all? If this is what he's doing, he's just a horny little guy! Probably brought on by spring. A lot of males change behavior during breeding season, and being around girls just makes it worse.
            8.7.6.10 Crested Geckos
            1.0.0 Gargoyle Gecko
            1.0.1 Axolotls
            3.0.0 African Dwarf Frogs
            1.0.0 Betta
            Thumb Hugger Geckos

Comment

Sounds like he's just into kinky stuff.
              ------------------------------------
              What? You expected a list?

Comment

sounds to me he is just confused and is trying to mate with your hand.

If he was trying to bite you I doubt he would hold on for 15 mins, but he would try and hold a female for that length of time.

Some geckos get confused with water drops and will try and eat them thinking they are food, sounds a silimar thing going on here, a natural behaviour that has has now gone into overdrive.

Comment

I have geckos be very aggressive in reaction to me grabbing them and scaring them. He's probably more high strung since it's mating season but I would imagine he's probably in pain or, hate to say it, a jerk. I've found most of my males who were bitey calm down after a while, but I have some females who don't hesitate to bite and draw blood and chomp down like you describe. You could try to arrange his tank so he doesn't see outside stimuli and give him a lot of hiding spaces. Make it easier on yourself to feed and water him on a daily basis without disturbing him. That might help.

Glad that the calcium is helping. What did you dust your bugs with before you noticed a problem? The lop-sided calcium sac is weird, never seen that before. Sounds like he could have a congenital issue. Good thing you've decided against breeding him.
                  Specializing in Crested Geckos
                  Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                  Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                  Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

my adult male has also been getting really really aggressive this last month or so... I was worried that maybe he's stressed because I have 4 other tanks in the same room and i was worried he could smell/see them. He's about 3 or 4 yrs old, but I've only had him since end of Dec. And his bites DO hurt... it's making me really jumpy when i try to reach in to handle him , which , in turn, makes him even more aggressive. Any ideas on how to calm him down?

Comment

I would just house him singly (real word?), feed him, and give him a good life without bothering him.

^$0.02

Sent from my Verizon DROID MAXX using Tapatalk

Comment

I see some flaws in this. This gecko should not be bred. Any sort of deformity makes a gecko a pet only like MBD. A gecko with a messed up rib cage, severely kinked tail, missing calcium sac, and extremely aggressive should never of been even attempted to be bred. Bad aggression is a reason alone not to breed. This gecko sounds like it needs a vet visit, with proper nutrition and care this kind of deformity should not occur and makes me wonder if he has parasites or some other illness. I can't help you with the aggression. It could be related to him being in a lot of pain and snapping on anything that provokes it or stresses him out like you touching him. Having a severely kinked tail can't feel good. It doesn't sound like its mating driven aggression/biting. A vet visit to help determine what is wrong to me is a must and this is 100% a pet ONLY gecko.

Comment

I just added a thread about my 4 yr old male Baby who is doing the same things you have been describing but he's perfectly healthy as far as I can tell. He's NOT trying to mate with my hand. He's tried to do this in the past and made the chirping sounds but this is pure stalking and biting. He refuses to eat live critters. I read 4 yr olds get cranky for a lil while but this has been going on for 6 wks and I'm getting concerned for my previously mild mannered boy. I'm glad (sorry) I'm not alone in this behavior. I've got teeth marks in my fingers that never used to happen. I'm going to keep researching.... Good luck to you!!

Comment

Originally posted by bunyz View Post
                            I just added a thread about my 4 yr old male Baby who is doing the same things you have been describing but he's perfectly healthy as far as I can tell. He's NOT trying to mate with my hand. He's tried to do this in the past and made the chirping sounds but this is pure stalking and biting. He refuses to eat live critters. I read 4 yr olds get cranky for a lil while but this has been going on for 6 wks and I'm getting concerned for my previously mild mannered boy. I'm glad (sorry) I'm not alone in this behavior. I've got teeth marks in my fingers that never used to happen. I'm going to keep researching.... Good luck to you!!
                            Any update? I've having the same issue with my cresty, did you managed to calm your crested down?

Comment

Working...
                            X