Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP FOR MY CRESTED GECKOS

Hello,

I Recently bought two crested geckos for the first time after a lot of research but there is still some questions I need help with, one is around 2 months old and the other around 4 months, I have them in separate keepers at the moment until I can sex them which i believe wont be until there a lot older, does any one know a rough guess of when?

I have created a natural viv (Exo terra 2x x 18 x 24) with a spray foam background and live plants (Ficus Tree, Umbrella Plant, Fern), in the canopy i have a Exo terra reptilglo 2.0 and a exo reptile 10.0 (couple of months old the bulbs)

Is the bulb strength to strong or to weak for my plants is my first question, even though it not related to crested geckos as such?

I also bought a Exo terra 15w night vision heat lamp bulb, just so I can see them a bit more at night, i don't think the bulb will heat a tank of this size to much, what are peoples views on this bulb is okay to keep in there?

for my substrate I've used a mix of Peat moss and eco earth but im now afraid of my crested geckos eating this by accident, this is going to be a bioactive substrate, can anyone recommend a substrate to over this on top?

i'm feeding both my geckos on repashy and crickets once a week, I've heard some banana, honey goes down well with them? is there anything people can recommend

my last question is how long do you think i should wait until i put them into the bigger tank, i was thinking of adding the 4 month year old one first of course?

Originally posted by graves1111 View Post
    Hello,

I Recently bought two crested geckos for the first time after a lot of research but there is still some questions I need help with, one is around 2 months old and the other around 4 months, I have them in separate keepers at the moment until I can sex them which i believe wont be until there a lot older, does any one know a rough guess of when?

I have created a natural viv (Exo terra 2x x 18 x 24) with a spray foam background and live plants (Ficus Tree, Umbrella Plant, Fern), in the canopy i have a Exo terra reptilglo 2.0 and a exo reptile 10.0 (couple of months old the bulbs)

Is the bulb strength to strong or to weak for my plants is my first question, even though it not related to crested geckos as such?

I also bought a Exo terra 15w night vision heat lamp bulb, just so I can see them a bit more at night, i don't think the bulb will heat a tank of this size to much, what are peoples views on this bulb is okay to keep in there?

for my substrate I've used a mix of Peat moss and eco earth but im now afraid of my crested geckos eating this by accident, this is going to be a bioactive substrate, can anyone recommend a substrate to over this on top?

i'm feeding both my geckos on repashy and crickets once a week, I've heard some banana, honey goes down well with them? is there anything people can recommend

my last question is how long do you think i should wait until i put them into the bigger tank, i was thinking of adding the 4 month year old one first of course?

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I don't have a lot of answers for you as I'm fairly new to gecko ownership myself. I have made a couple of live vivariums and I use a 6500K bulb for the plants. Not sure about the ones you have, sorry.

As for the night vision bulb, I have a red bulb that I only turn on if I am going into the gecko room and want to see what they are up to. I don't leave that on all night. I think they prefer the darkness.

There is a lot of debate over gecko's eating the substrate. I'm pretty sure that it won't just eat it for no reason but of course there is the chance that it will get some substrate when catching it's prey (crickets, worms, etc.) If you are uncomfortable you can always feed them in a separate container.

When it comes to the diet there is a lot of info in the health forum regarding nutrition. Personally I vary the diet every night. One night I might give them Repashy the next night will be Pangea (could be any of the flavours they have), the next night I will probably give Pangea again but a different flavour. I give crickets or worms once a week but many give them more often. It appears it's good to give young cresties crickets or worms more than once a week. I fed my two on the powder diets all winter and they barely gained any weight. I started to feed crickets this spring and have noticed a definite growth spurt so I would say with young ones you want to feed them crickets or worms more than once a week.

As far as when to move them the larger enclosure. I think it would depend on weight rather than age. The 24x18x24 is a huge enclosure so it could possibly be a year before they would be ready for that large an enclosure.

I hope some of this is helpful. Hopefully some others here on the forum will chime in with their advice and experience.
    5.4.9 Crested Gecko
    1.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko

Visit My FB page - Candy Box Geckos. Please give it a "LIKE" and mention you stopped by and I will visit your page as well.

Comment

Glad you are asking questions!

You should get a scale so you can weigh the two cresties. It can take a long time (around a year or so) for them to be accurately sexed. Males can develop late. Don't house them together if either is male, and make sure they are the same size. Be prepared to house separately their entire lives, as even females can fight.

Cresties do eat their substrate sometimes, whether on purpose or while digging or hunting. They will hunt shadows and water droplets, so it's not just as easy as feeding in a separate enclosure. When they are bigger, around 15 grams, you could house them (if female) in the bigger tank. They can pass the substrate easier if they happen to eat it.

I wouldn't recommend feeding fruit treats more than every two weeks. You can feed crickets up to 2 times a week, but make sure they are eating their commercial diet and not holding out for bugs. Once a week is fine.

Good luck with your new geckos!
      Specializing in Crested Geckos
      Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
      Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
      Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

I recently observed one of my youngsters eating his substrate - mistaken for bug no doubt. But he is now on paper towels to be safe. Most of mine are on paper towels for now.

I too rotate the CGD flavors some. My guys just really like Pangea. Crickets on average 6 times per month so slightly More often than once a week. Just depends on how busy I am.
        3.4.13 crested geckos!!

Comment

Hello thank you for all your answers! very very helpful

Pangela crested gecko diet looks really good I never actually seen that before, how long would the 2z last a couple of small geckos, as I'm UK based it will cost a lot to ship over here which is a shame.

if not does anyone know something just as good? I was told not to feed them worms and never anything that suggests you should on care sheets, but if your saying so ill give that a try!

do you suggest I not try to house them together even if they are both females even if I closely monitored them

what do you recommended as a substrate to go away peat moss, a orchard fine bark?

one of my crested geckos is a flame and one is flame but with spots, the spots tend to basically disappear on some days, will they grow more and will the other flame colours improve

Comment

If you search for it, you may find local distributors. Do you mean a 2 pound (US weight) or a 2oz bag? The small 2oz bag won't last very long, maybe a month or two, if you have a couple of geckos. The biggest bag will last a loooong time.

You will want to be sure they are both female before housing them together, so it will be 6 months at least so you should keep them separated. Beware of surprise late blooming males, as you don't want to have premature breeding. That's why we recommend only housing adult females. The size difference is less of a concern when they are adults but you want to stick to no more than a 15% size difference. This is a guideline, if yours get along and don't fight, they maintain their weight and health then housing them together at that point is fine. Just be sure to be prepared to separate them; even if they've been getting along for a long time they can have fights out of the blue.

Some people feed mealworms, but some have found they aren't digested easily due to their exoskeletons. Wax worms and Phoenix worms are usually fine, just be aware that waxworms are very high in fat, as are Superworms, which I recommend avoiding.

Spots can seem to disappear when the gecko fires up dark. Dalmatian spots on a light color gecko are usually more distinct. New spots can develop over time. Colors do change and pattern can spread, but it's difficult to predict. So nothing is very concrete with these guys.
            Specializing in Crested Geckos
            Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
            Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
            Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Working...
            X