Incubation Times....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incubation Times....

Okay, well I paired two of my cresteds up over 3 months ago. To be exact, I witnessed copulation on June 10. My female laid 2 eggs exactly five weeks later on July 15. Then again on August 9, September 1 & September 26. The incubators temps have basically remained in the low 70's (71*-75*) since the first egg was put in, except maybe twice of temps approaching 80*. My question is this, my oldest egg is 12 weeks now with no baby. I candeled it and saw red, but not really any veins. What's even odder is that there is something poking out the bottom of the egg that looks like the tip of a tail. If the egg has gone bad, wouldn't it dent in and eventually mold? Or could a "bad" egg show all the normal signs of a healthy and fertile one? Thanks in advance everyone.
    -Harold
    CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

That is very odd. I have no experience with this sort of thing but I'd say that after twelve weeks you might consider opening the egg to see if something went wrong. Do you have any pictures of the protrusion?
    -Marina York-

4.3.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus chahoua
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus (B)
    1.0.0 ball python
    0.1.0 BCI
    0.2.0 leopard geckos

Comment

I have heard of eggs hatching after 90 days or more so I wouldn't open the egg yet :? I dont know about the tail? sticking out maybe it is hatching now Post a pic if you can...
      ~ Cheers,Mandy

www.crestedjunkie.com

Comment

Temp seems to directly affect how long it takes them to hatch. Low 70's is pretty low. I keep mine at 78-81 degrees and have had six clutches hatch in 59, 60, and 61 days. So, don't open the egg. Chances are it's taking longer because your incubation temps are so low.
        Visit us online at: www.crestedgeckogirly.com
        Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/crestedgeckogirly21

Have YOU Hugged a Gecko Today?

Comment

I had mine in that temperature range and they hatched at 60 days. It's not unusual to take longer though, sometimes over 100 days. If there is actually something sticking out of the egg, that's odd, and maybe the baby was trying to hatch or is about to ... if it's a tail, then that's weird because they don't usually hatch tail first :P

yeah post a pic i you can, let us know what happens

Comment

Won't be able to reply much this weekend or post a pic 'til I come back from Tinley. I just checked on the egg and moisture is collecting on the top of it. I know it isn't too humid in there 'cause I keep it minimal. Anyway, I'm going to have to take it with me and just bring all my hatchling supplies with. I'm going to take extra precautions to make sure it doesn't get jostled around. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences. Peace.
            -Harold
            CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Comment

You can't tell if it's trying to hatch until there are pics, but maybe the hatchling CAN'T break out(just a possibility)
              -Chao0104-
              0.0.2 Rhacodactylus cilatus
              If life gives you oranges, make orange juice.If life gives you money, buy a crested gecko.

Comment

yeah if the egg is starting to sweat that is a good sign the gecko is about to hatch, I guess your best bet is to take it with you... good luck with it, I hope he/she has no trouble breaking out of the egg.

Comment

Just to add some of my incubation data in case anyone's interested.
                  I keep all the Rhac eggs in the basement where the temperature rarely, if ever gets over 72F, normal range is 67-72F. According to the records I've kept, it takes anywhere from 89-142 days for them to hatch. It's a long wait, but the hatchlings are big, strong, healthy suckers and eat within the first 2 or 3 days. There's barely any yolk left over, they have enough time to use it all up.

This past summer during the heat waves it did get to 74F for about 5 days and it seems to have had an effect on hatch times. The ones that were laid a month or so before the heat hit (probably already half way through incubation) hatched between 77 and 85 days. The eggs that were laid during the heat wave, starting right off with what I considered excess heat 63 and 72 days.
                  None of the eggs affected by the heat wave went over 85 days, while the earliest I normally expect hatching during a typical summer is after 90 days. The hatchlings from these 'fast eggs' are also smaller, it's easy to see the difference. The 'fast egg' geckos take 2 or 3 weeks to get to the size that the 'slow egg' geckos hatch at.

I've got a picture (someplace) that shows the difference in hatching size. If I find it, I'll post it.
                  If you can read this, thank a teacher.

Comment

Working...
                  X