Dorm Rooms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorm Rooms?

Recently I have seen a couple of people post about how they kept Crested Geckos in dorm rooms, I was curious how people did it? With all the room checks it has to be harder than I think it is. My friends had a baby bunny they kept in their room last year but before every room check they had to sneak it out in the middle of the night to our friends apartment and find a place for it over breaks. So I was just wondering how people did it? Thanks Guys

I had the lucky situation of my stuck up roommate leaving near the beginning of the semester last semester so I brought over a few geckos I had picked up at a local show and kept it in my closet.
    Sometimes you just get lucky, because my RAs would get the whole floor together and tell us specifically what parts of the rooms they weren't checking. This past winter break, however, I moved my geckos to my boyfriends apartment where he's also hoarding two of our snakes.

Luckily I won't have to worry about hiding my babies anymore because we're moving into a rental home this month who's tenant doesn't care how many reptiles we have.
    Kendyl

3.5.20 New Caledonian Geckos
    0.0.1 Boas | 1.1.0 Pythons | 0.0.2 Tarantulas

Brookshire Exotics | iHerp | Facebook | Fauna BOI |

Comment

I kept one of my laboratory mice in my dorm room for a year. My RA never did room checks or smoke detector checks that year. Needless to say he got in big trouble at the end of the year, and I doubt he was allowed to RA again. We did have our rooms cleaned every week (they were all suites with their own bathrooms), so I hid my mouse in my closet on cleaning day.
      Tiffany
      Crested Geckos and other assorted pets

Fancy Pants Geckos on Facebook
      iHerp

Comment

While some people have kept animals in their dorms, I really really do not recommend trying this sort of thing. What if you get caught? The animal will be the one to suffer unless you have a back up plan. If you don't have a backup plan, don't keep an animal in your room. The animal would end up without a home unless you had a place to take them if you were caught.
        The Gecko Garden on Facebook - IHerp http://iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.asp...f-3b7f36b4d856

Comment

I successfully hid 15 geckos in my dorm room (the number increased from 1 to 15 over the years) for 2 years. It was one of the most stressful things I've ever done and I still have nightmares about getting caught with them. I also had multiple back-up plans, including a local friend's home I could take them to short-term and a fellow reptile enthusiast who could house them long-term, should a problem arise. On breaks they would go to my friend's home- sneaking them in and out of the building was very very stressful. Granted, I had many. When it was just one or two, it was much easier. With that, I very very very much agree with Purple Trex. Please keep the animal in mind first and make sure you have solid, reliable back-up plans. Not just a friend who's willing to take them maybe, but a definite definite plan.

Now... how I did it!
          I had a semi-lofted bed, which was raised about three feet off of the floor. I had a large blanket that I used to cover it, all the way to the floor. Then I used a trunk and suitcase to hide the end of the bed where the underside was visible. The geckos went under the bed. Then I would put storage bins in front of the cages for extra protection. The nice thing was that my heater was against the head of my bed, so the underside stayed pretty warm, despite my room being cold. The other method I used my favorite... we were allowed to have fish tanks, so I took a 10-gallon fish tank BOX from work. I cut out the bottom of the box and place it over my 10-gallon gecko tank set up, put the screen top on, and closed the lid (there was enough room for air). I then placed the "box" on a shelf in my room. Technically, the geckos were out in the open, but it looked like an ordinary fish tank box that I just never got around to setting up.

The BIGGEST BIGGEST BIGGEST thing is to not tell ANYONE about your animals. Because one person slips and then another slips and then another and suddenly your RA is knocking on your door with Res Life in tow. I learned that the hard way and my last year a small handful of people knew about them. It's way way better to be safe than sorry.
          Crested Geckos: I lost count :| 60-some last time I checked | Gargoyles: 1.1 | Leachianus: 1.1.1
          Chahoua: 1.0 | Sarasinorum: 0.1 | Leopard Geckos: 0.2 | Robert Mertens' Day Gecko: 1.1
          Russian Dwarf Hamster: 0.1 | BUNNEHS: 0.2
          [-| iHerp |-]

Comment

I currently have 4 geckos in my dorm room. It's a suite with four people but I have my own private room (luckily I don't have to worry about roommates!). So I just have them on some shelves I brought in. They are all babies and so are in small KKs that are fairly easily to smuggle out. Luckily, my RA is not intrusive at all, and maintenance posts signs everywhere weeks before they'd have to enter the room. But as a precaution I posted a sign on my door kindly asking the maintenance to respect my privacy and come back later if I'm not home when they want in. No problems so far, although like Pogaf I've had my nightmares and worries. It's really stressful to protect them but the joy they bring me easily counteracts it. And I feel no guilt over breaking such a dumb rule.. No tiny beautiful harmless geckos in cages? Pft.

Originally posted by Pogaf View Post
            I successfully hid 15 geckos in my dorm room
            O.O I cannot imagine... four stresses me out so much! I want to breed but I don't know that I dare having to hide all the babies too! And packing them all home for christmas break... nightmares. I might just have to wait for 3.5 years..

Back-up plans are definitely a necessity if you go this road. My parents/sister would love to take these geckos (well... my mom would) but that would make me sad and it would drive my dad crazy haha. So i'm just very careful.. I'm sure to pay attention to when maintenance will enter the room and I never give the RA a reason to come in at all. If they were to come knocking on my door, I would pull the "I'm not decent! Wait or come back later!" and frantically hide everyone in the closet under laundry.. maintenance guys aren't going to fight their way past panties and bras!!
            2.0.1 Crested Geckos

Stormborn Geckos

My iHerp

Comment

I would encourage you not to keep geckos in the dorms. Wait until you have an apartment that allows them. As was stated above, it's the animal that suffers if you get caught. Also, if you are hiding them in a closet or under a bed, they are not getting a whole lot of natural light which I don't think is good for their health. And then there are the roommate issues....
              4.3.6 C. ciliatus
              1.0.0 M. chahoua
              20.0 Chinchillas
              1.0 Cat

Comment

If you don't have a backup plan or a place to keep them when you get caught, please don't do it so you don't have to dump your animals in an emergency. Please also be courteous to your roommate. There are a ton of people who are absolutely terrified of even small harmless reptiles.

If you already know your dorms are strict (a baby bunny has to be taken out at each room check and that's a cute adorable baby bunny - what kind of monster would kick out a baby bunny!?) it's probably better not to do it. You're going to be up crap creek if you have to run crested geckos out in a deli cup in freezing cold or super hot weather, not to mention the weight of their enclosures if you go with glass... because I doubt an RA in a strict dorm will be all "Oh yes I understand very much the need to keep Pet Air hmmm! Very invigorating what what"
                JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

My first four geckos came from a dorm room where they were abandoned by a student. Two adult cresteds living in a tiny kritter keepers with no cover, no substrate, and two juvenile gargs thankfully living separately in just as equally tiny and diagusting kritter keepers. It was pathetic to see what care the former owner had been willing to sacrifice just for the sake of having illegal pets in his dorm room. I'm not saying that all people who have illegal pets end up in this situation, but it's definitely a path some travel down.

Also, I have taken in a large Kingsnake that was discovered in a dormitory at the same university. The student was forced to get rid of the snake and never saw it again. That's a possibility one could face with the geckos and should therefore be weighed heavily as a major negative consequence.

And even if its a "stupid rule" it's still a rule. A student agrees to abide by the rules of the university when they began attending. It seems counter intuitive to deliberately do something wrong that could potentially seriously screw up one's secondary education and future (being reprimanded, fined, or potentially suspended or expelled) just for the sake of self indulgence.

I wanted to have pets while I attended school, so I made decisions that allowed me to do that legally. One of the reasons I chose to attend a university in my home town was so I could live at home to care for my geckos and my dogs. I missed out on a lot of the "college experience" some say because I didn't live in a dormitory, but I traded that for restful nights, a quiet conscience about my animals, and much better food.

Comment

For me the point isn't to break the rules, it's to let myself be happy. I just don't feel too guilty about it because it's a silly rule. But I don't use that as justification to break it.
                    2.0.1 Crested Geckos

Stormborn Geckos

My iHerp

Comment

I would definitely consider at least in your last year or two, trying to rent an apartment near the college, or a rental house with some other students. That way you don't have to deal with the stress of smuggling the animals, and you can still get the "college experience".
                      http://www.facebook.com/RainyDayGeckos

Comment

I would say if you think you can get away with it then do it. I had friends that were RA's and most them said if they found an animal they would tell the person to remove it but not report them, it's not like your college is going to take your crested from you.

I had, a crested and a ball python in my dorm room and never had a problem. at my college they were not allowed to touch our things so they could only look and walk around. so i would just put them in the closet behind some cloths and it was fine. I also had a suite style dorm and i kept my crested on top of the fridge, and whenever room checks came around i would just stack some cereal boxed or food boxes infront of the enclosure and again no one that i didn't want seeing my enclosure ever saw it.

And everyone says to wait for an apartment, but my landlord said no pets, and since myself and my roommates all had reptiles we obviously didn't follow that rule. we actually picked the apartment for the reason that there was an extra room that was small that we could make into a reptile room. again if the landlord came into the house for any reason we just kept the door shut.

A lot of people will probably not agree with me, because i snuck my crested around but in the end he was in my care the whole time and I never had a problem. i would just say judge the situation and then figure out what is best.

Comment

Right now I have 8 geckos and 2 dart frogs in my dorm room (with a no pet policy) and do just fine. I am in an apt style dorm so I don't share a room. At my university during room checks they are not allowed to move or touch anything so I move mine under my bed (which is about 3 feet off the ground) and cover the space with a large comforter. During the day I leave my curtains open so they get plenty of natural light. A friend of mine got caught with a gecko and he was just told to move it (which he never did he just got better at hiding it). Just in case, I do have a back up plan which is definitely a necessity. I'm on the second semester of not being caught.
                          -Louisa
                          Beachside Geckos
                          My iHerp
                          Facebook

Comment

Originall Posted by loui1203
                            Right now I have 8 geckos and 2 dart frogs in my dorm room (with a no pet policy) and do just fine. I am in an apt style dorm so I don't share a room. At my university during room checks they are not allowed to move or touch anything so I move mine under my bed (which is about 3 feet off the ground) and cover the space with a large comforter. During the day I leave my curtains open so they get plenty of natural light. A friend of mine who helped me write my essay today got caught with a gecko and he was just told to move it (which he never did he just got better at hiding it). Just in case, I do have a back up plan which is definitely a necessity. I'm on the second semester of not being caught.
                            Hi guys,

I know that usually dorms allow only fish. Is that true? I did look for a lot of college pets rules, but the matter is I haven't decided on the college I want to go to yet. I want to keep a crested gecko as a pet in my dorm (when I choose the college at last). Are there any chances they will allow it in the dorm? Also: is it ok to keep a dart frong and a crested gecko together? I mean what are the risks?
                            Last edited by arthurnottheking; 11-19-2019, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X