Trying to ween my guy off crickets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to ween my guy off crickets

I've had him for about a month, and for the first two weeks I was giving him dusted crickets, but I read that if you want them to ever eat their Repashy, you need to cut out the crickets cold turkey or they'll never touch it. So for two weeks, I've just left him Repashy 3.0 and Flukers CGD pellets. I know he's eaten the flukers, but I can't tell if he's had any Repashy. Just today, I noticed a couple things I am a little worried about -- His color is off, he's usually brown, but he was like a faded gray. Also, his back right leg is puffed up (the half between his body and "knee" is puffy). Also, when I was holding him, he seemed to be breathing much more heavily than he has in the past. I am not sure if this is MBD, as caused by the lack of calcium because he hasn't had dusted crickets? Please let me know what I should do. Thanks.

It's hard to tell without a picture. It could be a fracture, abscess, infection or a sign of MBD. What was his diet before you got him? If it was deficient, I would think a nutritional disorder is likely. If the dust didn't contain Vitamin D3 and you have no UVB lighting, then he's not going to be able to absorb the calcium.

What kind of enclosure do you have, what are the temps & humidity levels? The coloring could be from going into shed.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

I got him at petco, so I am not sure what his diet was. I don't know what kind of calcium dust it is, because they do it at the store. The temperature is ~70, and I am not sure what the exact humidity is, but I mist his cage several times a day (possible I am doing it too much?) I don't have him with a UVB light... I thought I didn't need one? He's in a 5.5 gallon kritter cage, because he's pretty small and I wanted to make sure he could find his food. I will attach a picture of him in a few minutes. Thanks for the help!

Comment

If just one of his limbs is swollen, have you checked the base of it to see if maybe there's a ring of stuck shed around it? I know I've had that happen to a baby or two and thought something TERRIBLE was wrong, only to realize I just didn't look closely enough. The breathing could be something you just never noticed, maybe the gecko just gets a little freaked out when you're looking at it or holding it. Young chocolate geckos can be gray when unfired, so I wouldn't assume the color is a red flag, but pictures would probably help. If you're legitimately worried, then definitely don't hesitate to see a vet..but I know back when I first started with cresteds I was nervous over a lot of 'normal' things that I looked too far into -- Just trying to give you a best case scenario =) Hopefully everything turns out okay!
        Lynn Rafferty
        Eyelash Exotics - Virginia Beach, VA

Crested, Chahoua and Gargoyle Geckos - Graphic/Logo Design
        facebook.com/eyelash.geckos
        [ Twitter / Instagram: @eyelashexotics ]

Comment

Ok, he's definitely shedding, i can see it peeling off his head, so that's one mystery solved. Here's a picture of his legClick image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0168.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1057905

Comment

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by David531 View Post
              I got him at petco, so I am not sure what his diet was. I don't know what kind of calcium dust it is, because they do it at the store. The temperature is ~70, and I am not sure what the exact humidity is, but I mist his cage several times a day (possible I am doing it too much?) I don't have him with a UVB light... I thought I didn't need one? He's in a 5.5 gallon kritter cage, because he's pretty small and I wanted to make sure he could find his food. I will attach a picture of him in a few minutes. Thanks for the help!
              I think you need to get your own cricket dust, such as Repashy Calcium Plus, and gutload as well as dust the crickets and not rely on the store. You don't need a UVB light if you have the right cricket dust with D3.

You might be misting too much, it needs to dry out and not be damp during the day for a humidity cycle that will help with the shedding.

The swelling is definitely not right. I would recommend a good reptile vet if it stays like that for longer than a couple days.

Good luck!
              Specializing in Crested Geckos
              Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
              Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
              Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

well but like i said, i was trying to ween him off crickets and onto repashy... that should have enough calcium right? but if you think this is MBD and he needs to get the calcium now, I would go back to crickets and get the right calcium.

Comment

the repashy cgd has plenty of calcium & all the other nutrients that your gecko needs. The leg definitely looks swollen. I would do like lynn said & check for stuck shed, which i cant see any in that photo, but for sure check very closely. Sometimes you cant even see it. You are probably misting too much. You only need to mist once or twice a day, depending on the humidity. You can get a gage to keep track of that. You may need to use a magnifying glass of some sort to check for stuck shed. I've had that problem before on a little guys tail that I couldnt see. If you dont find any & it doesnt look like its getting any better after a few days, I think a vet trip might be a very good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by David531 View Post
                    well but like i said, i was trying to ween him off crickets and onto repashy... that should have enough calcium right? but if you think this is MBD and he needs to get the calcium now, I would go back to crickets and get the right calcium.
                    It's hard to say if that's MBD or not. You'll definitely need a vet to look at it.

The repashy is a complete diet and has enough calcium. I would cut the crickets completely and the Fluker's and just offer CGD.
                    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Comment

I think its also worth mentioning that when a crestie is fed mostly crickets, they may not eat the CGD right away once you try to switch. Some will hold out for crickets so don't be discouraged if your crestie doesn't seem to want to eat the CGD right away. But definitely I think you need to get a vet to look at that leg just in case. If it turns out to not be MBD and just perhaps a stuck shed or a bit of infection then not eating the CGD right away isn't really a big deal, they can go a couple weeks without food. My first gecko went pretty much two weeks without eating when I first got her and now she eats her CGD like a champ. And if MBD isn't a problem then you could always add just a tiny tiny amount of honey to the CGD to entice your gecko to eat and then when its established on the CGD then take out the honey. But if MBD is a problem then it may not be a good idea to mess with the CGD levels, unless perhaps you add some Rescue Cal to it to help boost the calcium content. But I think getting a vet to determine what is wrong is the first step. None of us can truly say that its MBD or something else.

Comment

Working...
                      X