New to Cresties :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Cresties :D

I will be getting a crested in a couple of weeks and I would love some advice on how to care for him.

So far I bought a 12x12x18 exo terra terrarium, would that be big enough for one adult crested?

What is the best substrate to use over all? I heard paper towels?

Are there different CGD's? If so, what is the best?

I bought a heating pad, is a UVB light necessary?

What is the best thing to do to avoid crested stress?

Any help is welcomed

You'll want a larger Exo-Terra for an adult. Try and 18x18x24. You don't need a heating pad. Cresteds do best at room temperature. Heat stresses them out and can kill them.

I prefer paper towels as substrate. Provide lots of safe stuff to climb on and hide in so he or she won't be stressed. The Repashy CGD 3.0 (available in the Pangea store) is best.

If you don't mind me asking, how much research have you done?
    Stickyfoot Dragons on Facebook

“You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.”
    -Paul McCartney

Comment

Welcome to the addiction! only have one myself lol, but I'm getting more in the future haha. The tank is fine, it's the minimum size, but is fine for one adult crestie. That being said, theres no harm in investing in a 18x18x24 tank for an adult. Paper towel is easy, but you have to pretty much change it every 5days-1week. I use forest floor substrate, looks nice, and holds humidity well. Just be careful with younger geckos, you shoul house them on paper towel in my opinion. There are different GCDs, the best being the new 3.0 diet. You can order it on the pangea store. To avoid stress, don't handle you're gecko for at least a week after getting it so it can settle in. Take handling with the little guy real slow and easy at first, take him out for 5-10 mins, then you can gradually work up to 20mins. You're gonna love your crestie they're awesome
      One male Crested Gecko, Named......
      HOT FRY

Comment

Originally posted by Milkshake432567 View Post
        The tank is fine, it's the minimum size, but is fine for one adult crestie. That being said, theres no harm in investing in a 18x18x24 tank for an adult.
        Really? I've read most people say they are fine for juveniles but really too small for adults and having seen one IRL, i kind of agree. They seem so small.
        Stickyfoot Dragons on Facebook

“You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.”
        -Paul McCartney

Comment

I've been researching for about 2 weeks straight , there's so many different opinions! I was talked into buying a heat pad for tropical reptiles at the pet store. I thought they have to be between 65 and 80 degrees ?

Comment

Yah I don't like the idea of it personally but some people have told me it was the minimum size. I could be wrong, I'm just a newbie lol. At a local pet shop I was told it was fine but I didn't like the idea of it so I got an 18x18x24
            HOT FRY

Comment

haha thanks ! And I'm sooooo excited I've been wanting one for a long time !

Comment

Originally posted by Paola View Post
                haha thanks ! And I'm sooooo excited I've been wanting one for a long time !
                I waited about 2 years before I got mine, but along the way I got some other reptiles. I felt the same away right before I got mine haha
                HOT FRY

Comment

It is rather small but I've been told it is the minimum :/

Comment

Haha meee to , I haven't owned any reptiles yet :/ just some dogs and fish . I'm nervous lol

Comment

Haha meee to , I haven't owned any reptiles yet :/ just some dogs and fish . I'm nervous lol
                      Haha don't worry. There a great starter species and are pretty hardy for geckos. Just as long as you did your research you'll be fine!
                      HOT FRY

Comment

I will be getting a crested in a couple of weeks and I would love some advice on how to care for him.

So far I bought a 12x12x18 exo terra terrarium, would that be big enough for one adult crested?

What is the best substrate to use over all? I heard paper towels?

Are there different CGD's? If so, what is the best?

I bought a heating pad, is a UVB light necessary?

What is the best thing to do to avoid crested stress?

Any help is welcomed
                        You need a 12x12x18 for the juveniles so they can find their food easily. Once they get to be 7-10g, move them over to an 18x18x24 (minimum).

Paper towels are the safest and easiest to clean out. You've gotta switch them out twice a week (I do Wednesday and Saturday) but it's super simple.

There is. I would suggest 3.0 and I like to go between using the original flavor and the peach flavor, just to keep it different for Felix. They tend to get bored of it sometimes and won't eat.

Don't use the heating pad. It's not necessary and it could stress your crested out or even kill it. I use a 15 WATT UVB "Night" bulb for when it's winter time, or just a little on the cold side in the cage.

Just watch over them. Figure out what's normal for your crested and try your best to keep things the way he/she likes it. Don't hold them for too long when you get them (5 minutes max) and be VERY careful with their toes and tail. They're fragile, so treat them like a new born baby.

An additional note. STAY AWAY FROM BABY FOOD. Keep your gecko on CGD with a cricket/fruit treat MAYBE once a week. If you feed them only baby food or crickets, they could get Metabolic Bone Disease. Make sure you mist them and keep humidity between 65%-75%. Temp should be between 65-80. Mid 70s are best.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I have lots of 12x12x18s for single adults. Nobody ever seemed to mind. I prefer bigger cages, but then again, I keep more than one gecko per cage. I know people with rack systems that their geckos thrive in that are the same size as a 12x12x18 or smaller. Not pushing the idea of restricting their space, but even the geckos in the big cages tend to find one place to hang out and stay there 90% of the time. Maybe I just breed lazy ones who knows.
                          Lynn Rafferty
                          Eyelash Exotics - Virginia Beach, VA

Crested, Chahoua and Gargoyle Geckos - Graphic/Logo Design
                          facebook.com/eyelash.geckos
                          [ Twitter / Instagram: @eyelashexotics ]

Comment

I say 12x12x18 is minimum for one adult. I have my adult crestie in an 18x18x18 tank which is more than enough room for him in my opinion, I'd only get an 18x18x24 if I was planning on housing two females together.
                            1.0.0 Crested Geckos - Riot
                            1.1.0 Gargoyle Geckos - Shaymus & Zombie
                            0.1.0 Cats - Smudge
                            R.I.P Havoc

Comment

Originally posted by faint View Post
                              I say 12x12x18 is minimum for one adult. I have my adult crestie in an 18x18x18 tank which is more than enough room for him in my opinion, I'd only get an 18x18x24 if I was planning on housing two females together.
                              Yeah, I definitely wouldn't go any smaller than that. 18x18x18 is very generous of you to use for one gecko I don't know how but I ended up with dozens of exo terras instead of rack systems over the years. I've seen adults thrive in small environments, but I think a lot of it has to do with what you personally are comfortable with. Especially if you're not breeding big time, it doesn't hurt to give them a nice big tank to live in, as long as finding food isn't an issue =)
                              Lynn Rafferty
                              Eyelash Exotics - Virginia Beach, VA

Crested, Chahoua and Gargoyle Geckos - Graphic/Logo Design
                              facebook.com/eyelash.geckos
                              [ Twitter / Instagram: @eyelashexotics ]

Comment

Working...
                              X