No announcement yet.

Possible Mouth Rot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always knew that about pet supplies plus, and again, I feel uneducated now, but I was always under the impression "special" food likes Repashy was re-packaged baby food. Now I am paying for it.

Comment

Originally posted by frankpending View Post
      Tommorow I will contact my normal veterinary for my dogs and see if she has suggestions, what can I do myself until I see a vet?
      Until you see a vet, all you can do is try and feed her Repashy (try putting a drop of it on the side of her mouth and wait for her to lick it off) and RescueCal.
      Stickyfoot Dragons on Facebook

“You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.”
      -Paul McCartney

Comment

I meant what is my next step? Do I keep feeding her and attempt to get her back to normal habits?

Comment

Got it! Thank you very much, sorry again for spamming the thread but my girlfriend is breathing down my neck. I appreciate all the information again.

Comment

No worries. Keep us posted on her recovery? We are all more than happy to answer any questions and love to see updates.

Don't beat yourself up too badly. You didn't know but you do now and you're trying to fix it and that's what counts.
            Stickyfoot Dragons on Facebook

“You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.”
            -Paul McCartney

Comment

Another thing you can do in the meantime is see if your gecko will take mashed fruit or fig. Some crestie owners have successfully raised cresties on a diet of dusted gut-loaded crickets and fruit - given in the right amounts, it is a balanced diet. Repashy is still the number one choice though. Baby food is not advised, and more often than not, does way more harm than good.
              Something else to know - some geckos raised on baby food will not take to Repashy right away, as it's not as sweet. If you find you're having problems feeding the Repashy, come on back here and there will be more than enough people willing to help you out with that too. Good luck!
              ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

Agh really, we mix calcium in with her baby food and sprinkle it on her crickets, pretty hefty amounts.
                Are you also using calcium with vitamin D3? A little is good, too much is deadly so it's very important you balance out their diet. Cresties are more complex in their dietary care than true insectivores; both fruit and insects are generally low in calcium and high in phosphorus. That's why Repashy's CGD is a revolutionary product that not only meets their nutritional needs but also makes it a lot easier. Their insect dust - Calcium Plus - is also extremely useful because it balances out the calcium to phosphorus ratio and provides additional nutrients.

To help your little one recover from MBD, make sure you can provide the most balanced food source (Repashy CGD) and dust insects with a calcium powder that has D3 in it. Providing UVB lighting can also help him absorb the calcium better. If you can't get a UVB bulb, try some natural sunlight, as long as the temps don't exceed 75ish for about 15-30 minutes. Be careful when taking your gecko outside! For additional calcium supplementation, Repashy Rescue Cal (mentioned in a previous post) is also very helpful, as the added magnesium helps calcium absorption also.

Good luck!
                Specializing in Crested Geckos
                Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

I feel irresponsible, I have done nothing but research research research. We have a savannah monitor with dwarfism issues, and now this. She has a low cage, nothing unsafe to fall from currently. The calcium does however, and as stated before, she gets liberal amounts. Any other possibility or our we pretty certain it could be this?
                  Sorry, definitely MBD.
                  Brooks

Comment

one of mine started getting the mouth issue, not as bad looking but i just did a bit more calcium and a uvb.

Comment

I'm very concerned about the diet you have your gecko on. You definitely don't want her main source of food to be baby food. It is great for human infants, but not for crested geckos. It's meant to be a treat given MAYBE once a month.
                      A diet of baby food and crickets, even with added calcium, won't work.
                      For your future crested geckos, and hopefully this one if she pulls through, keep it on a strict diet of CGD with crickets once a week.

Comment

In order for your Crestie to absorb the calcium...D3 MUST be present.,,and NONE of my Rhacs will eat calcium powder straight.
                        You may want to consider exposing this little one to UVB a couple of times a week and definately get some ResCal.

BABY FOOD is the DEVIL for these guys. I'm glad you're trying to help him feel better))
                        MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
                        I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
                        Let's just say my house is a zoo)

Comment

Here's a Quick Thread about MBD http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...uick-reference

6.9.4.7 R. Ciliatus
                          1.0.0 Brooksi King

1.1.0 Pantherophis guttatus

AM Exotics

Comment

Working...
                          X