Possible Mouth Rot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Mouth Rot?

Me and my girlfriend have had our crestie for about four months now. I would guess she is about a year old. We purchased her from a pet store and they are always iffy on age. However, up until the last month, she was acting completely normal. As playful as a puppy almost, constantly exploring, eating, sleeping. Recently she is becoming very lethargic and yesterday we noticed and injury by her mouth. She has one on each side (see picture below) and has been becoming less interested in food. Her current diet consists of primarily baby food and crickets, however we just ordered "Rapashi" I believe it is called because no pet store has it around here. The sore on the right side of her mouth is much worse then the left, and as you can tell, she has some swelling problems. What is this?
    Attached Files

Oh my. This isn't mouth rot. This is MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease) and it is caused by improper diet and lack of calcium. The bottom jaw and swollen front legs are a dead giveaway.
    Stickyfoot Dragons on Facebook

“You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.”
    -Paul McCartney

Comment

Yeah I think you need to get your gecko in to a vet, it looks to me like there are some serious calcium issues here. www.herpvetconnection.com is a good place to try and find a vet with reptile experience.

Comment

Agh really, we mix calcium in with her baby food and sprinkle it on her crickets, pretty hefty amounts. Thank you for the hasty response.

Comment

The only problem with a herp vet is that we have none relatively close, I am talking 4 hour minimum drive, and I work six days a week, anything I can do in the mean time until I can get her there next week.

Comment

Sorry to spam my own thread as well, but her calcium sacks are nice and bulbous.

Comment

If your Repashy order hasn't been completed, maybe try adding some RescueCal (also by Repashy) into it? Or try and find some liquid Calcium glubianate?

Comment

Originally posted by frankpending View Post
                Agh really, we mix calcium in with her baby food and sprinkle it on her crickets, pretty hefty amounts. Thank you for the hasty response.
                From Moon Valley Reptiles (and I am quoting them because they say it better than I ever could):

"The bioavailability of calcium is determined not just by overal calcium in the diet but also the interaction of other vitamins & minerals – most notably vitamin D3 and phosphorus. When the right balance is not available in the diet, calcium is pulled from it’s usual storage – bone mass."

-Paul McCartney

Comment

ohh poor baby meanwhile make sure to give this gecko a lower cage make sure it can't fall from a high height as with its delicate bones they might just break. does your calcium have d3 in it????
                  11.8.16.3 crested geckos

www.iherp.com/limegreenartist
                  www.crestieicandy.weebly.com

Comment

I feel irresponsible, I have done nothing but research research research. We have a savannah monitor with dwarfism issues, and now this. She has a low cage, nothing unsafe to fall from currently. The calcium does however, and as stated before, she gets liberal amounts. Any other possibility or our we pretty certain it could be this?

Comment

Originally posted by frankpending View Post
                      Sorry to spam my own thread as well, but her calcium sacks are nice and bulbous.
                      Her calcium sacs might be bulging, but the bones are soft. The jaw and front legs are swollen, either from fractures due to weakness or swelling as the body replaces calcified bone with fibrous tissue. There aren't any other diseases that cause these changes.

I'm a veterinarian that sees reptiles, but you won't find me on herpvet website. Call around locally and see if you can find a local recommendation. An x-ray will quickly determine the severity of the problem and if there are any fracture present.
                      www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
                      Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
                      3.9.20+ crested geckos
                      Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
                      Pickle - unsexed leachie

Comment

Well thank you. I am two day shipping Repashy. Should I try feeding her with a syringe and catheter? Or her usual eating habits, eating from a spoon or a small plate.

Comment

Tommorow I will contact my normal veterinary for my dogs and see if she has suggestions, what can I do myself until I see a vet?

Comment

As far as I know, there really isn't anything else that presents the way MBD does. There is a possibility this was caused by a vitamin deficiency as well. But yeah, this really does seem to be MBD. This is why proper diet is so terribly important. Sadly a lot of pet stores and uninformed people recommend baby food and this is often what happens. The good news is that with proper treatment, she will likely recover but any bone deformities will be permanent.

-Paul McCartney

Comment

There's nothing more to do - it takes time to replace the nutrients she's been missing for so many months.
                              www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
                              Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
                              3.9.20+ crested geckos
                              Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
                              Pickle - unsexed leachie

Comment

Working...
                              X