Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• - Looking For Tricks To Split Toes Apart (Affected By Shed) -

Hello,

I have posted a couple threads about this little guy and he is still keeping me busy (he is a baby at one and a half months).

It has probably been almost two weeks of on and off saunas and q-tiping to try and help him with his shed.

Every second day I give him a 15 minute warm humid sauna then slowly try to get as much off as I can for about 2-3 minutes. He then decided to walk through his food with everyone of his feet... I managed to get most of the food from his feet but it had made the shed that was stuck there even harder causing a couple toes to start to stick together.

I am at a point where I feel like the saunas arnt doing anything... Should I be doing them more or less and is there something anyone has found that will get in between the toes without hurting them?

Thanks everyone and have a great day!

Comment

I would think to just keep giving the soak and rub the q-tip around the toes still. It's hard, but it works; I had a baby with toes stuck together from CGD and I thought they would never come apart. If you can see the food peeling off and you have tiny hands, you could try to peel the food off with your fingers. That's what did the trick for me.
      My collection

Comment

once it is wet lightly massage the foot and the toes should come apart. if you are good with your hands and see a tiny bit of the food sticking out what works is a toothpick don't touch the gecko with it or it will hurt it but just hold down some stuck on food to a surface like a hand, papertowel whatever surface pleases you hold firm and let the gecko walk away and some food should be left behind. Again be careful not to poke the poor thing. sometimes tweezers work too but same precaution both cases make sure its wet first
        11.8.16.3 crested geckos

www.iherp.com/limegreenartist
        www.crestieicandy.weebly.com

Comment

I found that with feet, instead of rubbing the q-tip, it worked well to have them step on the tip of it and then twirl the q-tip so that it is pulling on the food and gunk on the bottom of the foot and not just petting the top of the food. This coupled with sauna tends to work for me.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Yeah I have some shed issues with my crestie too. He has some shedding on his legs and it wont come off even after a 15-20 sauna. I tried to use a Qtip to rub the skin off, but he get's a figgity about it.

Comment

I finally got his toes appart after 2 weeks of working at it!! I needed to get something that was a little more rough to split them apart. Toothpick worked great (being very carful of coarse). I also found tweezers helped pull away any other shed on legs/back.
                I felt like a docter doing an opperation but in the end he is a happy gecko!

Comment

I sometimes use an emery board nail file or a rough stone to put in their enclosures so that they have a rough surface to help with shedding. But for tiny babies, direct intervention is sometimes necessary and usually just handling the animal and scratching lightly with a fingernail and gently pulling off stuck shed is the way to go.
                  Specializing in Crested Geckos
                  Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                  Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                  Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

glad my suggestions helped they are amazing tools but i hesitate recommending them unless its an extreme situation as they can easily cause harm ........
                    11.8.16.3 crested geckos

Comment

Originally posted by limegreenartist View Post
                      glad my suggestions helped they are amazing tools but i hesitate recommending them unless its an extreme situation as they can easily cause harm ........
                      Yes I understand. I also do have rough rocks in his enclosure.

(Week three of saunas....)
                      I really don't know if this gecko is ever going to shed proper... Not even 24 hours after seperating his back toes they have all ready stuck back together... He also has build up on his front feet (again). I am going to try the fingernail suggestion but I dont understand why his toes keep sticking back together. It it almost like they where stuck together for so long that now they natually go back to that position. I need tiny gecko toe wedges

Off to do another session in hopes it will be the last but almost knowing he is a problem child that is not going to grow out of it....

Comment

dry the toes or touch em they are prob jsut on top of each other or whatever not stuck again... or slight stuck i do a gently rubbing of their toes inbetween my two fingers roll them and they unstick ...
                        11.8.16.3 crested geckos

Comment

I just provide a moist hide and will q-tip the toes if Im worried about it. In one instance, I was extremely worried about toe loss and simply gave the toes a couple of direct squirts with a fine stream of water from a spray bottle. Did the trick.

Comment

Working...
                          X