Feeding and supplement clarification please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding and supplement clarification please

I got my crestie on Friday. Petsmart had Quin on babyfood. I have been offering baby food until the Repashy CGD gets here, its been ordered and should be here before the weeks out. He has eaten once since Friday that I can tell on his own. Last night I offered crix in a feeding tank, he refused. Then he licked a little strawberry yogurt from my finger. I have read that yogurt can be beneficial when they arent eating.

Is cold turkey the best method of switching? Im pretty sure Quin isnt going to starve himself.

If I put fresh CGD in the viv every other day when do I offer crix? I know I have to wait till he accepts the CGD.

Is it true that no supplements are required with the CGD?

Was it OK to place Quin in a feeding tank to offer crix? I really dont want those nasty dirty things running all over his viv nibbling on him while he sleeps.

Besides crix what else can I offer in the way of live food? Keep in mind Im in FL so I cant feed dubia. (my tarantulas are not happy about this!)

I think thats it for now! Thanks everyone!
    ~JEN~
    0.0.1 Rachodactylus Auriculatus "Gilligan"
    1.0.0 Very Spoiled Guinea Pig

Switching as to CGD I assume? They won't usually starve themselves as they tend to eat it in the end however I have found one or two of my geckos that had a hard time switching to CGD. In this case I try to take some dry CGD powder and dust my crickets with it and that usually gets them used to the taste.

I usually have a 'cricket night' once a week where I offer crickets instead of replacing CGD for that day and replace it the day after. From what I know lots of people do fine with putting their cresties on just CGD but the geckos who feed only on CGD usually tend to grow really really slow compared to the ones that are offered dusted/gutloaded insects every once in a while.

MOST of my geckos eat crickets fine in a feeding tank which I do just to make sure they all get an equal share, however some just seem uninterested in an environment they aren't used too. In this case I've been most successful with putting the crickets in a clear plastic deli cup and then placing it inside my crestie's enclosure. I find the cup empty everytime I do this, and this prevents the crickets from potentially running rampant around the enclosure.

Besides dubia I heard phoenix worms were awesome as they are super high in calcium (no dusting/gutloading required). Hope this helps
    iHerp

Comment

feeding...

You sound like me when I started out soooooo many questions
      CGD is complete...when you feed it you don't need to add anything. Especially since you are transitioning from baby food....do NOT give feeders or any other treats until your little one is completely hooked on Repashy.
      I only have ONE that really likes bugs...the others could care less.
      When you DO start giving Crix I would advise a feeding schedule of CGD left in for 2 days...CGD left for 2 days, then feed one or two small crix..make sure that they are gut loaded and dusted properly...if they're not they can do damage in the long run. You do not HAVE to feed Crix...or any other feeder...Cresties don't HAVE to have them...
      but some enjoy the chase...and it's fun to watch
      As for feeding in a separate viv...I have one adult that will NOT hunt Crix in a separate viv...but if I put them in his enclosure he gobbles them right up..I just have to make sure they are all gone before daylight when he goes to sleep.
      If you do try feeding in a separate area it wil help if you have some cover to help him/her feel safe.
      If you haven't done Crix before...be aware that they die very easily and create a bit of a stink..
      other than dubias I have read of people using hornworms, but I have not done so personally.
      There is one type that can release a caustic substance that can burn your baby's skin...I can't think of what they're called at the moment..I have also read about silkworms but never tried them.
      MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
      I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
      Let's just say my house is a zoo)

Comment

feeders

The ones that can cause the chemical burns are called Butterworms...Phoenix worms are supposed to GREAT!
        MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
        I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
        Let's just say my house is a zoo)

Comment

Thanks guys! This helps alot.

I had a bearded dragon for a looong time. So atleast I understand feeders and dusting and such but thats about it! I cant believe how much easier Quin is to care for!

Maybe this evening Im going to put a few dusted crix in his viv so he can hunt them that way. Right now I just want him to get some calories BEFORE I turn into "mean mommy" and make Quin eat GCD!

He seems to love to be handled, or am I misunderstanding him? He walks all over my hands and arms tasting me every now and again.

Silkworms are a good feeder and easy to care for. When I had my bearded dragon I always bought silkworm eggs from Mulberry Farms. If I remember right the silkworms have something in them that helps the animal eating them to better absorb the calcium in their diet. They are also very soft. Hornworms get HUGE fast I would ne afraid to buy those I dont think Quin would eat them before they got too big.
          ~JEN~
          0.0.1 Rachodactylus Auriculatus "Gilligan"
          1.0.0 Very Spoiled Guinea Pig

Comment

Working...
          X