Custom Background

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Background

I was thinking of make a custom background with great stuff, silicone, and coco fiber. I never made one before but I have used great stuff. Was wondering if anyone has done this and how to apply great stuff, is there a certain pattern? Also any tips if any!?

I'm going to start it tonight so we will see how it goes. I'll test it picture updated with a how to
    4.3.7 Crested Gecko
    0.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko

Facebook
    Rhacs Unlimited

I've done it...it turned out fine..but I would NOT do it again. It's just a LOT of work for something you don't really SEE. There is one poster that uses gorilla glue instead...she applies it, mists with water so it expands, then applies the eco earth and moss. NO smell, NON toxic, and WAY less messy. I used GG recently to attach mesh screen...and it is just WAY easier to use. No silicone needed!!!
    MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
    I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
    Let's just say my house is a zoo)

Comment

I also used silk plants and flowers in mine...by the time I was done I spent WAY too much $$$$.
      MyRhacdiction

Comment

Gorilla glue would cost 3x more for the size I'm doing, I don't mind the work lol projects are done over night but ill see what gg runs and weigh the option, I heard glue is good for the tree bark look.
        4.3.7 Crested Gecko
        0.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko

Facebook
        Rhacs Unlimited

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	775.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1056743Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000009.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1056740Click image for larger version

Name:	761.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1056741Well...as for tips...I applied black silicone to the back and sides...up to about 3 inches...then let it dry overnight. When you apply GS don't try to spray it in a real pattern...be random...it looks better. Make sure you are using safe silicone...I used 2 tubes of brown GE I Silicone..got it at Walmart. Then I put TONS of eco earth and moss on top of it and pressed it down firmly...but not hard enough to break down the foam. I let it sit like that for about a week, then I removed the excess eco earth and moss...had to touch up a couple places. When all was said and done I used a new, sharp razor blade to remove the excess silicone from the sides of the tank. Since I used silk plants and flowers, I just stuck my stems right into the GS...worked great
          Good luck! Make SURE you wear gloves and OLD clothes!
          Attached Files
          MyRhacdiction

Comment

oops...double post
            MyRhacdiction

Comment

So i just did one... first came the complications between the TYPES of silicon... DAP, Silicon I, Silicon II, ALEX .... ALEX is 100% not animal safe, so thats ones out.. but some day DAP is poisionous if submerged (i see heavy misting as enough to bring out toxins) while other say to go only for DAP... then the battle of Silicon I and Silicon II, both cure differently.. and out of say 30-40 forums on aquariums and viv's i have seen each being tossed around as poisionous or deadly... so honestly i dont feel safe with any of my choices as of yet. You have to get a door and window silicon, not a bath/kitchen due to mold inhibitors, but if you look on the back in the fine print of ALL of the silicons at my local home-depot and lowes, they all say "For a great mold free installation" .. meaning they all have some sort of inhibitor. Just go with Aquarium safe silicon from an aquarium dealer. I used the GS background, and had no issues at all with fumes on that part, was very easy, i recommond getting the BIG crack filler, not the crack filler, less cans, easier to make lumpy for detail. Coated in Silicon II, which so far is still stinking after 2 weeks, so I now took my whole project and stuck it in the attic for a couple months, see if it ever stops smelling... biggest waist of time so far.. i just went out and bought a Exo-terra tank (18X18X24) with a background in it, split fold glass doors, mesh top, for less then i would have invested in my homemade one.... just FYI keep track of the expense.. it adds up much quicker then you think. Otherwise, good luck, have fun, and if you do it, let me know how it turns out, ill add pictures of the one i made out of a 20Gal long stood up-right later
              --Jeff--
              1.0.0 E. Macularius - Ice (Super Snow) / 2.1.2 R. Ciliatus - Orion, Spidey, Pumpkin,Bernadette,Penny/0.1.0 R. auriculatus -(Red stripe) / 1.0.0 Testudo graeca / 0.1.0 Acanthosaura capra / 0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps

Comment

Working...
              X