Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyral
    replied
    Heh, love the names Bacon & Eggs. I'm leaning towards female on Eggs, too - but I've had a late bloomer so I'm always suspicious of the slightest bulge now. If you find eggs from Eggs then you'll know for sure she's female!

Leave a comment:

• Pogaf
    replied
    Awesome! Keep checking on them and definitely never count eggs out!

Canute fires up a nice dark color- I'm a fan of the grays too!

Leave a comment:

• hooray
    replied
    Well I'll see if either of the eggs are fertile before I put them back together I guess; it would be great if the other one was a female because then they could live together again! Also I'd have an extra tank to expand my pet collection....maybe not the best thing. Canute has similar coloring to Eggs! I like the yellow with the grey I don't know how common it is but its pretty!

...umm so just went to try candling the eggs again, and I saw a definite 'cheerio' when I candled the good looking egg from above...I guess you can't count Eggs out. I have named the egg 'Skillet' because I think its cute.... I probably shouldn't get too attached huh...? I'm excited/worried, hopefully because Bacon is new to this breeding thing she won't produce many more viable eggs.

Also there's no way Bacon could be pregnant from another male, I got these two when they were about 6 months old (they turned 1 year old around May 19th)...

Leave a comment:

• Pogaf
    replied
    That actually looks like a female to me. Females can have a little bump too, but a male's is very obvious. Plus, he/she/it is pretty fat- most boys (though not all) are slimmer than their female counterparts. It looks full-grown too. Males, even late bloomers, will usually develop their bulge by 20 grams.

Here's a picture of my boy Canute. You can see his "bulge" pretty well:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	103_3610a.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1056751

Leave a comment:

• hooray
    replied
    Also, is Eggs considered some type of lavender/yellow flame? I think I read about that type once. I like the first pic of 'him' here, 'he' either looks like he's offended or awkwardly smiling for an awkward picture of his private bits.

Leave a comment:

• hooray
    replied
    Thanks for your reply, I've attached a few pictures of my other gecko, Eggs... I think there's a significant bulge.. Any input?

Name:	IMG_0686.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1056747

Name:	IMG_0685.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1056748

Name:	IMG_0687.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1056749

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1056750

I kind attempted candling the eggs, the dented one looked yellow throughout, the white one looked different but I don't know if what I saw was the 'cheerio', I'm going to try again later---where should the embryo be attached when the egg is the way it was laid?

Leave a comment:

• Spyral
    replied
    Do you have a picture of the other, the male? It's possible you have two females, but it's good to separate them regardless. Females can lay "virgin" eggs without mating, and a male is usually very easy to sex - bulge right underneath the base of the tail.

Yes, the female can easily go off feed when moved into a new environment.

Sounds like you are doing everything right! Good luck, and hopefully you just have 2 females, one of which is laying duds.

Leave a comment:

• hooray
    started a topic Unexpected Eggs...oops

Unexpected Eggs...oops

Hi all,

I posted here a bit ago about my new crested geckos, I was planning on separating them because I wasn't able to sex them right away... well it turns out that I did have a male and a female because on June 1st I found one dented egg. I went to work freaking out and cruised craigslist for a second tank, ended up getting a hex fish tank ~20 gal for the low price of $30. I went and got it on my lunch break and took it home and scrubbed it out. I wanted more time to sanitize it so I didn't move the girl in yet, but I looked in on them on my way out and found another egg! Apparently laid sometime between when I left for work and when I came home at around 2. The funny thing is that I use paper towel as substrate--I'm so lucky that my female decided that was good enough for her! I now have her in the new tank with eco earth in a laybox, I'm keeping her in my bedroom because it tends to be cooler than the living room. Both tanks seem to hover around 70-75 degrees, and ~60% humidity.

I'm currently keeping the eggs in a tupperware with damp eco earth, I hope to switch to vermiculite before they hatch (if they hatch). The 2nd egg I found looks really good, nice white color and no dents (in the photo it looks like it might be dented but that's just a shadow) The 1st egg is dented on 2 sides and is yellowish, I'm not sure if this is because it was left out in the tank all night with no moisture or if it's just infertile... I'm not quite sure what to do with these... I'm going to try to hatch them but we'll see how that goes. Also, as far as what to do with the hatchlings goes the breeder I got these two from said he would help me sell the offspring, he has a reptile shop... Maybe I can pawn off a few on friends we'll see.. The boyfriend isn't too keen on me starting a breeding hobby, and I'm not either. Not to mention the fact that while both of my geckos are attractive they're not necessarily the best to be using for breeders...

I'm a bit concerned for my female, Bacon. She hasn't been moving around too much, and that may just be because I've been up late for the past two nights working on a presentation for work and she doesn't like the light from my desk. I have CGD in the cage with her but she hasn't touched it...it may be because of the new environment?? I also got some crickets and I dusted them with calcium powder, I think I saw her eat one, but not many more than that... She seems pretty thin, I don't have a gram scale to weigh her either... Any advice as to how I should go about rehabilitating her?

Sorry for the long post,

Thanks for reading

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1077300Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1077299Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg