X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyla
    replied
    And thats why Im here looking for advice

So heres hoping that I can get everything balanced out again.

Leave a comment:

• Jaybee
    replied
    Originally posted by Skyla View Post
    I never see them fighting, ever. The only scuffling in the tank is mating and I always check whenever I hear anything.
    Just keep in mind, we don't know how all of their communications happen; biting may not be the only way they "fight." Even just sitting on/near another gecko could be enough of an intimidation factor to make a gecko feel like it's unsafe. Unless you are home 24/7 you are also not seeing everything they do.

We can only make guesses based on our own experience, but there is still of course a chance that the 2 males are just not getting along now with a new addition to the group. It may not "just" be a breeding season thing.

I've had females that lived together for most of their lives completely and suddenly turn on the other; we don't know what sets them off, but they may not always get along, even if they were raised together.

Leave a comment:

• Skyla
    replied
    Spyral and Jaybee, thanks so much for the informative posts. Im going to put a divider in the second tank for the boys so I can closely monitor each. I dont have a scale - I will be purchasing one very soon since my eggs should be hatching any day now and with this weight loss thing going on, all the more reason to pick one up. Either way, I dont know exactly what the loss is but its enough that Ive noticed. They arent emaciated by any means but theyre not theyre regular chunky selves. What you guys suggest makes the most sense. I never see them fighting, ever. The only scuffling in the tank is mating and I always check whenever I hear anything. So I think youre spot on.

Like I said before, I dont have a problem separating but I want to know whats going on so I know to do the right thing. Separating into pairs wouldnt do a thing to improve the situation but this just might.

Leave a comment:

• Spyral
    replied
    Some people have housed males together but the addition of a new female can often cause them to become territorial. It's always a gamble when you house males together, especially if there is the potential for them to breed and they feel compelled to fight for mates.

Keep in mind there are complex behaviors that we don't see that can be stressing them out. However, I think the new female may have sparked a breeding interest, which is notorious for making males go off food and lose weight. That's one of the reasons to separate pairs.

How often do you feed CGD compared to how often you feed bugs? They are notorious for holding out for bugs and ignoring their CGD if you let them. Easiest way to get them back to eating CGD is to not offer bugs for a couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Jaybee
    replied
    Males housed with females can lose weight during the warmer months - they stop thinking of food so much and think more of mating.

If you are concerned with the weight loss (you didn't specify how much weight is being lost), you do need to separate the males out. I would put each one in its own quarantine enclosure to make sure they're each eating and pooping.

Leave a comment:

• Skyla
    replied
    I feed CGD. I picked up a new batch of the stuff and I know they have a tendency to change their formula.

Leave a comment:

• Brian(:
    replied
    Just to clear something up, you are using CGD right? It sounds to me that you need to separate any geckos you have together.

Leave a comment:

• Skyla
    replied
    But thats the thing. It used to be two boys and one girl. I origionally purchased the one male thinking she was a female. I got him from a breeder from an expo and oops, she turned out to be a he. Theyve all been living together since. Maybe its the addition of another female throwing things. Im currently cleaning up an old tank to separate them.

Leave a comment:

• limegreenartist
    replied
    having two males and their two females together means you know have no idea who the offspring are due to retained sperm. its very possible that the females have been with both males. And they males are probably fighting now that there are females. they may not before but boys can totally loose their cool over girls.

Leave a comment:

• Skyla
    replied
    If they have to be separated I will certainly do it but Im concerned it may be something else seeing as this is a relatively new issue when they have lived together for years.

Leave a comment:

• Skyla
    replied
    Both males are losing weight and they have lived in the same tank for years with no issue. They were separated for about a month with no change. They arent emaciated or anything, just thinner than they used to be. It just occurred to me that I used to hand feed them meal worms and since stopped. I started that up again today. Maybe I just ruined them by hand feeding and its a coincidence that only the males are losing?

Leave a comment:

• thebluejackal
    replied
    Get another tank and move one of the pairs to it or just separate out one of the males. Males will fight with each other, even if you're not seeing it. Even the presence of the other one can be daunting.

Leave a comment:

• MACHI_vallism
    replied
    Do you have two males on the same tank? If so you should separate them because they will fight and that would probably explain why one is losing weight.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy_Metal_Crestie
    replied
    One of the males is most likely bullying the other... I think this explains the weight loss. You should definitely try separating them and have only one couple in the tank.

Leave a comment:

• Skyla
    started a topic Losing weight! Please help!

Losing weight! Please help!

Ok...so it could be the new CGD I picked up (changed formula?), or the new housing, or the new addition...Im just at a loss here.

So my setup is a large exoterra tank - 18x18x24 with two males and two females. At first I had the pairs separated for breeding purposes but when I put them together I noticed that the pairs stuck together. Is this normal? So I just left them in the same tank and they seem to stick to their own little corners. Average temperatures are around 70 degrees. Sometimes its a bit higher and it usually drops to about 65 at night but no lower.

I noticed my older male getting a bit thin. I thought it was a fluke and just bought more crickets and started feeding more often. I normally feed every 3 days or so, so now I feed every other day. Then my younger male started to get thin. Both my females look big and healthy.

Any ideas?
Working...
X