4 facefulls of dirt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 facefulls of dirt!

okay so i was feeding my crestie in a small container and he only ate 1 cricket and ignored the other so i dropped him back in his cage and the cricket fell in to and he ran towards it and took a mouthfull of sphagnum peat moss i rand to go get some tweezers to try and pull out the dirt sticking out and he attacked the tweezers and then swallowed he has done this before about 2 months ago and was just fine so i got another cricket and held it above him and he jumped and got it so i figured he liked eating in his cage better and i got another cricket and it fell and he got like a little more dirt i think and this happened 2-3 times and im scared right now i have no extra containers except a small kritter keeper the smallest kind and my gecko is about 24 grams what should i do and like i said he has done this before but only one mouthfull this time was a crap load

... punctuation is your friend...

At this point IDK that there's much you can do except keep an eye on him, make sure he stays hydrated, and you might try some organic prune babyfood if he hasn't pooped within 24 hours...

Comment

haha sorry its a school night and it was alot to type IMO should i put him in the small kritter keeper ???

Comment

Mine did this and I didn't know he was suffocating and i found him just in time. I had to pry his mouth open and flush his mouth he hated it but i got what I could with getting water or dirt down his throat. I put back in and cranked the humidy up, I misted him every 4 hours for a day or so he's fine now but it was a scare
        4.3.7 Crested Gecko
        0.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko

Facebook
        Rhacs Unlimited

Comment

Originally posted by CrestieAz View Post
          Mine did this and I didn't know he was suffocating and i found him just in time. I had to pry his mouth open and flush his mouth he hated it but i got what I could with getting water or dirt down his throat. I put back in and cranked the humidy up, I misted him every 4 hours for a day or so he's fine now but it was a scare
          was it more then one mouthfull like mine?

Comment

I don't know I didn't see it happen, just noticed he wasn't moving around so I picked him up and then Eco earth in his mouth
            4.3.7 Crested Gecko
            0.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko

Facebook
            Rhacs Unlimited

Comment

This happened to me also. I flushed his mouth because he was suffocating. I thought everything was ok but then a couple of weeks later he did it again but I didn't get to save him. I rinsed out the dirt I put him in a bath but I guess he had impacted himself and didn't recover. I truly suggest keeping him on paper towel. Just peace of mind you never really know if he'll go back to eating dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by blo0 View Post
                This happened to me also. I flushed his mouth because he was suffocating. I thought everything was ok but then a couple of weeks later he did it again but I didn't get to save him. I rinsed out the dirt I put him in a bath but I guess he had impacted himself and didn't recover. I truly suggest keeping him on paper towel. Just peace of mind you never really know if he'll go back to eating dirt.
                well mine only ate it cause an accident the cricket moves right when he bites and he get dirt instead mine wasnt choking he just swallowed it i made some food for him today and he ate some normally..would he eat even if he is impacted? what are signs of impaction cause he is eating

Comment

Don't feed crickets in the enclosure unless you keep your geckos on paper towels.

Keeps things like this from happening.
                  3.4.5 Crested Geckos, 0.1 Nuu Ana Leachie, 3.5.1 Cats, 1.3 Dogs, 2.0 Rats, 0.1 Mildly Tolerant Partner

Comment

Working...
                  X