Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CGD Drying out really fast?

Hey everyone-

I live in Florida, I don't really have much of a humidity issue, ever.

But my CGD dries out so fast. Starts out super watery as it should(2 parts water to 1 part CGD, usually 1/2 tsp CGD to 1 tsp water(they're all babies)), but just about overnight its caked up and totally dry, inedible.

Is this because of the small quantity i'm offering? or what? it's really strange, the humidity hangs around 70-80% but the food dries really fast.
    Last edited by stevenavm; 05-27-2012, 07:20 AM.

CGD

Yes it is likely because you are offerring smaller portions for babies. I had the same problem...until I tried putting the CGD on the concave surface of a plastic checker...yes from a game of Checkers...I put the checker inside the dish...it's much easier to see how much has been eaten and the CGD doesn't spread out so thin, so it doesn't dry so fast. You can mist it lightly if needed, but I haven't had any issues since I started doing this.
    Also..I change my babies' CGD daily.
    Good luck!
    MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
    I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
    Let's just say my house is a zoo)

Comment

Do you prepare a batch beforehand and store it? Seems kind of insane to prepare a teaspoon and a half of diet every day haha but if I have to, no big

Comment

Since I have 2 Cresties and a Garg, I prepare a small serving cup and divide it between them. My Garg is itty bitty..so she just gets a dime sized portion of it.
        I do have a plastic picnic bottle meant for Ketchup that I am thinking about using so that I can prepare in larger quantities...but I would probably still not make it in huge batches until my kiddos get bigger. I only have ONE adult.
        MyRhacdiction

Comment

I use the 5 oz plastic cups from the Pangea store.
          MyRhacdiction

Comment

Originally posted by stevenavm View Post
            Do you prepare a batch beforehand and store it? Seems kind of insane to prepare a teaspoon and a half of diet every day haha but if I have to, no big
            Yup I use a salad dressing size tupperware container and mix about a weeks worth. If it separates in the fridge I just shake it back up. Works great.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I'm also mixing up a small batch at a time (1/2tsp) and put it in a water-bottle cap which i then put in a larger dish. It doesn't dry out so fast that way. I've got some cups coming from Pangea though.

Comment

Thank you for all of the input on this topic! I was getting frustrated with the consistency of my CGD drying out so quickly, too. Makes sense that if we give it less space to spread out then the consistency should stay good. I think I may try mixing up a bunch for the week and keeping refrigerated so I can just easily spoon out as necessary. Again, excellent advice!

Comment

Working...
                X