Can cresties see red?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can cresties see red?

Ok so ive had my two cresties for about 3 weeks now and love to watch them move around at night, its hard to see them though because it is pitch black. Can they see red if I buy a small red light for the enclousure? what do you guys use if anything? thanks!
    Crested Geckos 1.2.1.2 Flash.Echo,KoKo.Excalibur
    rhacodactylus leachianus 0.0.1 Tiki

We have used a red lens on a flashlight to peek in on them or we leave a light on in a room nearby which doesn't seem to bother them too much. They tend to go about their business when night hits, regardless of the amount of light in the room. I agree that it's super fun to spy on them though! Hope you find a happy medium so that they still stay active and you can watch their silly antics!

Comment

I have mine with a bit of purple at night, and my freaky male gecko is very attracted to it!

Comment

I have a red party light that I use to watch mine some nights but, I don't use it very often. Once it hits about 9pm both of my geckos are out and about as they could really care less about lights or anything else going on in the room. When I do use it though their eye seem to remain completely dialted with the red light as if it was completely dark so, I am assuming that it bothers them very little if any at all.

Comment

I got a moonlight made for fish tanks, its is a blueish tint to mimic the moon, they seem to move around just fine and i position it over the food bowl so i can watch them eat at night!
          4.3.7 Crested Gecko
          0.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko

Facebook
          Rhacs Unlimited

Comment

I think they can see it. It's less obtrusive than turning on lamps, but I think it can interrupt their routine if left on constantly. It's really hard to say what animals can see in the color spectrum. I've seen my geckos respond to the red light but it doesn't freeze them in their tracks like a normal, white light.

Dilation of the eye is governed by the pupillary light reflex, which is separate from color vision. Human eyes remain dilated in red light as well. Red light is a shorter wavelength than other colors of light, which is probably the reasoning for the use of red bulbs on reptiles. The dilation response uses "rods" in the eyes more than they do the "cones" which are responsible for color vision. So if the animal has cone receptors, they'll need to have the right types (those for red, blue, green, etc) in order to see the color. I would assume that fruit-eating geckos like Rhacs would be drawn towards reds which would indicate ripe fruit. Other fruit/veggie-eating reptiles like iguanas and beardies also seem to notice the red light.
            Specializing in Crested Geckos
            Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
            Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
            Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

I believe as long as the light does not cause the pupil of the eye to constrict "miosis" then the light should not interfere with their nocturnal behavior. Red lights have been used with several species of nocturnal animals for viewing them with much success over the past few decades (bats, sugar gliders, geckos, etc.)

It is believed that the big difference between diurnal (daytime animal's eyes) and nocturnal eyes is how the nocturnal eyes have adapted to seeing in the dark. I did a study on this in school...and found that nocturnal eyes evolved to become very efficient in picking up light, so their eyes are composed mainly of rods and lack or have very few cones. While diurnal eyes have less rods but more cones. When its dark, or there's very little light, its almost impossible to see colours clearly. However it is much easier to tell the difference between black and white isn't it? Makes sense if you need white light to see color.

It is for this reason that nocturnal animals have evolved an eye that has given up its ability to see colour, and in exchange has gained super effecient vision in the dark. Might explain why an iguana would get distrubed by the red light at night, but not a nocturnal animal.
              Jack Williford (Crested Gecko Lab)
              www.crestedgeckolab.com
              17.29.3 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus (Crested Gecko)
              1.0 Boa constrictor imperator (Red Tail Boa)
              0.1.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua
              1.4.0 rhacodactylus auriculatus (Gargoyle Gecko)

Comment

they can definitely see red. A friend of mine pointed his laser pointer in the tank one night after tormenting my dog. The geckos tried to eat it.

Comment

Hey have to be able to see the red, cause their pupils dialate from the red light.
                  4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
                  3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
                  1.1.0 Gekko gecko
                  2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

Working...
                  X