Woah! Eggs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woah! Eggs!

So yesterday afternoon I was renovating my 20L and while moving the soil around I discovered two eggs!!! One shows all the signs of being healthy. Slightly discolored from the coco husk but firm, not smelling funny or looking just odd. The other looked well until I looked this afternoon. It was sunken in on three sides. I may have just been a bit excited when I found them . . . Oh well!

the incubator as it stands now. Advice is welcome.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0526121802.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1077148

The egg!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0526121803.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1077149

I have read Jaybee's page up down and sideways so I'm going in well informed , but I still welcome tips, tricks and anything that seems relevant!
    Rhacodactylus ciliatus

Congrats on the egg!

Do you just have it in gravel? You might want to look into getting some incubation medium to hold the moisture. If the container doesn't hold humidity, the egg may sink it like the other one did.
    Crested Geckos: I lost count :| 60-some last time I checked | Gargoyles: 1.1 | Leachianus: 1.1.1
    Chahoua: 1.0 | Sarasinorum: 0.1 | Leopard Geckos: 0.2 | Robert Mertens' Day Gecko: 1.1
    Russian Dwarf Hamster: 0.1 | BUNNEHS: 0.2
    [-| iHerp |-]

Comment

I use a combo of vermiculite and eco-earth in mine. I have a total of 6 six cooking away, I know 1 won't hatch but the other five are doing well. 2 are due within the next 7 days (going for the average of 74 days)
      "May luck and happiness follow you and may you be shielded from misfortune." -Brisingr, book 3 of the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini

1.4.6.1 Crested Geckos, 2.1 Dogs, 1.1 Cats, 2.1 Lovebirds, 1.0.1 Other Reptiles

Comment

The container a gladware with small holes in the lid inside a lidded foam cooler to help protect from shifting temps, the avg. is in the good range, I'm pretty sure that should hold some moisture, what kind of humidity do you recommend?
        What ratio of vermiculite : eco earth? roughly, I understand it's an art as well as a science
        Rhacodactylus ciliatus

Comment

My mix is 50/50. I have mine at room temp and I spray the substrate NOT DIRECTLY ON THE EGG(S) about once a week. There is a product called SuperHatch (avail at the store) that dries out to let you know when to mist. I didn't get any until after the fact. When all my eggs have hatched, I do plan on replacing the substrate with Super Hatch.
          "May luck and happiness follow you and may you be shielded from misfortune." -Brisingr, book 3 of the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini

1.4.6.1 Crested Geckos, 2.1 Dogs, 1.1 Cats, 2.1 Lovebirds, 1.0.1 Other Reptiles

Comment

You may be best without holes in your incubator- it keeps the humidity constant

Superhatch is really nice! I got some right before my eggs were laid and it really does have a significant color change when it begins to dry.
            Crested Geckos: I lost count :| 60-some last time I checked | Gargoyles: 1.1 | Leachianus: 1.1.1
            Chahoua: 1.0 | Sarasinorum: 0.1 | Leopard Geckos: 0.2 | Robert Mertens' Day Gecko: 1.1
            Russian Dwarf Hamster: 0.1 | BUNNEHS: 0.2
            [-| iHerp |-]

Comment

Thanks all! I'm sure I'll be posting again begging for advice about something or other
              Rhacodactylus ciliatus

Comment

Working...
              X