Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is the best time to hold/handle cresties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is the best time to hold/handle cresties?

I understand that some people say handling cresties induces stress, but all of my gecks seem to actually enjoy being handled. My question, however, is when is the best time to handle them? Hubby says that since they are nocturnal they shouldn't be out of the terrarium until nighttime. My guys are pretty active throughout a good bit of the day, but obviously most active at night. Does anyone have suggestions about when they prefer to handle their critters?

At my house it all depends on the Crestie. I have a couple that are great out any time of the day or night, they seem to enjoy being out & don't seem to get stressed while they are being handled. At the same time I have 2 juvi's that are convinced that I want to eat them & seem terrified the entire time they are out of their vivs, for them I've found that having them out during the day is better because they aren't as nutso & while they aren't happy about being out, they are easier to handle safely, at night they seem more high strung & try to fling themselves away willy-nilly, are more focused on escape & don't wait to see what horrible 'torture' I'm planning for them before spazzing out like they do during the day. For the rest of my Cresties, it's really just when I notice them up & about. I say to go with your gut on what you think is the best& easiest on both your Crestie & you.
    4.1 Dogs: Baringer, Riesling, Trunks, Tebow & Dante 1.0 Sulcata: Cavin 1.1 KSB: Mordecei & P.B. 2.2.6 Gargoyles: Venture, Triana, LSP, Nyx, 21 & 24 0.2 Leopard Geckos: Videl & Eclipse 1. 0AFT: Rigby 7.7.19 Cresties: Ghost, Drayven, Morzan, Jelly, Esme, Peach, Marcelene, Ino, Chi, Haven, Tsunade, Senju, Cinna, Tribute, Jiraya, Iruka, Kurama, Seelie, Kushina, Tada & Iyrony 1.0 Short Tailed Opossum: Daubie

Comment

I have found that once it's nighttime my crestie hates being handled. He's more jumpy and tends to make his leaps of faith. Whereas if I take him out during the day when he's sleepy he is a bit calmer and less jumpy.

0.1.0 Crested Gecko, Kiwi
      0.1 Boston Terrier, Meko
      3.0 DSH cats, Bubba, Tony and Jake
      2.0 Guinea pigs, George and Stu
      and many fish

Comment

i say - handle 'em when you want to - i'm not convinced they ever "like it" - but tolerate it

Comment

All very good points and much appreciated input! I guess they may not "like it" as you say, robeyeshua, but I certainly do! I think they have all gotten pretty used to us, but I have definitely noticed they like jumping around a lot at night when we get them out, whereas if we happen to clean a cage or whatever and get them out during the day they're much more chill. Thanks for responding everybody!

Comment

I have a few geckos that I'm sure prefer to be out at night. When they wake, they usually migrate to their feeding dishes in their cages, eat a bit then stare at me through their cage doors until I take each out individually. I have a large 4ft x 4ft coffee table that they sit on in the evening. They love to explore the table and it's contents. I can also sit still with a gecko on my knee or shoulder for 20 minutes or more without any attempt at escape. I agree that juveniles are much, much jumpier than adults. I've also discovered my males tend to want to "discover" the room more than the females.
            Be the change you want to see in the world. -M Ghandi

4.4.25.10 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus

http://www.teeny-dragons.com/

Comment

My possible male, Chili, is the adventurer of the group. He reminds me of a tree frog the way he hops around on everything! He also has no tail (happened before I got him) so it makes him look even more frog-like lol. I love hearing stories of people getting out their gecks and watching them explore like I do. I sometimes feel a little silly how excited I get over watching them roam around!

Comment

My new baby Peanut really likes coming out He calmly explores and climbs all over me and makes nests in my hair, and will stay calm and collected for hours and just slowly climb and walk all over my or the couch. He doesn't protest or try to get away when I take him out, he's even jumped onto my arm a couple times.
                He's usually alot better after 8 PM, I've taken him out a couple times right after dinner and once he didn't want to climb, he fell asleep on me (obviously still sleepy) and the second time he kept hopping back into the tank when I tried to take him out, so I didn't force him.

Comment

Awww, another Peanut! I named my smallest new addition (that came in a group of 3) Peanut. She's not the great adventurer your Peanut is, but still enjoys being out and about. I love "playing" with them and my son even made a lego playground for them to roam around on- complete with a ramp to climb on, a suspended bridge, and the works! Thanks for sharing your story.

Comment

It depends they are all different. Some don't mind ever being handled others just down right don't like it. It is easier to handle them during they day though. At night they are awake and more prone to moving quickly.
                    Thank You! -
                    I have a lot of geckos......... I stopped counting.
                    http://www.geckodome.com

Comment

Working...
                    X