Floyd has stuck shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd has stuck shed

hi, a few days ago Floyd started to shed but only seemed to manage to get her head and two front feet!
    She is a year old and has never done this before, i haven't changed anything in her tank and she's jumping and moving around normally.
    I think it must have been a change in humidity with the sudden warmer weather although i spray the tank regularly and she has a water dish.

After a couple of baths/saunas and using a cotton bud lightly on the shed i got the stuck shed off her main body but its still on her back legs and tail its been about 6 days as i gave her a chance to try and get it off herself.
    Here are a couple of pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0209.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1077146Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0215.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1077147

what should i do?
    thank you for any help

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me comments as well, but I have certainly heard that the shed can start to shrink back down for lack of a better term and can eventually become restrictive. It's a good sign that she has still been moving around normally and seems unphased by it, but I would still suggest trying to help her out with that last little bit. I know you don't ever want to overstress a gecko, but it's important to get the shed off. Like I said, hopefully a smarter gecko lover comes along to help out, but I would suggest another sauna, as humidity issues can sometimes lead to shed problems. Also check on the humidity in her terrarium to ensure that you're keeping good levels and give an extra misting throughout the day to help her even while she's in her home. Best of luck!

Comment

If you or a vet absolutely can't get it off, she might need to lose her tail one day. Try removing the shed with some tweezers with a small piece of foam on it or if you do not feel comftorable doing that then take her to a herp vet to do that. And have you kept her, her whole life or did you just buy her? Bc she looks like she's 3-4 months old, (no offense).
      Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Mniargekko Chahoua x1 (Java chip)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Comment

Yeah, you are going to need to get that off ASAP. It is starting to look quite constrictive. Cotton buds are fine, but I find that if I get a stuck piece of shed, giving a lukewarm sauna followed by just rubbing my finger on the skin works better. Fingerprint ridges seem to get a better grip on the skin. I don't recommend just removing the tail though, Extremecrestie...

Looking at the gecko's toes, it looks like your gecko has had other issues with shedding. A lot of the toepad seems to be missing... and it seems really small for a year+ old. You may need to make some adjustments to your husbandry.
        JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

Soaking her in a long (hour) sauna and using a wet cotton bud like you explained work great for me. You just have to keep her in the sauna for awhile and use the wet cotton bud in a twirling motion. Has she had she issues before? She looks like she's missing the tip to her toe on the front foot and that's usually a sign.
          Website www.rhactasticrhacs.com
          Facebook www.facebook.com/rhactasticrhac

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybee View Post
            Yeah, you are going to need to get that off ASAP. It is starting to look quite constrictive. Cotton buds are fine, but I find that if I get a stuck piece of shed, giving a lukewarm sauna followed by just rubbing my finger on the skin works better. Fingerprint ridges seem to get a better grip on the skin. I don't recommend just removing the tail though, Extremecrestie...

Looking at the gecko's toes, it looks like your gecko has had other issues with shedding. A lot of the toepad seems to be missing... and it seems really small for a year+ old. You may need to make some adjustments to your
            husbandry.
            No no, I meant if you absolutely can't get the shed off she may need to lose her tail. But I very highly recommend that being the very last resort.
            Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Comment

Her left toes are looking pretty harsh also

Rhombodera stalli x5

Comment

I have a pair of blunt-nosed tweezers that I use sometimes after a sauna to grab an edge of shed. Then I generally let them pull away on their own. If the skin is moist from the sauna, it should pull right off in big pieces. If it sticks- don't pull, just wait and try another sauna later.

I love watching them pull their toes out of the shed "gloves" - it's so cute!

Comment

I've found that sometimes a series of multiple saunas and drying outs can help the skin become easier to remove when it's a stuck body shed. When the skin is wet it's kinda elastic, and harder to pull off. So sauna, then dry off a bit, try to remove the skin, and repeat if it's still hard to pull off. For things like tail tips and toes I usually use a q-tip right after to remove shed, which seems to work.
                  Specializing in Crested Geckos
                  Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                  Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                  Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

I've had her since last may and she's always been really small - and was much smaller than her siblings. the other thing is all her other siblings have died (i know a few of the people who had them) do you think its bad genetics if that makes sense?
                    i feed her every day and i see her eat, i did think she looked small though is it something i'm doing wrong?
                    she's had minor stuck shed once before nothing like this thought (which is why i said she'd not done this before) but her toes have always been like that from when she was young. i'll keep giving her the saunas and try the tweezers!

thanks for all your replys

Comment

It's possible that there is a genetic issue, but not likely. It could be poor nutrition from the mother that hatched out weaker offspring, lacking in calcium and other critical nutrients. Slow growth isn't something to worry about unless you are feeding a poor diet, then she's not getting what her body needs to grow.

What are you feeding and how do you keep her? Enclosure size, temps, humidity, etc. That can help discover a husbandry issue that might be relevant to the other owners who have lost her siblings. Do you have other geckos?
                      Specializing in Crested Geckos
                      Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                      Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                      Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

she eats Komodo premium complete diet and has a 30x30x45cm tank is this ok? i keep her at room temperature and spray the tank once to twice a day.
                        & she is my only gecko.
                        I got this advice from reading up on the internet so assumed this set up was fine, do you think it is?

Also good news, i got it all off her tail!! just need to get it off her toe on her back left foot and get the shed off her right foot now
                        Last edited by rebecca.b; 05-26-2012, 04:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by rebecca.b View Post
                          she eats Komodo premium complete diet and has a 30x30x45cm tank is this ok? i keep her at room temperature and spray the tank once to twice a day.
                          & she is my only gecko.
                          I got this advice from reading up on the internet so assumed this set up was fine, do you think it is?

Also good news, i got it all off her tail!! just need to get it off her toe on her back left foot and get the shed off her right foot now
                          I haven't been able to locate the ingredients of Komodo diet online anywhere, which concerns me a bit. Can you list them off of the container you're using?

Appropriateness of size of tank would depend on the size of the gecko. That's about a 10 gallon tank, and if that gecko is as small as it looks from the pics (still has a "baby head" look about it, short stubby snout and bigger eyes) it might benefit from a smaller enclosure for a while. Again, hard to tell without a sense of scale/weight of the gecko.
                          JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

yeah sure i'll list them

ingredients:
                            Vitamin A, C, D3 and E, Spirulina,
                            Kelp, pure marigold, fruit avour,
                            probiotic bacteria, yucca extract,
                            natural antioxidants, phosphorus, ne
                            grade calcium carbonate, cranberry
                            & carrot powder, rosehip, yeast,
                            micronized wheat, biofac, dextrose,
                            calcium caseinate, alfalfa meal, wheat our.

and i can put her back into a slightly smaller enclosure until she grows a bit more at the moment she's about the length of my index finger including her tail.

Comment

Originally posted by rebecca.b View Post
                              yeah sure i'll list them

ingredients:
                              Vitamin A, C, D3 and E, Spirulina,
                              Kelp, pure marigold, fruit avour,
                              probiotic bacteria, yucca extract,
                              natural antioxidants, phosphorus, ne
                              grade calcium carbonate, cranberry
                              & carrot powder, rosehip, yeast,

micronized wheat, biofac, dextrose,
                              calcium caseinate, alfalfa meal, wheat our.

and i can put her back into a slightly smaller enclosure until she grows a bit more at the moment she's about the length of my index finger including her tail.

Try repashy or clarks with crix once a week. I can't see anything wrong with the ingrediants. But try switching, and maybe a smaller enclosure.

Rhombodera stalli x5

Comment

Working...
                              X