New To Crested Geckos - Housing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To Crested Geckos - Housing Question

Hello All! I recently (2 weeks ago) bought 2 baby crested geckos (now 6 weeks old) for my son. He originally wanted a leopard gecko but, I found these little guys and instantly fell in love. My intention was to only buy one but, when I got to the persons house these 2 were curled up together sleeping and I just didn't have the heart to seperate them. Anyway, right now I have them housed together in a 12x12x12 exo-terra tank. I know I will have to seperate them at some point but, at what point would that be?

Also, the person I got them from was feeding them peach baby food and pin head crickets however, I am only using Repahy's CGD. I thought they may have a problem switching over but, to my surprise they are both eating very, very well. Should I be concerned about overeating? I have not bought a scale yet to monitor their growth but, will be within the next few days.

Any advice you can give to a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

I have already learned soooo much from this forum and can't wait to learn more in order to give my little cresties the best possible care!!!

Don't be worried about them overeating the CGD. However, only give crickets (dusted with calcium powder) about once per week. Crickets should really be given as a treat/supplement, and not as a staple of their diet. You're lucky they have taken to the CGD so well after being fed baby food. I've heard many stories of people having trouble making the conversion.
    1.1.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1.0 Boxador (1/2 Boxer-1/2 Black Lab)
    0.1.0 Girlfriend who likes my geckos but doesn't understand the obsession.

Comment

I would recommend seperating them before they reach 10 grams for sure but sooner would be better. I wouldnt do it immediately though because if you keep changing their living quarters they could become stressed. After they have settled in to their new home (3-4 weeks) you could/should seperate them.

Have fun with your new geckos
      Aum

Comment

If you gave some information on the furnishings of the Exo Terra setup you have them in, we could give some more informed commentary. Some pictures could be helpful as well.
        1.1.4 Crested Geckos
        0.1.0 Boxador (1/2 Boxer-1/2 Black Lab)
        0.1.0 Girlfriend who likes my geckos but doesn't understand the obsession.

Comment

It would probably be beneficial to separate them early on because one may grow faster than the other, proving to be more aggressive over the food (I had this issue myself - started with a 4.1g and 4.3g in the same tank, the 4.3g grew to 7.1g and wouldn't allow the smaller one to eat), they could mistake tails and toes for crickets and bite them, or mate prematurely and cause illness or death if they prove to be of opposite sexes.
          My collection

Comment

I would seperate them soon. Even 1gr difference can cause bullying. Then, later on, if they turn out to be 2 females, or 1 male/1female (& if you are ok with breeding) you can put them back together. Also, no you should not be concerned with over eating, especially with hatchlings. Reptiles, unlike humans, only eat what they need. Sometimes adults can over eat a bit & become chubby or fat, which is unhealthy, but for now you have nothing to worry about. They can however over eat on crickets, as in eat more than they can fit & choke &/or die. So only feed 4-5 small crickets at a time. Just make sure the crickets in length, are no bigger than the widtch of the cresties head. That will ensure no choking. They like crickets for the hunt more than the actually taste, which is why they may over eat on them. Also, I suggest dusting them & gutloading them, preferably with cgd. I take the left over cgd from all my cresties & put it in with the crickets for a day then feed them to my cresties the next day. Good luck with your new cresties! Sounds like they are going to have a very fun & loving home in your care

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies! This is exactly why I came here...I was told that they would be ok for several months before needing to seperate them. I certainly do not want one of these little ones getting bullied and possbily getting sick, let alone loosing a limb due to a totally avoidable situation. I will be seperating them most likely next weekend. I will be sure to watch closely in the case I need to seperate them sooner.
              Since they are doing so well on the CGD I think I will give them some crickets for a treat as well.

Comment

The furnishings...well, it is a pretty simple setup. I am using paper towels as a substrate, I have 2 hides, 2 hanging vines that are well big enought to hide in (one in the back left corner and one in the front right corner),bend-a-vine for climbing, a fake decorative plant and 2 food dishes one on each side of the tank. I don't have a water dish as I have to mist pretty well in the AM and PM (I didn't realize how dry my house was until now). I think they have enough to feel secure and safe without being overcrowded. I will take some pics and post them as soon as I can.

Comment

Sounds awesome! If I were you though, I would put at least a small water dish in there, just likes bottle cap since they are so small. Im sure they'll be fine without it, but its good to have incase you forget or don't get a chance to mist or if they get thirsty in between mistings. Also, some cresties, like one of my females actually like drinking from the water dish

Comment

Working...
                  X