Bleh! Bleach!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleh! Bleach!

I bleached everything out last night (with a mild solution) and THOUGHT I had everything rinsed well as I couldn't smell it anymore.

Turns out my nose was just stuffy and the gecko closet smelled mildly of bleach when I went in there this morning.

Now everyone gets to live in deli cups at the top of the bedroom closet until I can rinse everything out AGAIN after work today and try using some dechlorinator to break it down.

-.o

Everyone was stuck to the front screen, being like, THIS AIN'T RIGHT.

I feel terrible right now. XD
    3.4.5 Crested Geckos, 0.1 Nuu Ana Leachie, 3.5.1 Cats, 1.3 Dogs, 2.0 Rats, 0.1 Mildly Tolerant Partner

Would vinegar and water work? I think the acid in white vinegar will be a good rinse after bleach. I use one cup of vinegar in a quart of water and spray all cages, and dip all the plastic plants for a minute or two. Then rinse with distilled water. (this is just what I do, for suggestions)
    Be the change you want to see in the world. -M Ghandi

4.4.25.10 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus

http://www.teeny-dragons.com/

Comment

May try that!

This was a once-every-few-months bleaching . . . I normally clean with Chlorhexadine.
      3.4.5 Crested Geckos, 0.1 Nuu Ana Leachie, 3.5.1 Cats, 1.3 Dogs, 2.0 Rats, 0.1 Mildly Tolerant Partner

Comment

Unless you're dealing with, say, anthrax contamination, don't use vinegar after bleach unless you are VERY sure that you have rinsed the bleach away. If you've rinsed away the smell then there's no real need for the vinegar, which is good for clearing up odors.

Mixing bleach with acids (vinegar, lemon juice, etc) is just as dangerous as mixing it with bases (ammonia) as they both free the chlorine from the sodium hypochlorite of household bleach. The residue left behind after rinsing off the bleach probably wouldn't be harmful if you can't smell it anymore, but I wouldn't recommend taking a risk with the vinegar rinse.
        Specializing in Crested Geckos
        Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
        Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
        Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Thank you; didn't really think of that as I don't normally use it.

Comment

yes viniger is a good idea. But if i were you i would soak the cages out in SCOLDING HOT water for a bit. that should help rinse them out good & help to kill any bad chemicals. then maybe clean with viniger then rinse again your cresties may hate you for a few days, but at least they wont get sick & die or bleach poisoning!

Comment

When I clean my baby's tanks, I use either a water and vinegar solution or lemon halves and water. I feel it is safer all around for the critters.
              Rhacodactylus ciliatus 7.4.4
              Rhacodactylus auriculatus 0.0.2
              Chamaeleo calyptratus 1.0.0
              Gekko vittatus 1.0.0
              Eublepharis macularius 0.0.1
              iHerp

Comment

I think for general cleaning vinegar/lemon juice is fine to remove debris and make things smell good, but if you have a sick animal you'll want something strong like bleach, chlorhexidine (great stuff, very safe), amonia, etc. to kill germs.

Comment

The main reason I bleached everything is that I did have a sick animal (who unfortunately passed) and received a new sexy gecklet today.

I soaked and rinsed everything again . . . and let the plants soak in water with dechlorinator in it (Seachem Prime) for several minutes. I then rinsed them, let them dry a bit, and soaked them all again for several more minutes with dechlorinator once again. And then! Rinsed again and let dry thoroughly.

There's still a VERY slight smell of chlorine . . . reminds me of a dry swimsuit, just even MORE faint. I even used a 1 part bleach, 9 parts water solution . . . I don't know.

Comment

Could the de-chlorinator be the source of the smell? Plastic also has a similar odor.

Comment

It might be the sterilite containers and me being a spazz. >.>

The dechlorinator smells like sulphur, so I don't think that's it. It's probably just the plastic.

Comment

You sure it's not the Prime?

Prime stinks LOL

Comment

Vinegar and water should work. I prefer to use a very diluted chlorhexidine, no smell and does a very good job sanitizing enclosures while being very safe (used in vet clinics to clean wounds and surgical equipment). A jug will last you for a year or two. Nolvasan is the name brand but will cost you $60 a jug, go for a generic brand online for less than $20 shipped.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=SPM256732664
                          Jack Williford (Crested Gecko Lab)
                          www.crestedgeckolab.com
                          17.29.3 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus (Crested Gecko)
                          1.0 Boa constrictor imperator (Red Tail Boa)
                          0.1.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua
                          1.4.0 rhacodactylus auriculatus (Gargoyle Gecko)

Comment

I would use vinegar and water. You CAN use more vinegar if there has been sickness or contamination...Vinegar is a GREAT disinfectant!
                            MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
                            I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
                            Let's just say my house is a zoo)

Comment

Vinegar is great for general household surface cleaning and especially food prep against Salmonella. It can kill some food-borne bacteria, some mold, virus, and has been tested on some parasites. To achieve maximum efficacy, it should stay in contact for a long time - like an hour. However, this can make it impractical and it really isn't the BEST at disinfecting. Even bleach and chlorhexidine recommend 5-20 minute contact time for maximum germ killing. Something to think about when you're trying to sanitize!

Sources:
                              http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1785201/
                              http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9209127
                              http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22476008
                              http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18986724

Comment

Working...
                              X