Is there...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there...?

Is there a set limit on when baby cresties should be sold, like in Petco and Petsmart? I went to one today to raid their non-stock reptile items and saw a baby that I could swear wasn't even 3g and I could plainly see the size of the little guy and it could just sit and just barely (from nose to tail tip) cover my pinkie with a few cm's onto the hand, they had some weird orange pink wet food in the habitat with it.

I'm just worried about this little gecko and want to speak up to them about this baby, but I wanted to hear what y'all thought about this... I would've gladly taken the little guy home, because it looked so scared in the big tank but I didn't have the funds to buy it. I plan on going back tomorrow and asking them about that orange pink food stuff, I couldn't today because I was with a friend and she didn't want to hang around.. yay for being the driver -.-;

Edit: I made a comment later on in this thread. I got the answer I needed, and the petstore couldn't answer about the food they were giving. Anywho, thank you everyone for your comments.
    Last edited by Jax; 05-03-2012, 11:41 AM.
    FaceBook Page
    Lots of Crested Geckos and Corn Snakes :: 1.0 Western HogNose :: 2.1 - Kenyan Sand Boa :: 1.0 - Cat :: 0.1 - Corgi :: 0.1 - Leopard Geckos

Babies...

Unfortunately, most pet stores...at least where I'm at will sell them very young...I saw one a few weeks ago that was about the size you are talking about They had the poor thing in an enclosure that was TOO hot...and the poor thing was crammed into a corner trying to get away from the stupid light. I complained at the Corporate level...and I did get a response. I have been there several times since for Crix...and the changes WERE made and have not reverted...but trust me I am WATCHING.
    I refuse to purchase my pets from pet stores...I know WAY too much about what kind of breeders usually deal with pet stores...and there are WAY too many people WORKING in pet stores that either do NOT care or just don't have a clue.
    MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
    I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
    Let's just say my house is a zoo)

Comment

My local pet store, not a big chain store gets in little guys too (these are leos though), they allow me to adjust the cages and stuff for them though, so they will be better off, cause I can't afford them all as well. But with big chain stores they really don't have regulations, especially since the order from big breeders, like my local, and those big breeders care more for the money than their youngsters sadly
      1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;
      0.1 Hedgehog; 0.2 Mice; 1.4 Felines; 1.1 Canines

Comment

A "baby" crestie is pretty self-sufficient when you compare it to a "baby" mammal pet. They don't need special food or nurturing - they come out of the egg needing pretty much the same care an adult does, just in smaller portions. If a gecko is healthy, it's pretty much going to do fine after its first few meals. I don't think it is necessary to fuss at a store for selling smaller geckos.

Buying from pet stores period is another issue entirely. If a store has animals kept in poor circumstances (wrong food, bad temps, etc.) talk to the managers and contact corporate offices - you will only be rewarding them if you "rescue" them by paying for the gecko and they'll just replace it with another.
        JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

I wont sell mine under 3gr & I only sell them that small to people who already own crested geckos or have previously owned... basically people I trust to be able to take good care of them. If they have never owned a crestie I wouldnt sell under 8-10 gr. BUUUTTT thats just me... pet stores dont care usually. I saw 4 little hatchlings in a cage at petco with this HUGE water dish, one too big for even an adult. They dont mist and had less than 30% humidity all the time. So this one was super thirsty & it was so sad, he was trying SOO HARD to climb up the dish, meanwhile repeatedly licking the air (trying to get a drink) and when he finally got up there, he almost fell in getting a drink. I marched right up to the manager & asker her as politely as I could if she could change the water dish. I told her cresties arent amphibians... they do not swim & they can drown very easily. I told her I keep quite a few crested geckos & I know better, she switched the dish right in front of me & apologized. also, the guy that works in the reptile/fish section there was very nice. We are sort of friends now because I always educate & talk to him when I go in there. He told me that petco policy (at that store at least) was to keep humidity around 30% & they could keep any size & sex together well, there isnt much he could do about the putting all different cresties together, but he hid a wet sponge in the cage & snuck misting whenever he could. Unfortunately the moisture didnt hold very well because of that hard, bark stuff they use as substrate, but it was better than nothing. He also told me he does dust the crickets & makes sure the eat cgd instead of feeding crickets all the time. So I suggest you to nicely talk to them, all we can do is educate, & its best to be nice or they probably wont listen. Also, I wouldnt suggest "rescuing" the cresties, because unfortunately, they are just going to replace that one with another poor crestie & the same thing will happen all over again. Plus, when we do that we are more or less supporting them, even if that is not our intentions. I once "rescued" a crestie from a petco, but I got him FOR FREE & I would not have paid for him. The poor thing was getting beaten up, skinny, & had stuck shed all over. His toes were all clenched together & you could see his ribs & of course he had lost his tail. It was so sad. This was another petco, one unfortunately farther from my house so I that was the only time I had went there, but I tried to educate that one person as much as I could!

Comment

Actually, pet stores, like Petco DO have policies on how big the animals coming in have to be, to be accepted. HOWEVER, most stores that I have been in don't have a scale to accurately weigh the animals. I know that in my store, if an animal comes in and looks to be on the small side, they are placed in the Wellness room (NOT on the sales floor) until they gain weight and are healthy. Also, working at a Petco for the past two years, as a company, it's baloney that we have a policy that cresteds humidity can't be over 30%. That might be what that particular store does, but that is NOT company policy. The care tags (with prices) that are in front of the enclosure say humidity should be 50-90%, so that the employee is "sneaking" misting? Is a bit unbelievable. Also, the crested gecko care sheets at Petco DO say to feed CGD, (although they do still say you can use babyfood as a treat, *sigh*)

Another unfourtunate thing is that the people that DO know what they are talking about and work at Pet stores are often overlooked because the ones that don't know what they are talking about and all the posts/talk about THOSE workers, make people believe no one at pet stores knows what they are talking about.

I would definitely mention to the store manager that you think the baby crested in the tank is underweight, and that it should be moved off the sales floor until it can grow up a bit. The worst they can do it not move it, and it was already on the sales floor...There is also a 1-800 number you can call to comment, and the stores that you call about get an email with your comment (which is usually taken as more serious than an in-store customer complaint because you took the time to call in).

Buying a pet store animal is a vicious cycle...as soon as one is purchased...another is added to the shipment for next week.
            previously known as hermansmama

Comment

Like I said earlier my local lets me adjust the cages if I tell them it's not right. I would believe telling a big chain pet store, with many workers, someone will tell someone higher up and hopefully fix the issue. I heard pet land is not good about this though. I believe they are on comission, so some may just want to sell sell sell while others may care, so there is probably mixed reviews on that store. Just try to talk to them, if they don't care to listen, talk to higher ups, if they don't care, don't buy from them. No matter how hard it is to not try to save the little guy. They'll just replace him and the cycle of ignorance will continue.
              Has anyone tried contacting who ever is the big breeder suppling the store? I wouldn't know if you could but they may be able to help if they care about their animals. Then again my local pet stores suppliers are pretty dumb. They couldn't tell the difference of green, blue and white in the parakeets they were ordering
              1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;
              0.1 Hedgehog; 0.2 Mice; 1.4 Felines; 1.1 Canines

Comment

I've read numerous threads about people working at chain pet stores and the care the employees give and it seems if you threaten or do go to corporate they're accommodating with their animals. It's not the employees themselves that are unreasonable and uncaring in a higher percentage, but the executives that care only for money and never see the pet stores. You could try to contact a manager or regional manager if you think there's a problem with selling a very small crested, but I don't see the issue with it - as JB said, they are very self sufficient and don't have a size at which they become more independent... they are born that way.

An adult's or juvenile's care is essentially the same as a hatchling so why there would be a weight limit before sales is beyond me.
                My collection

Comment

I have saved the petland reptiles. I basically work there for free and have my own key to each cage and am aloud to do what ever I want to take care of them, yay! Just talk and you never know.
                  Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Mniargekko Chahoua x1 (Java chip)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybee View Post
                    A "baby" crestie is pretty self-sufficient when you compare it to a "baby" mammal pet. They don't need special food or nurturing - they come out of the egg needing pretty much the same care an adult does, just in smaller portions. If a gecko is healthy, it's pretty much going to do fine after its first few meals. I don't think it is necessary to fuss at a store for selling smaller geckos.

This exactly, I don't really see what the big deal is...
                    I tend to put hatchlings up for sale around 4 weeks, so long as they have been eating(pooping) and gaining weight.
                    www.Gracious Geckos.com
                    Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
                    Facebook!

Comment

Ya I knew they could eat CGD right after hatching. I've just never seen any that small in a Big Box store before so I wasn't sure they had a policy on when they could sell or not and it got removed or I just had never seen them because I was never around when they had 'em.

The main reason I was asking it because of that fact, I don't worry if I see a local petstore selling them that small because they get their's locally with no shipping and always have contact with their supplier if things happen. The food was unknown when I went to ask, as the person who cared for the reptiles was off but I was told by a friend who works at a store elsewhere it was probably the Zoomed stuff. The baby was gone when I went back, I donno if they pulled it or if something else was going on cause the food was still out and they didn't have their coming soon sign up that my local one sets on the tanks when they're out of a reptile.

I have no problem with them selling the babies that size if they can correctly care for the little ones, I've just seen scars and other issues by the babies still being there when more adult geckos come in and since that is normally what I see in the tanks... I fear for this little one if it is still around when those arrive.

Anywho, thank you all for your words on this. I guess I've never seen them that small before in a store when I went to look at the reptile and supplies. I'm just going keep trying to figure out what that food was they had in there and see if I can't get them to put it in a smaller dish for next time. I'll just keep an eye and see what goes on. Thank you again, all.
                      FaceBook Page
                      Lots of Crested Geckos and Corn Snakes :: 1.0 Western HogNose :: 2.1 - Kenyan Sand Boa :: 1.0 - Cat :: 0.1 - Corgi :: 0.1 - Leopard Geckos

Comment

I personally don't see too much problem in selling hatchlings as long as they are healthy and eating/pooping ok and have no obvious illnesses. People sell snakes fairly young I think and I believe snakes are more touchy...or at least need more specific care. Though I still don't think I'd buy from a pet store anyhow...pet store chains are known to get their puppies from puppy mills so I can just imagine the kind of bad breeders that may sell geckos to pet stores. In my opinion, I'd only ever buy supplies and insects from a pet store and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by hermansmama View Post
                          Another unfourtunate thing is that the people that DO know what they are talking about and work at Pet stores are often overlooked because the ones that don't know what they are talking about and all the posts/talk about THOSE workers, make people believe no one at pet stores knows what they are talking about.
                          ^THIS

The baby Cresties my store gets in are very tiny, but there's nothing we can do about the size they're shipped to us as. Unfortunately, Cresties are such incredibly slow growers that putting small ones aside until they're larger would take months and not be practical. Like JB said, as long as they're eating and pooping, they're just miniature versions of their adult selves. There's a huge difference between a two-week old hamster and two-week old gecko.
                          Crested Geckos: I lost count :| 60-some last time I checked | Gargoyles: 1.1 | Leachianus: 1.1.1
                          Chahoua: 1.0 | Sarasinorum: 0.1 | Leopard Geckos: 0.2 | Robert Mertens' Day Gecko: 1.1
                          Russian Dwarf Hamster: 0.1 | BUNNEHS: 0.2
                          [-| iHerp |-]

Comment

Thankfully I've made friends with the local pet stores here. I walk in, tell them what's wrong and they usually fix it right in front of me. The crested geckos are now kept at 78 degrees instead of 90. It's great.

As far as size goes, I have a 3g crestie that I've had over a month. I didn't hatch it. Last month it was 2.5g. Some people just sell them small.

Comment

Working...
                            X