crested geckoes and vacations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crested geckoes and vacations

i have 5 betta fish and they are relatively easy to take care of if i go for a vacation. sometimes a fish sitter isnt needed (for certain # of days away) but you'd have to trust them and know they can care for them properly ie proper water change acclimation and not overfeeding.
    i dont really have anyone who can gecko sit though i can probably trust my parent to do so. they'd rather not hold the gecko but the food tray is close to the terrarium (25gal) doors and misting is easy.

my qustion is how do cresties fare without human care in terrrariums that dont have a automatic reptifogger system? i do have a 5g humidifier but that'll only last 30hrs until all water is evaporated.
    lavender cream flame, 8mths old on December 27 2011. Sven Cal, 7g 27/12/11, 9g 12-1-12, 41g 15-11-12

As long as you give them fresh food and a decent sized dish of water, keeps humidity up and yes I have seen them actually drink from one, and mist the enclosures good before you leave, they will be fine for up to a week. I would not push it much further than a week though. After that find someone to at least mist the enclosures if not giving them fresh food too.

I have used this a few times, each time I was gone for a week, and everyone has been fine when I returned. Just make sure your temps stay fairly constant and within acceptable ranges as well.
    -Justin
    J.E.L Reptiles

J.E.L Reptiles on Facebook
    My iHerp Page
    Fauna BOI Reviews

Comment

i went away for a vacation for 5 days and mine were fine. i left them fresh food that morning, misted really well and did the same upon my return. i did put a humid hide box in their enclosures in case the humidity dropped and they needed the humidity. all was well
      2.1.3 cresteds, 1.0 coral snow, and 0.1 sunglow corn snake, 1.0 pastel ball python

Comment

I agree, with the above posts. As far as them being good for a week using water dish, humid hide, and fresh food before you leave. I only recommend doing this with adults and well established juvies. Small hatchlings will need more attention (they dehydrate quicker and don't always take advantage of a water dish), 3-4 days max with hatchlings.
        Jack Williford (Crested Gecko Lab)
        www.crestedgeckolab.com
        17.29.3 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus (Crested Gecko)
        1.0 Boa constrictor imperator (Red Tail Boa)
        0.1.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua
        1.4.0 rhacodactylus auriculatus (Gargoyle Gecko)

Comment

thank you very much for the responses everyone. the current water dish is 2x4 inches and 1 cm deep. atm i have to mist twice a day when it drops to 50%. looks like i'll need to keep a humind hide handy and make the CGD with extra water. my crestie seems to like the 60/40 cgd/water for the time being, dont think ive seen him go for hiswater dish though. the crestie is 16g atm so probably a juvie nearing adult at this point.
          lavender cream flame, 8mths old on December 27 2011. Sven Cal, 7g 27/12/11, 9g 12-1-12, 41g 15-11-12

Comment

I've left 7 geckos alone for a week once. I think they enjoyed me not being around actually lol just provide plenty of food water and make sure temps are regulated.
            Thank You! -
            I have a lot of geckos......... I stopped counting.
            http://www.geckodome.com

Comment

So does a 3 month old juvie need extra attention?
              Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Mniargekko Chahoua x1 (Java chip)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Comment

I now have a humidifier in my room, drip containers for the cages, and water bowls placed in all the cages. Bugs are fed heavily the night before I leave, and fresh cgd within the hour before I leave. I'm never gone for more than 4 days, and everyone seems to do fine.
                Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
                :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Extremecrestie View Post
                  So does a 3 month old juvie need extra attention?
                  I would say a three month old juvie should be fine for a week. Guess it depends on if the gecko is eating well, of good size, and body condition is good. A gecko that is the same age could be quite a bit smaller and thin. If you have to question it, I would play it safe and maybe invest in a dripper with a resevoir or find a sitter.
                  Jack Williford (Crested Gecko Lab)
                  www.crestedgeckolab.com
                  17.29.3 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus (Crested Gecko)
                  1.0 Boa constrictor imperator (Red Tail Boa)
                  0.1.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua
                  1.4.0 rhacodactylus auriculatus (Gargoyle Gecko)

Comment

I'm OK leaving my geckos for up to three days (with clean water bowls and damp humid hides), but longer than that and I have someone come mist and feed them at least once.

I leave food premixed in the refrigerator in a squirt bottle, have the mister all full of water, and leave clean food bowls by all the cages so all my gecko-sitter has to do is pull out the old bowl and throw that in a bin with Dawn water, mist, and put in the new bowl with food.

Comment

Call me a worry wart no I wouldnt leave my gecko unattended for a week.

One the CGD will dry up, if you ever noticed if you change your food every other day, if you wait ever 2 days it is all dried up and crusty. Even if you make a ton of it and leave it in the cage then you have to worry about mold.

Misting is another thing, yes if you buy a fogger or mister it could work, but the problem is who will be around to add the water too it? A larger water dish, if the gecko is small you and a drowning issue . As stated they poop in their water so now you would be forcing them to drink water with fecal matter in it...mmmm poop water.

Honestly if you could have someone come over every other day and feed your gecko, as Laura said you can make a weeks worth of CGD and leave it in the fridge for them. Or heck even every 2 days, IMO if you cant find a pet sitter, then dont get the pet. There are always reliable local people you can trust, try calling your local reptile vet and see if they can suggest someone, or heck maybe even one of the techs will do it.
                      lets just say I have a lot of stuff
                      www.sublimereptiles.com
                      Facebook
                      BOI

Comment

Hi Mel,

I agree, I wouldn't leave my geckos for a week, maybe 3 days max

Cole
                        Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Mniargekko Chahoua x1 (Java chip)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Comment

You guys are seriously brave. I freak out about leaving my guys alone overnight... the air in my room is really dry and I know their food is a crusty cake two days in. But maybe I'm paranoid? I'd totally leave my hamsters and my fish for 3-5 days without worry. :P

Just misting and swapping out food isn't difficult for a pet-sitter. Just pre-mix some CGD and leave it in the fridge for them to swap out.
                          Crested Geckos: I lost count :| 60-some last time I checked | Gargoyles: 1.1 | Leachianus: 1.1.1
                          Chahoua: 1.0 | Sarasinorum: 0.1 | Leopard Geckos: 0.2 | Robert Mertens' Day Gecko: 1.1
                          Russian Dwarf Hamster: 0.1 | BUNNEHS: 0.2
                          [-| iHerp |-]

Comment

Wow when I go to see my boyfriend who lives an hour away just overnight I have my dad see to them any longer and I call my friend to mist them everyday

---
                            I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?djlvom
                            Raxicorocofalipitorious

Comment

I would worry less about food and more about misting & proper humidity levels. I don't like leaving mine unattended more than a night or two, but I know they'll be fine - I just worry about drying out or being too wet if I spray too much before leaving.

They can go for weeks without food.
                              Specializing in Crested Geckos
                              Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                              Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                              Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X