Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does my gecko attack water droplets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my gecko attack water droplets?

does anyone elses gecko do this?

I mist his tank, and when the water runs down the side of the tank in droplets, he lunges at them and hits hit face on the tank. Im wondering if he thinks they are crickets or something? i have never gave him crickets but he was fed them once a week before i got him.

normal behavior or not?

Normal! Most of mine attack anything that moves and looks small enough to eat, especially the babies. My adults do so less often.
    https://www.facebook.com/Creptileroom

Comment

ok, good. I was thinking about getting him a couple crickets tomorrow to try as a snack and so he can get his hunt on.

Comment

My adults only do this when their water dishes are empty and they're thirsty.

I would mist more often and make sure a full water dish is available at all times... just in case.
        www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
        Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
        3.9.20+ crested geckos
        Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
        Pickle - unsexed leachie

Comment

interesting misskiwi. I Mist at night and just a couple sprays in the morning, and i keep a .75 cup of water in the tank. should i get a wider water dish, and keep it shallow?

Comment

I enjoy giving mine live food every week and half to two weeks. If you do, I would get a good calcium powder to dust them with. As long as your gecko is eating CGD well, there is no harm in adding in a few crickets now and then! Most of mine love to hunt so I let them hunt them down on their own. I do feed them in a separate container though, I keep a spare KK just for live food days.

Comment

Yeah, i would like to feed him crickets more often, but living in an apartment and keeping crickets dont really mix, lol.

crestielovely, what calcium powder do you find to work the best?

edit: yes he has been eating his cgd and been pooping regularly, so i think it will be ok to give him a cricket snack.

Comment

Originally posted by Misskiwi67 View Post
                My adults only do this when their water dishes are empty and they're thirsty.

I would mist more often and make sure a full water dish is available at all times... just in case.
                Interesting. Usually mine will just walk up and lick standing drops if they are thirsty, but attack when they seem to think the moving drops are bugs.

Comment

I use Repti-cal with D3 to dust bugs with.

Comment

Originally posted by Crestielovely View Post
                    Interesting. Usually mine will just walk up and lick standing drops if they are thirsty, but attack when they seem to think the moving drops are bugs.
                    Maybe I only mist them heavily enough to create moving drops when I feel horrible their dishes are empty?

I keep a humidifier in my gecko room, so I don't tend to mist heavily very often.
                    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
                    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
                    3.9.20+ crested geckos
                    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
                    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Comment

Working...
                    X