No announcement yet.

Using real wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh sorry my page didn't refresh, i missed all the previous comments...woops!

Comment

Woods like pine and cedar give off a toxin called phenols (hydrocarbons). This is due to the oils in the woods that help repel insects and other animals from targeting the trees. The oils are actually used in cleaners (the scent from pine sol really is pine oil). Over time these chemicals can cause respiratory issues with animals. If you don't know the type of wood, don't use it.

I found cherry and pear (probably apple) work really well and I have easy access to it. Be sure to soak it in clean water for about 24 hours and then bake it. I bake it until completely dry, about 3-4 hours, at 250 degrees.

If you notice mold growth simply replace the wood. I only get mold if the wood is sunk into the substrate. The buried parts grow easy. Keep in mind that even though you need high humidity for our little friends you should allow enough time for everything to dry between misting.

edit: I read the article. If you ask me there shouldn't even be a debate. If there is any sort of risk involved I am not going to take it. I would imagine that the problems associated with pine and cedar would only be in highly concentrated environments, but why take stupid risks with a creatures life? If you want to sniff phenols all day be my guest, but we have taken lives into our hands and with that it is our responsibility to do our best to care for them.

Comment

Also besides the oils being toxic the smell will put animals like snakes and bearded dragons off of food. I have never seen or used the 'aromatic' woods in with geckos so I cant say for sure its an issue. Best bet is if your out collecting wood is to break off a fresh chunk and smell. If you smell anything stronger than the normal mild smell of a common wood such as Oak or Burch then avoid it.
        Sarah & Jake
        LunarGecko.net
        Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
        You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Comment

Working...
        X