Using real wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using real wood?

I've got to wonder if using real wood would be a very good idea, with constant misting couldn't it lead to mold or something similar?

Probably. Not to mention bugs, germs, and etc. you wouldn't want in your crestie.
    3.3.3.0 Crested geckos
    0.1.0.0 Leopard geckos

Comment

even if you boil it, things can find their way back in. I've had issues with real things from petstores! Boiled it and nasty bugs floated out even after 30 minutes they were still floating out. I just returned it and told them.

Comment

Anyone know a cheap alternative? Pet stores like to overcharge a lot for things like that.

Comment

I have always heard that baking the wood in an oven would destroy any bugs. i was planning on picking up some driftwood later this week by the river and trying this. anyone advise against this? or will it be fine?

Comment

If you do that, don't forget to soak the wood first so that it doesn't catch fire, and make sure when you're collection that you don't get any soft woods like pine or cedar, these can kill your pet in no time.
            2:0:0 White's tree frogs
            0:0:2 Hermit crabs 1:1:0 African Reed frogs 2:2:0 Crested geckos
            0:1:0 Gargoyle gecko 2:0:0 Parrotlets 1:0:0 Biewer Yorkie

Comment

I bought some dried wood from my local reptile store and it started growing mold after a week, so I figured I was misting too often, so I boiled the branches for about ten minutes first, and then left them in the oven until they were completely dried. Since then I haven't had any problems with mold!

Comment

yeah there's some wood that's really good against mold. Do note that your house might smell a bit funky haha

Comment

^^ when you bake it!

Comment

also im not going to pay 20 dollars for a 12 " piece of wood from the pet store. i can find much nicer pieces for free. im just cautious about if its safe, or what type of wood it is...guess im not really a wood expert and wouldnt be able to tell if it was cedar.

Comment

I have used fallen branches and drift wood from the local lake. Never had any problems. I baked my last batch for a few hours at 250, didn't soak them first or anything, and I actually rather enjoyed the smell of wood. Not sur what type of wood it is but I never thought about a certain type of wood from here being harmful to my reptiles... Can anyone clarify this?

Comment

Everyone has a vast amount of different opinions on this subject. Some breeders/reptile enthusiasts will tell you the NEVER use anything live and only put plastics/fake item in their tanks. Others say they use them but to bleach them with 1/10 mixture bleach and water. Then rinse the wood off well with just water and let air dry. Then you can also bake the wood, numerous different degrees being used from 250-350.

To be honest my opinion is that it is perfectly fine to use wood from the outside. I think some people get over zealous with never taking something from the wild, and that it will hurt your animal when that really is just incorrect. My method of choice for sanitation is baking it in the oven. I pre-rinse the wood then put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. You can also bake it at 200-250 for 2-3 hours but if you dont have that time to watch your over the 30 mins at 350 should be fine.

In conclusion IMO its perfectly fine to take wood pieces out of the wild to use for your tanks just sanitize them with one of those options if not both of them and you will be fine.

-Ryan Z

Comment

Best is searching the internet for LIMA ROOT (Wacky Wood), MOPANI WOOD, DRIFTWOOD, and DRIED CACTUS. Other than that I would definately stay away from cedar, redwood, pine, ect. I also LOVE BAMBOO....I get it at Hobby Lobby in 5 foot pieces for about $6.00 and cut it up with a jigsaw to size.
                          Dana
                          Custom Backgrounds & Terrariums/Tanks www.danasdesigns.weebly.com
                          3.4.3.4 Cresties, 0.2 Corn snake, 1.1 Kitties

Comment

I'd like to ask why it was commented that Ceder and Pine will kill your animals fast. Please don't just give a simple one sentence answer talking about toxins. First off all the research I have done has talked about ceder being toxic, but that was only in cedar shavings like you would use for the bottom of a guinea pig cage. Does this also then mean that a solid or cut piece of cedar would be toxic. I read this article the other day and it really enlightened me to what was going on with this debate. If this is false or someone with credible information would like to contradict this please do.

http://forum.pets-warehouse.com/f37/...mall-5897.html

-Ryan Z

Comment

option! get some bamboo from a craft store! I spent like 5 bucks a Michael's for bamboo taller than me! haha probably 6 feet of bamboo. Cut it up as you please

Comment

Working...
                              X