Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of hide do you like? I forgot my hide!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of hide do you like? I forgot my hide!

I was redirting my plants into organic soil, and I realized I have NO hidey. i was thinking the mini half log or the little cave thing with some moss? Arg!
    Cresties: Taco and Waffles. Beardies: Yoshi. Tokay: Jacobi

Most of my geckos don't have hides other than toilet paper rolls, they seem fine with that. For a few I have butter dishes with an opening cut in them. It sounds like you're going with a more naturalist setup though, so my hides would probably be an eye sore in your tank.
    1.1.0 E. agricolae

Comment

Aw, no way! I'd do any kind of DIY or inexpensive thing! I'm just trying to match what I'd assume the baby will enjoy .

Can a lay box or what ever it is called be the same as a hidey?

Comment

Seriously, put a toilet paper roll in! Most of my geckos love them.
        1.1.0 E. agricolae

Comment

I so will . Do you use moss at all?

Comment

Nope, I use shelf liner or paper towels as substrate. My setups aren't the best looking, but they're easy to clean and the geckos do fine in them. If you just have one for now you could probably manage to go a bit more aesthetically pleasing though.
            1.1.0 E. agricolae

Comment

For my hatchling and juvies, I've started using a suction cupped plastic soap dish filled with silk foliage. For my adult "display tanks" I'm using cork rolls and the magnetic hides from Pangea.

I also have "humid hides" in all my tanks, too. DIY ones made out of plastic food storage containers with a corner cut off for access and a few holes punched in them for ventilation.

Comment

My crestie LOVES his toilet paper roll. He somehow manages to curl himself up inside of it and it's just the cutest thing.
                1.0.0 R. Ciliatus [Ender]

Comment

i bought a tiny 1/2 log, to cover me til I get a toilet paper roll. With 5 people in the house you would think I'd get one :P

Comment

mine have a habit of hiding in the middle of a paper towel tube so I can't get them out haha
                    Gargoyle Gecko 3.1.2, Pygmy Mice (lots)
                    Darren http://www.iherp.com/pennhillszoo

Comment

hey sorry to resurrect the thread but whenever you guys spray your tank don't the paper towel rolls run the risk of getting wet and moldy?

Comment

Originally posted by techflork View Post
                        hey sorry to resurrect the thread but whenever you guys spray your tank don't the paper towel rolls run the risk of getting wet and moldy?
                        Mine don't get moldy, I just don't saturate them. I have mine about 3/4 up the tank in some vines so I try to not mist it so much.

Comment

If mine do get dirty (getting pooped on is more likely than getting moldy, in my humidity) I just change them out. It makes for a real easy spot cleaning! Between them pooping on me outside the cage, pooping somewhere where I can easily clean it, or pooping on the TP / PT roll, their substrate stays pretty clean!

Our family never throws away TP rolls, PT rolls, lids, or organic lettuce boxes (lay boxes) any more.
                          *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
                          0.2 cats
                          0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
                          1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Comment

I just made a cheapy hide for my crestie. It's a black plastic plumbing pipe attached to the side of the tank by velcro, cost around $5 to make. My crestie is enjoying it and it's not that bad looking if you get black piping instead of the white one.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that idea! I didn't know they came in black.
                              *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
                              0.2 cats
                              0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
                              1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Comment

Working...
                              X