Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidity issues

hey all
    i am having trouble trying to keep my humidity up i have read that it should be between 60-80%. is this correct?? whats the best way to keep humidity in the tank i have the R-Zilla Fresh Air Acrylic Atrium i put an extra piece of plexi glass on the bottom screen because i have eco earth and real plants. im new to cresties and dont ant nothing to happen to my lil girl. Thanks in advance for any input
    Jenn
    0.1.1.1 Crested Gecko "Quinn, sunkist"
    1.10.1 Leopard Gecko "Sublime, Spot, Bella, Layla, pinky, queen of hearts,smiley, red, waterdrop "
    1.0. Red Eared Slider "Turtle"
    3.5. Bearded Dragons "Spike,Buffy, Willow"
    1.0.0 Dutch Rabbit "Anya"
    2 Fish Tanks

Humidity can go down to 40% during the day, then around 80% at night. Covering a portion of the screen top with a moist towel should help, just be sure to change it out once or twice a week to prevent mildew.
    Our children are our legacy. What we teach them is what we leave behind.

Comment

Thanks i will try that as soon as i get home. i also read on one of the threads that covering part of the top screen with plexi glass should work too but i will try the towel first. should i have a uv light in there as well as the nighttime light? my biggest probem is that my apartment gets really hot during the day (the buildings heat comes on strong)
      1.10.1 Leopard Gecko "Sublime, Spot, Bella, Layla, pinky, queen of hearts,smiley, red, waterdrop "
      2 Fish Tanks

Comment

Be sure its not getting too warm for crestie, temps over 80 can stress them pretty easily.

There are different views on uvb light. Many people say its not needed for healthy cresties. The d3 they would get from uvb is in CGD. I personally use a 2.0 uvb tube light. Its weak for a reptile, its meant for amphibians. If you want light for plants, I would recommend that one. It gives a nice sunlight look to the tank, and they don't get hot. I can touch the tube after its been on for hours. Plus, its much cheaper than the 5.0 or 10.0 that are made for reptiles.

Comment

yea i want it mostly for the plants i have in there but i don't wanna stress my crestie. quick question did u mean a wet paper towel or like a wet wash cloth or some thing along those lines?
          2 Fish Tanks

Comment

Any of those would probably work, but a damp folded towel will keep humidity longer.

I don't think the uvb stresses them. My cresties usually sleep as close to the light as they can get. They seem to like it. Plus, the uvb makes my two fire up during the day, so I rarely see them fired down.

Comment

UVBs will not stress out the crested, its just like having the sun shining on them in their natural habitat. Using a UVB for your plants is a great idea and they really benefit from it. I would not use any more than a 5.0 UVB. What is your tank size? Also, since you are using a UVB light you do not need to supplement as much Vitamin D3 because D3 is also retained from UV rays being absorbed through the skin just like it is in us humans. Vitamin D3 is essential in all animals and humans to help the body break down calcium to be used in the body(to put it in simplest terms) Using repashy Calcium ICB is a perfect balance for UV light and supplementing correct amounts of vitamins and calcium. There is a possibility of producing toxic levels of Vitamin D3 as there is with oversupplementation of any Vitamin; it takes a lot of D3 to produce toxic levels, so you really dont have to worry I was just throwing that out there as food for thought

At night I would turn out all lights just to resemble day and nighttime. They need this cycle just like us humans do except they are nocturnal so they operate during then night rather than the day like us. If you are worried about temps droping at night and not staying at 70-78 degrees, do not worry about it. You should let the temps drop at night. The fluctuation in temps is also like it is in their natural habitat and they can withstand temps dropping down to the mid 60s. I have found that my cresteds do better in temps around 70-73 during the day and they drop down to about 65 at night.
              Keeping your humidity up that high at all times is not necessary. You can let your humidity levels drop pretty low during the day even to 0% without it being to detrimental to your crested. That is as long as you spray well atleast at night before lights out. I would recommend just spraying one good time at night and again first thing in the morning. Thats what I do and it works well. You can also provide a water bowl or dish (nothing big that they can drown in or swim in) that they can drink out of if they want plus it keeps a little moisture in the air. Or you can provide a "wet hide" which also keeps them hydrated very well if they use it and keeps their skin nice and healthy.
              4.4.6 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
              0.1.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua (PI)
              1.0.0 Strophurus Taenicauda (White Eye)
              1.0.0 Strophurus C. Ciliaris

Comment

my tank is the r-zilla 18"L x 12"W x 20"H, thanks for the info!
                2 Fish Tanks

Comment

if necessary cover a portion of the screen but not too much.also mist the cage everyday keep the eco earth wet and moist.
                  1.2.5 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
                  0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus

Comment

Working...
                  X