dead hatchling..owner error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dead hatchling..owner error

While cleaning the computer room today, I found the little desiccated body of a hatchling. He must have come from what I thought was my clutch of dud eggs that just burst with no baby to be found.

I imagine he hatched and climbed out of his plastic gladware container with lid left ajar. I never saw him to care for him properly. He probably had a clutchmate, too, who will also die in my house.

I learned that my incubation containers need to be more secure! The small one is now in a critter keeper. I poked ventilation holes in the other incubation container and put the lid on securely.

I just hope my sad story will keep other beginners from losing hatchlings as needlessly as I did.
    Julie
    lots of cresteds and a fair amount of gargoyles

I'm sorry Julie, that's a horrible way to lose babies. I personally use Lock & Lock containers, which have snap down lids. Extremely secure and no accidental lids coming loose. I wish you tons of luck with your next batch!
    ~ Dorothy ~

4.7 Crested Gecko ~ 2.0.1 Chahoua ~ 0.1 Gargoyle
    1.2 Leopard Gecko ~ 1.0 Bearded Dragon ~ 1.1 Pictus
    1.0 Anole ~ 1.0 Box Turtle ~ 1.0 Tree Frog

Comment

Really sorry to hear that
      Derek Dunlop
      DDReptiles
      www.DDReptiles.net
      Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Comment

That really sucks!!!

Comment

Sorry to hear about this. Using an incubator or a larger container around the first might help though, because it'd provide a secondary shield for them to try to escape from.
          Honor and valor were long ago drowned by the very society they swore to protect.

8.10.9 Crested Geckos
          1.2 Gargoyle Geckos
          1.1 Tangerine Phase Albino AFT's
          0.3 Peach Phase Albino AFT's (two are striped)
          1.0 Bearded Dragons
          1.2 Viper Geckos
          1.1 Yellow-headed Cape Geckos
          0.1 Panther Geckos
          There'll be more, just you wait and see

http://www.celticisle.com/infernal_star/

Comment

Thats such a shame. Same sort of thing happened about 18 month ago to us (although ours was U lineatus), we had the female drop a few infertile eggs, we went on holiday when we came home the next morning we found a dead baby on the floor, it had got out between the glass (we didn't know there were any eggs) a few days later the sibling turned up dead in the wardrobe.

Comment

Working...
            X