Petco disastser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petco disastser

Ok guys I went to Petco the other day to get dog food, and there is a employee there that works in the reptile dept. I have gotten to know a bit, I went to check out their cresteds, and saw that they had a couple with missing toes, I mentioned this to the Petco employee, and she said oh well then they are up for adoption, I filled out the adoption forms, and brought them home, and inspected them closer, one of them has a foot with no toes and a few missing on the front feet, and the other a dalmation has a missing toe on the front foot, I am wondering since they are a deformity, and not an injury, is there any special attention that any one would reccomend, to make sure these guys are ok??

Originally posted by lucky13lizards

Ok guys I went to Petco the other day to get dog food, and there is a employee there that works in the reptile dept. I have gotten to know a bit, I went to check out their cresteds, and saw that they had a couple with missing toes, I mentioned this to the Petco employee, and she said oh well then they are up for adoption, I filled out the adoption forms, and brought them home, and inspected them closer, one of them has a foot with no toes and a few missing on the front feet, and the other a dalmation has a missing toe on the front foot, I am wondering since they are a deformity, and not an injury, is there any special attention that any one would reccomend, to make sure these guys are ok??
    I'm sure they'll be okay. My guess would be it was from big crickets when they were younger.

Comment

I want to throw in my two cents here. I went up to petco the other day looking for a uvb bulb for my beardie and saw that they have $10 off of their cresteds this week. I had been there a week earlier and saw that they had only one on display but the employ said there were four babies in the back. So I saw they were on sale and asked to see them. They are tiny and there were at least four crickets in there nearly twice as big as the head of the babies. I told the guy that they were two big, that my adult wouldn't even eat crickets that big. He told me he would pull them out and he didn't know who fed them that morning. They were cute but nothing too fancy. There was one I might get. They were all brown ones though. I think I'm going to drive an hour in the other direction and try a pet store in the other town. It sucks living in the middle of no where. I have to drive an hour to get to a big town

Comment

i feel your pain on the driving part. it takes me an hour to get to the nearest decent pet store and on top of that. the one i like to go to is almost 2 hours away.

Comment

I picked up a nice greenish yellow female, but she has floppy tail. Worth the pricewith $10 off sale. She is an adult they have had since a baby. $42 with tax is a nice pick-up.
          Later-Jason Juchems
          Later and Happy Herping,
          Jason Juchems
          Author of:Poison Dart Frogs: A Guide to Care and Breeding
          Past President,Central Illinois Herpetological Society

Comment

Missing toes

Just a thought. If you have one missing all the toes on one foot you might want to create a viv with multiple levels with ladders or cork bark or something between them so that it is easier for the gecko to climb. I'm sure that it won't be as nimble as a gecko with all of its toe pads.

Max
            Max & Frances

Sticky Toed Geckos

Comment

Its not a big deal
              Ive a female that Ive since shes little and has missing toes on a front leg too and she grew up fine. I didnt do anything more than with other cresties.
              I would say that she were even more active that the other little guy a bought at the same time.

It was probably due to a bad shed. Babies need a little more humidity but petstore dont seems to care about it.

Comment

Petco Crestie Secret...

Sometimes Petco receives some real jewels that the distributors somehow let slip through the cracks. A friend of mine was a manager and would always get pick of the group that would come in. She has some amazing cresties that you would have never guessed came from Petco and that could be worth upwards of $300.

Being an employee of the Petco myself, I apologize for most of the stupid people who work there.
                The many animals I live with...

6.4.21 Crested Geckos (Plus 5 Eggs)
                1.0.0 Australian Shepherd Dog

Comment

I too have seen the crix the same size as hatchlings...and the high humidity and the shed sticking to the babies. I grabbed an employee and explained the problems, but still the same problems existing...

I don't know who grabs the cresties to ship them out, but I managed to get a super nice male and a great female. The female was an unsexed 2 or 3 week old, if that....don't know how it slipped in there, but couldn't leave it cause I knew it would be a death sentence, so brought her home, lol. She turned out really nice, so ended well.
                  ~ Dorothy ~

4.7 Crested Gecko ~ 2.0.1 Chahoua ~ 0.1 Gargoyle
                  1.2 Leopard Gecko ~ 1.0 Bearded Dragon ~ 1.1 Pictus
                  1.0 Anole ~ 1.0 Box Turtle ~ 1.0 Tree Frog

Comment

I'm too new to this to know if one of them is "nice", especially so young. The babies I've seen at the two petco's I went too were brown. I have one store 1 hour away in either direction. One at each store had some pattern on its back, the others were just a little more colored than a buckskin. There was one though that was a strange looking fellow indeed. Oh and strange thing is only one of the two had the cresteds on sale.

Comment

Working...
                    X