Vocal Cresteds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vocal Cresteds?

One day I picked up "OF" and she kinda clicked and squeeked at me. I knew they vocalized but had never heard this before. When do cresteds usually talk ? Thanks

Generally cresties only talk when they are kept in groups, or when they are freaked out when you pick them up.
    Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make. ---Count Dracula

Comment

I probably scared her when I touched her, although she is housed with 1.1 others. I hope she is ok!

Comment

Well if you are worried just watch and observe to make sure all is going well.
        Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make. ---Count Dracula

Comment

shes still eating so thats good!

Comment

Its perfectly normal. Sometimes when i pick up one female and rub her belly to feel for eggs she makes a weird noise........but i still havn't gotten the hang of feeling the eggs :wink:

Comment

one of my breeders squeals at me every time I touch her near her rear end, or lower belly... she also does it when the boy is on her... :P

I had 2 males together for a while, and the smaller one was always vocalizing, probably cause the big one was giving him crap.

it's normal ... when they do it? well, depends on the gecko... some I never hear talk, others do it regularly...

Comment

My buddy's crested females talk all the time. I can't believe how loud they can be. The most hysterical thing I saw was when the male just happened to be walking by the female on the way to the food dish. She got "angry cat tail" and started chewing him out. "MEP! Meh meh meh. Mep! Mep!" Shaking her head, shaking her tail. LOL, he just looked at her like, "What?", and walked on.
                Connie Hurley along with the sticky toes: Cheeto, Echo, Ditto, Whisper, Flicker, Richochet, Reverb, Granite, Marble, and Alabaster

http://cccorns.com
                http://cedarcreeksaussies.com

Comment

I think mine makes noises every now and then (or im just hearing things) cuz there is always an unexplained sound every week or so.
                  0.1 Albino Leopard Gecko\'s
                  0.0.1 Ball python\'s
                  0.1 Blood python\'s
                  0.0.2 Crested Gecko

Comment

MINE VOCALIZE ALL THE TIME, I MEAN ALOT! ESPECIALLY WHEN BREEDING. I ONLY KEEP A COUPLE FEMALES TOGEATHER BUT THEY STILL CHAT ALOT. MY 125 HAS A DIVIDER IN IT SO THAY CAN SEE EACH OTHER, SO THAT MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT. :?
                    Rick Moss...Tigerbarr,inc.

Comment

I am so bummed, I have yet to hear anything out of any of mine
                      Nell Rux
                      a.k.a. Frozen Gecko
                      Just Ice Reptile

Comment

In my personal experience I have observed a lot of different behavior in my colony in an attempt to provide more detail information on the crested gecko's social structure and habits. When mating crested geckos display numerous behavioral changes. For instance the male will normally aproach the female with a slow and dileberate strut, almost giving the female a visual breifing on what is to fallow. He then approaches from behind and begins to lick the female. The female then begins to cluck or make clicking noises while shaking her head or waving her tail. The male usual fallow by a few clicking noises of his own making his intention to breed all but to obvious. Often time the male when then begin to bite down on the female to assert his dominance and move her into a preferable position to copulate. The vocalization increase until the male finally has the female pinned with his mouth clamping down on the females crest area. Breeding ensues and valua!
                        Males if placed in the same enclosure will often begin to cluck and click and even grunt quiet loudly right before and during there battle for alpha gecko status and/or territory and females.
                        Crested gecko vocalization appears to be a form of communication to establish dommence and demonstrate sexual intention. And on occasion irritation at there owners or anything disturbing them for that matter. As far as everyday communication i am under the assumption that they rely mainly on head and tail and body posture & positions as a simplified exchange of general emotion. Well hope this at least kind of helps for those of you who ever wondered what the hell they were doing?!!

I don't claim to be a herpetologist, just sharing some insightful observations with my fellow rhac addicts!
                        "The foulest death is preferable to the cleanest slavery"

Comment

damn eli! my tigerbarr needs to come to your place and take some manner classes. when i put in my females in with him he runs up to them and pretty much rapes em. no foreplay, no courting, just strait to it. the girls have no choice. kinda feel bad for em...but they are giving me alot of eggs,no matter how they go about it. but mine all seem to vocalize alot. especially during breeding.
                          Rick Moss...Tigerbarr,inc.

Comment

My females are the only ones that vocalize. I don't let them play with boys yet :wink: .
                            -Marina York-

4.3.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
                            0.0.1 Rhacodactylus chahoua
                            0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus (B)
                            1.0.0 ball python
                            0.1.0 BCI
                            0.2.0 leopard geckos

Comment

i havent breed yet but at night just when im beginning to fall asleep to the sound to crixs i hear a diffrent sound i always though it was just a weird sounding cricket never heard it when i had the crix in the garage so i just assumed it wasent my male i guess ill have to listen more closley
                              gecko luv!! so much better than human luv dont you think? men sux!

Comment

Working...
                              X