Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDReptiles
    replied
    I bake my wood at about 350-400 for 10 min. (That kills a lot of things) I do smell the wood burning and I usually get minor black spots after cooking it.

Leave a comment:

• lilroach56
    replied
    If i were cleaning a large piece of wood with like dry feces and stuff on it. I think i would first soak it in water (or a 1:10 bleach:water) for a day just to loosen up all the crap on it. Then scrub it then let it dry then bake it (no need to bake if bleach:water). If bleach water i'd soak it in water after i scraped it then rinse real good.

Leave a comment:

• FrozenGecko
    replied
    Can you sterilize it this way more than once without harming the item (like part of a regular cleaning/sterilizing routine)?

Leave a comment:

• lilroach56
    replied
    I've only done it with cypress mulch and random branches. Nothing happens....

Wood doesn't combust until like something crazy like 800 degrees or something so you don't need to worry about fire. i left some cypress in for an hour yesterday at 350 and it was fine.

Leave a comment:

• RangerGrrl
    replied
    Hey, thanks for the info. Does 350 degrees ever scorch the outside of the cork at all? I think I might do lower temp for longer time.....

Leave a comment:

• lilroach56
    replied
    I always do 30 minutes or so at 350. Once i get my temp gun i will judge times better...

Leave a comment:

• Donn S
    replied
    I've always baked at 250 for about 20 minutes depending on the size of your wood. I've only done this with crypress mulch so I'm not sure on big chuncks.

Leave a comment:

• RangerGrrl
    started a topic Sterilizing cork for enclosures

Sterilizing cork for enclosures

Hi everyone.

I have a bunch of cork I just bought at Daytona and I want to sterilize it before I put it into various cages. I remember reading about sterilizing dirt, sand, or branches by baking them in the oven.

Does anyone know what temperature and time I need to bake it at in order to sterilize it :?:

Thanks!
Working...
X